Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Sc400 tranny issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-13, 02:15 PM
Chefao
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sc400 tranny issue

My sc is sick. Extremely bumpy and rumbly getting out of first then smooth sailing. But if I have to stop again she rumbles and won't let me out if 1st. I'll eventually lose all gears and she just revs. I pull over and wait then she is fine....until it all starts again. Shift solenoid?

The other weird things is I can hear what sounds like gurgles in my gas tank. Anyone have insight?
Old 03-16-13, 08:25 PM
Chefao
Rookie

Wow! Silence?
Old 03-16-13, 08:43 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bad trans is what it sounds like.
Old 03-16-13, 09:28 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Chefao
My sc is sick. Extremely bumpy and rumbly getting out of first then smooth sailing. But if I have to stop again she rumbles and won't let me out if 1st. I'll eventually lose all gears and she just revs. I pull over and wait then she is fine....until it all starts again. Shift solenoid?

The other weird things is I can hear what sounds like gurgles in my gas tank. Anyone have insight?
Somehow the gas tank and tranny issue is related, though I know it is not related. Mine is doing the same thing as of today and today is the first time I have had the gas tank gurgle too so I know they are related even though they have nothing to do with each other.

Basically what the OP is describing is the sound of the gas tank blowing bubbles for about ten seconds after the car is shut off, and it is fairly audible running as well. It's exactly what you would hear if you reversed the fuel pump and it blew air for ten seconds. Until my tranny went on the fritz today it never did it, but it's nearly what his is doing only progressed to won't engage within one day.

Last edited by O. L. T.; 03-16-13 at 09:33 PM.
Old 03-18-13, 10:04 PM
Chefao
Rookie

The saga continues. My car won't give me 2-4. She will give me 1st for about a mile then it falls out if first and just revs. If I wait it will give me 1st again ( and reverse) but no other gears. I'm afraid it's not a shift solenoid issue because my understanding is that I should be able to manually shift if both shift solenoids fail. Is this what everyone else understands? I assume I am in limp mode now.

What does the lock-up solenoid do?

Anyone have any insight? Maybe I'll start looking for a used tranny...
Old 03-18-13, 10:26 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

That is for sure what a failing trans does no doubt about it!
Old 03-18-13, 11:48 PM
chiken
Rookie

I assume you have checked your fluid level and such. Its either low fluid, clogged filter or bad tranny from the sounds of it.
Old 03-19-13, 08:21 PM
Chefao
Rookie

Originally Posted by chiken
I assume you have checked your fluid level and such. Its either low fluid, clogged filter or bad tranny from the sounds of it.
My fluid is not low...might even be a bit high. I haven't checked the filter. I'll turn a back flip if all it needs is a clean one.

Are we ruling out solenoids based on the info I've given?
Old 03-19-13, 08:32 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I wouldn't rule them out entirely. It would be worth to pull the pan and inspect them.
Old 03-20-13, 07:54 AM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

^^ yeah, look for bit's of metal shavings on the magnetic pan.
Old 03-20-13, 11:15 AM
chiken
Rookie

When it slips in all forward gears will it go into reverse? I cant see all solenoids going bad at once. Maybe a bad/broken/shorted common electrical circuit but given the symptoms it sounds like a pressure issue. Those sounds you are hearing could be the pump gurgling. Mine is doing it as well and im having pressure problems. I put a quart of lucas in and the increased viscosity and whatever o ring conditioners they put in there have worked wonders on my trans but its not a perminant fix, just a bandaid to buy some time.
Old 03-20-13, 12:59 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

once it starts slipping in all of the gears there is no real way of saving it.

those symptoms sound like too much pressure in the gas tank, the ecu uses alot of sensors to decide when to vent the charcoal canister which basically traps the pressure in the gas tank, and when you have pressure in the system the fuel pump has to work much harder and you will get some weird sounds, especially when the pump turns off. If you take off your gas cap and it tries to take off like a rocket out of your hands, that could be the mystery. maybe the trans being bad affects the speed sensor or something?
Old 03-22-13, 03:42 PM
vsrdude
Driver School Candidate

Default back pressure in the gas tank

Just a thought. A crank case ventilation system failure might generate that type of back pressure.
Old 03-22-13, 05:37 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

But will not have anything to do with a slipping trans^^

Trans is done no way around it but you can pick them up for dirt cheap if you look good.
Old 03-23-13, 03:17 AM
clydes93
Driver School Candidate

FILTER FILTER FILTER...should be changed EVERY 10,000 without fail.

Quick Reply: Sc400 tranny issue