Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1995 Lexus SC400 help

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-13, 07:45 AM
CubKen
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 Lexus SC400 help

Hello, I'm new to the forums and this is my first post and reason to be this is the worry I have about my Lexus SC400. The way the car idles has me worried if something is wrong the engine temperature gauge takes a while to warm up and the way the car is idling is that it sounds like it's idling hard but the RPM drops from 1000 to 500 RPM and it sounds like it wants to cut off but it doesn't. I haven't really put my foot to floor or "punched it" because I believe I have tie rods I have to replace and an alignment to be done. I did a straight forward trade with a guy my 1996 Honda Accord coupe for the 1995 Lexus SC400 and the car reads 138,000 miles or in that range so it's still pretty new for it's year. Also he told me that the fuel pump had went out when he had the car and he replaced it but overall he got it from a guy that let the car sit for about a year. So if anyone could please help the would be very much appreciated!!! Thank you!!!
Old 03-12-13, 08:05 AM
Bankswood
Lead Lap

Welcome to Club Lexus.

Several things to do before you start throwing parts at your new car.

First pull the IAC valve and clean it good.

Second do the Fuel Pump ECU mod.

You can find info on both by using search.
Old 03-12-13, 08:10 AM
CubKen
Driver School Candidate

OK thank you, I'm going to start trying that. I'm going to the junkyard today to get my MAF sensor off m old 1993 Lexus SC300 to see if it will help with the idle problem. The current MAF sensor on my SC400 has been duck taped and I'm not accepting that on a Lexus so I'm fixing it all today hopefully.
Old 03-12-13, 10:19 AM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

First off, there is no CEL, at least I didn't see one, that's correct? Second, it sounds like you have an exhaust leak, or really cool exhaust, which could mean your cats are plugged. After running the car for a little, check the cats to see if they are red hot. The slow warm up could be a thermostat stuck open. I have the same issue, but i don't think it is necessary to fix yet. GL.
Old 03-12-13, 03:44 PM
Bankswood
Lead Lap

I agree with Slide. Also my 400 is slow to warm up. During the winter months the temp gauge never gets pass 1/4 but now that the weather is warmer it gets almost to 1/2. I have been thinking the thermostat is stuck also but it seems we (SC 400 owners) have this issue.
Old 03-17-13, 09:39 AM
CubKen
Driver School Candidate

Correct there is no CEL but the last 2 days of driving it the engine temperature gauge will rise around mid point then it would go back down. I don't think that's normal. The engine doesn't overheat and I still have plenty of anti-freeze also the car seems like it may have an alternator going out because when I'm in drive but at a stop the car idles a bit lower and sometimes it cuts off but then starts back up no issue. When I traded for the Lexus the owner had told me that it may need its fluids changed which I haven't done yet due to insufficient time from school and work. I just hope it's nothing serious. Thanks guys for your help so far.
Old 03-17-13, 11:36 AM
PseudoK
Pole Position

Yea that fluid change would be very necessarily since it has sat for a whole year... dont tell me thats the same gas that was in the car as well?

run some fuel additive
Old 03-18-13, 11:11 AM
CubKen
Driver School Candidate

I put some gas in it over time and also fuel injector cleaner (Gumout) and I used 89 fuel also I believe I will need the oil changed soon I'm just waiting for a good time to change it because the weather in Alabama has been very bi-polar lately. Do you believe that the oil in it right now is causing my car to hesitate while at idle?
Old 03-18-13, 11:13 AM
CubKen
Driver School Candidate

Do you reccomend to do a complete fluid change in the whole car? Like oil, anti-freeze, and transmission oil?
Old 03-18-13, 12:32 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Where did you get that car? I sold that car to a wholesaler about one month ago for 850. That car has 352K on it, not the mileage you are showing. The needles tips have white paint on them, correct, and has a black arm rest on the driver side door. Was the original color green? It also has the same driver side front spare tire with Federal tires and one Michelin, correct? The steering wheel has a cover and the power steering was whining when I sold it. Check this link here and see if it is the same car. I dont know what your Honda looked like, but this lexus needed alot of work. Does the climate work only on High mode? Does it have a dent in the front driver fender near headlight, dent on driver door just front of the door handle, and a dent on the driver side rear fender? Antenna doesnt work either.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...xus-sc400.html

I may be mistaking but looks exaclty like my stepsons car.

I would NOT DRIVE THIS CAR. IT NEEDS A RACK AND PINION AND WILL GET AWAY FROM YOU IN A HURRY. THE INNER AND OUTER RODS NEEDS TO BE REPLACED BADLY!!!!!!!
Old 03-18-13, 12:41 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Also check the MAF and see if it is plugged in. I left unplugged for awhile, due to the bucking and kicking under a load or acceleration. The car also needs all four 02 sensors, rack and pinion, power steering, maf, and a new ecu from the symptoms I found. I would also pull the cluster and see if the bulbs for the trac and check engine has been pulled.

Not trying to knock your Lexus, but trying to help you figure out what is wrong and what I found wrong with it when I had it. Feel free to post or PM me for further.
Old 03-19-13, 07:55 AM
srt4me
Driver School Candidate

Check your MAF, do a complete complete tune up, and check your gaskets, sounds like you have a pretty decent exhaust leak.
Old 03-19-13, 10:24 AM
CubKen
Driver School Candidate

I'm not sure I can see what you mean about the rack and pinion and inner and outer tie rods needs to be replaced. But lately I've been driving it from school and back home which is around 10 miles or less. It might be your sons car but the ODO meter is reading 149,000 miles and so far you were right about the physical appearance and the guy told me he bought it for $1700.00 he lived in Athens, Alabama and I already have gotten the price of the rack and pinion and inner and outer tie rods from Autozone which is a pretty good price for them. The Lexus seems to idle at low but I'm still considering it might be the AICV that needs to be cleaned. I don't see how the ODO meter reads 149,000 if you claim it read 300,000 +
Old 03-19-13, 11:05 AM
CubKen
Driver School Candidate

If this is the guy I met before at the Providence car meet before the first Wednesday of every month. Then I know you because before I had the 1993 red Lexus SC300 with very little done to it. The same red as the one that I have now. I know what you mean by it needs all the steering replaced cause I did realize it and my thoughts were correct. It is an easy fix but how can he reset the ODO meter if it's digital? Unless the guy replaced the ODO meter. I'm not so sure about how to take the ODO meter out correctly. I normally try not to mess with luxury cars electronics as they are very tricky with uninstallation and installation ( for me at least) is there anything else wrong with the car that I need to know other than what I know of so far? I'll inbox you my number to tell me I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.
Old 03-19-13, 03:38 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

The odo has been changed and he reused the same needles. Thats what I am thinking. If you need help with the rack and pinion, lmk. I can do it. I would also do the bushings also. They are relatively simple to do while you have the rack out. I also have the special tool that you will need to pop the tie rod ends off. If you do it, be careful not to bust the bushings.

That gut may have bought it for 1700, but I sold it for 850 cash. He prolly had it repainted and then sold it to you. If this is the same guy he didnt buy it from me for that price.

Good luck with it. If the IACV is bad, just have it rebuilt. Replace the bearings and seals and clean it real good.

Quick Reply: 1995 Lexus SC400 help