Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

There's engine in my rack? Or rack in my engine?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-13, 04:42 PM
GearJammin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default There's engine in my rack? Or rack in my engine?

I am in the middle of changing my steering rack. I started putting the new one on and couldn't for the life of me get the bolt holes to line up. When I realized the engine, yup, the friggin engine was preventing the rack from sitting in place I checked the old rack. Sure enough it was bent and had grooves on it from where the engine was invading its space.
What in the world causes that and can it be corrected? Also what is the common clearance between the rack and engine? I'm searching for pics and it looks like everyone else has at least an inch between them.
Please help
Old 02-20-13, 05:06 PM
blk&blu*j
Lexus Test Driver

I would start looking at the motor mounts.
Old 02-24-13, 11:28 AM
GearJammin
Driver School Candidate

well this is becoming a miserable experience. Im trying to replace the motor mounts and nothing is aligning. Its like they're not supposed to go in there. My motor is from a 94 GS and my car is a 92 SC. I can't find anything that says they're not the same but they just don't seem right. Anyone know what the letter "D" on the bracket means. I'm grasping at straws trying to see if something was done half @ssed when the motor was replaced.
Old 02-24-13, 11:47 AM
mak89
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you swap oil pans? the gs300 vvti has a front oil sump pan apposed to the sc300 which is rear
Old 02-24-13, 12:04 PM
GearJammin
Driver School Candidate

i cant answer that because i have no clue what to look at. I had nothing to do with the swap and only learned the it was a 94 when i was dumbfounded by the 11 hole /10 hole water pump deal and got the vin off of the block.
Old 02-24-13, 12:25 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

wait you are saying you had the GS motor bolted in already? or you are trying to bolt in a gs motor?
yeah with the wrong oil pan its not going to get anywhere close to bolting up.
you need to take the oil pan and pickup dipstick etc.. all off the old motor and swap it onto the new one.
also I believe the oil filter mounts are different you may not clear with the GS oil filter mount, it needs to be swapped out with the SC one if thats the case. also not sure if the mount brackets are the same on GS and SC, but you should be using all that stuff off the sc motor if you have them. all 92-94 v8's are definitely non vvti.
Old 02-24-13, 12:27 PM
GearJammin
Driver School Candidate

ok i don't see any front oil sump pan
Old 02-24-13, 04:12 PM
GearJammin
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
wait you are saying you had the GS motor bolted in already? or you are trying to bolt in a gs motor?
yeah with the wrong oil pan its not going to get anywhere close to bolting up.
you need to take the oil pan and pickup dipstick etc.. all off the old motor and swap it onto the new one.
also I believe the oil filter mounts are different you may not clear with the GS oil filter mount, it needs to be swapped out with the SC one if thats the case. also not sure if the mount brackets are the same on GS and SC, but you should be using all that stuff off the sc motor if you have them. all 92-94 v8's are definitely non vvti.
GS motor is bolted in already. Not by me and not recently. I don't even know if the guy I bought it from knew it wasnt the original motor. It always had a steering issue and I decided to finally fix it by changing the steering rack. It turns out the motor is sitting on the steering rack, so much so that the new rack wouldn't fit. Hoping the motor mounts were to blame I picked up a new pair and ran into more problems. The new mounts were a bear to get in and won't sit on the mounting surfaces so I'm starting to wonder if the brackets are wrong. All of the sc brackets that I'm finding are marked RR Z or LF Z but mine are marked EX<-D and IN->D??? It's making me wonder if finding a new pair of sc mounts will solve everything
Old 02-24-13, 05:07 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

You might have the wrong mounts my friend. Find the ones that have the same stamped mark on them.