Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

sc300 high idle and clutch squeak

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-13, 08:45 AM
Volume123
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sc300 high idle and clutch squeak

Hey guys, I have never noticed this, but I also just purchased my sc300 with a 1jzgte, pretty much stock, w58 tranny, fmic... ssq bov... full 3 in exhaust... piping.. air filter....so running stock ecu. Basically I was wondering is it normal for this engine to have an automatic "cold start" to have a high idle when cold? I have only started or at least started the car and noticed the idle to be around 2.3k right now then it dropped to about 1.6k when I put it in my garage. It is definitely the coldest I have started it and I'm sure if I had left it running it would have dropped more. Is this totally normal for the idle to automatically rev higher when it is cold? Just want to make sure nothing is mechanically incorrect.

Just for kicks, does anyone know what my horsepower should look like to the crank/wheels? I am assuming about 325-350 to the crank? Those numbers sound about right? Full three inch dp and exhaust, FMIC with ssq bov, full three inch piping and a non oiled air filter if I'm not mistaken. What are the most simple mods I could do without changing the ecu after this point? Just looking for cheap simple ideas right now just to think about things... came from an NA -T is300 which I did everything on my own besides the tune so I obviously know most of my options.. although of course that was a 2jz pretty much the same...kind of just want some simple ideas of what to start with first for fun

Also, sorry about all the blabbing, but my clutch also seems to be squeaking drastically, it sounds like it is coming directly from the pedal somewhere but I lubed it up and it still is pretty badly squeaking. Just annoying and would rather it not be there, where should I start and what is the best way to locate the exact point of the squeak so I don't have to go for internals hopefully...

Thanks for help guys! Look forward to talking with everyone on here as I mainly was only on MY.IS when I had my is300. Luckily someone totaled my car and I got a good size amount of cash for my always more favorite lexus, an sc300 with a 1jz for experience reasons
Old 02-20-13, 09:58 AM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When does the clutch squeak happen most often?
Old 02-20-13, 11:17 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

The RPM on cold start sounds a bit high, if its the first start after taking the battery out sometimes that can happen, but you need to let it warm up and see where it settles at full operating temp. Generally the idle is all electronically controlled so if its idling down at all that means its working, or doesn't fluctuate when you turn the AC on. If thats the case and its all working and your idle is still really high at operating temp you either have a small leak or someone adjusted the throttle plate to open or throttle cable too tight.

Something squeaks when I push in the clutch on random days, usually at the same point on the pedal and usually if its been sitting a long time. There is a thread on it its a common issue, mine goes away the more you drive it. Its not the trans or the pedal, its somewhere in the middle that needs to be lubed as far as I can guess, because I changed my whole clutch pressure plate resurfaced flywheel new rear main seal and I still get that same squeak every once in a while but I get it less often these days no idea why. maybe something with the slave/fork maybe?

Last edited by Ali SC3; 02-20-13 at 11:21 AM.
Old 02-20-13, 12:00 PM
GotRiceYo
Lead Lap

I agree with AliSC3... I would guess its the slave/fork... mine does the same thing every now and then but nothing to the point of driving me insane. Could it be a cluth line pressure issue??

Also, I have the same Cold start issue.. Not that it happens often here in Florida, but lately my car idles high 2300-2500 at cold start until its reaches op temp..

Does your car have aftermarket radiator? Fans? etc... I think that may contribute to my problem as its not heating up as fast as a normal SC
Old 02-20-13, 03:46 PM
Supruxes
Driver

My clutch squeaks also, in fact, every 5 spd SC300 owner i have talked to also said their clutch squeaks....i thought it was normal.
Old 02-20-13, 04:01 PM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Supruxes
My clutch squeaks also, in fact, every 5 spd SC300 owner i have talked to also said their clutch squeaks....i thought it was normal.
Yeah my clutch used to squeak a bit upon releasing the clutch in 1st gear... but it hasn't done it for a while, don't really know why it stopped.
Old 02-21-13, 12:44 AM
Volume123
Driver

well honestly, the clutch just always squeaks, but it is just coming from the pedal itself doesnt sound like anywhere else. No matter what gear just simply as if I were pushing the gas in and out, the squeaks when being pushed and let go squeaks again the slower I move it the more it squeaks. Where on the clutch pedal should I lube it the most ?

Also it is just because it is really cold, it goes back down to 1k respectively if left running for 5 minutes or I drive it a little. Thats cool then I guess, good to know it does that when it is cold to run correctly.
Old 02-21-13, 03:19 AM
jwin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea I have the same problem with my clutch pedal squeaking and I brought a new pedal assembly. I think its coming from the white plastic parts that holds the spring. It has a plastic rod that rides inside the other part. Spray some white lithium grease in that rod and around the spring to see if that help. I know it helped for mine.
Old 02-21-13, 05:43 AM
GotRiceYo
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jwin
Yea I have the same problem with my clutch pedal squeaking and I brought a new pedal assembly. I think its coming from the white plastic parts that holds the spring. It has a plastic rod that rides inside the other part. Spray some white lithium grease in that rod and around the spring to see if that help. I know it helped for mine.
Thats what I did ^^^^ White lithium for the win!!
Old 02-21-13, 08:26 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

so it is the pedal!! what an sneaky squeak