Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Coolant Drain and fill Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-13, 05:05 PM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Coolant Drain and fill Question

Hey I just finished doing my coolant drain and fill and replaced my engine thermostat an I have a quick question about toyota red.

I drained the coolant and flushed it out with a garden hose, then filled it back up with toyota red. Once I put in 4.2 L of toyota red I switched over to filling it with distilled water. It maybe only took a liter of distilled water before it was full, that was with me burping the system and running the engine with the heat on and all of that jazz. I find it hard to believe that there was over 3 L of water still in the system, but the expansion tank is sitting at full even after a 30 minute drive.

So this probably doesn't apply to me as I'm sure I probably got a good mixture that is more or less half and half, but will anything bad happen if the toyota red is over-concentrated in the vehicle? Or is diluting done simply for a cost benefit?
Old 02-25-13, 02:12 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Bump! for a good question...
Old 02-25-13, 03:05 PM
sc400ka
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok when you drain and fill the radiator you dont get all the coolent out of the block, and all of the lines. a flush is what you need to properly flush that whole system. it probably wont hurt anything as long as the fluid you put in was compatible with the fluid left in the block!
Old 02-25-13, 07:47 PM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah I ran the hose through it until what was coming out was just clear water. And the Toyota Red is mixed with water, so it's definitely fine. I know I have the right mix amount as i put in 4.3 L of Toyota red, and then just added water and burped the system until it was full. I was just curious why it had to be diluted and what would happen if it was improperly diluted.
Old 02-25-13, 08:27 PM
Lokz
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The whole mixing deal is to do with the freezing point. adding a lil bit of water doesnt hurt. I have ran cars with full anitfreeze no water at all. When you add water to coolant it lowers its freezing point even more, that is why premixed 50/50 is really good out here in kansas cus we have all 4 seasons throughout the year. This saves our *** from the coolant freezing in the radiator and expanding as we all know when water freezes it expands resulting in a cracked radiator and probably the same could happen to your block. So if you are in some place where it stays hot all the time it doesnt hurt to run full coolant. I cant remember the coolant freezing points from the back of my head, but if you google them i'm sure you will find it.
Cheers!