Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

How do you tell if it is a Soarer 1jzgte as opposed to another rear sump 1jz?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-13, 05:03 PM
SupraDremr
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you tell if it is a Soarer 1jzgte as opposed to another rear sump 1jz?

I found 2 1jzgte motors locally and was able to get a few pics of the motors and of the serial numbers and the codes near the engine mounts... Is there any way of telling what kind of car it is from from any of this info? I need a soarer 1jzgte.
Old 02-13-13, 08:57 PM
SupraDremr
Driver

I am really not trying to ask a dumb question here....I have searched and searched and searched and I have learned that there are 2 extra wire sets on the supra and soarer harnesses and also that one difference between the supra and soarer engines is a mechanical water pump on the soarers and a hydrofan on the supras... Correct me if this is wrong as a few different threads speak differently on this matter. But would this mean that if I have a fan attached to the water pump pulley that it is a soarer 1jz?

I also cannot seem to find a picture of a supra 1jz and of a soarer 1jz where I can see the water pumps and determine what type of water pump the engines I looked at have.... Or is there a better way or easier way to tell between the two all together?
I have ruled out them being chaser engines as they are both rear sump...

Please someone help! If I can get this figured out and one of them is a genuine soarer engine I can have it delivered tomorrow.

Please someone with the knowledge or the pics to help me out please do just that and help a fellow lexus brother out!!!! Thanks!!!!!!

Last edited by SupraDremr; 02-13-13 at 09:34 PM.
Old 02-14-13, 07:15 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

couldn't tell you because I have no idea on this one. normally go by the sump on swaps but if they have the same sump you may just have to look at the ecu
Old 02-14-13, 07:52 AM
SupraDremr
Driver

Well I think I have got it figured out that it is a Soarer engine....ABout 95% sure. It is a rear sump 1jzgte with a Mechanical water pump...No hydro fan setup so that tells me it isnt a supra 1jz. Its the only one of two that I can find in my area. The one I am gonna choose is definitely the cleanest out of the two. SO I guess I am Gonna bite the bullet and give them a call and order it and have it delivered. There site says free next day local delivery. So I should have it by tomorrow.
Old 02-14-13, 08:25 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Yeah worst case scenario it will involve a little more wiring, but if the whole package is clean and rear sump then go for it. your hydro fan thing makes sense if thats how mk3 supra's came. We all prefer the clutch setup or electric anyways.
Old 02-14-13, 08:35 AM
SFrymyah
Driver

Easy -

If it has a Fan Clutch, its a Soarer. If its a Hydraulic fan, its a Supra
Old 02-14-13, 10:28 AM
SupraDremr
Driver

It totally has a fan clutch....no hydro fan
SO I am GOOD BOOYAH!!!! The engine is actually already on its way down from about an hour north of here. I will post some pics when it arrives... THANKS Alisc3 and SFRYMYAH for the reasssurance though and the chimes. There is a few threads here and there with mixed info and it makes it hard to be 100% sure.
Old 02-14-13, 02:11 PM
SupraDremr
Driver

Well my engine arrived and I am very excited I must say. I will attach a few pics for you guys to see...

Old 02-14-13, 05:40 PM
fried_rice
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Soarer has 4 rows on the ECU, vs 2 on the supra, also the same body plugs as the SC, all of which yours has. I just picked up one myself.

http://wilbo666.pbworks.com/w/page/4...JZZ30%20Soarer
http://www.clubna-t.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120
Old 02-14-13, 06:09 PM
jwin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^ Dang that motor looks clean.
Old 02-14-13, 07:36 PM
SupraDremr
Driver

Originally Posted by fried_rice
The Soarer has 4 rows on the ECU, vs 2 on the supra, also the same body plugs as the SC, all of which yours has. I just picked up one myself.

http://wilbo666.pbworks.com/w/page/4...JZZ30%20Soarer
http://www.clubna-t.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120

Ya man your engine looks immaculate! If you dont mind me asking what did yours run? I paid 1595.00 plus tax for mine but it was delivered free... Also came with a Auto tranny that I will hopefully be able to sell for a few bones... A litle more than most people say they pay for theres though. Other than a few munched connectors on the harness and the paint peeling on the spark plug cover mine is a really clean engine as well, but nothing like yours man. The other one at the placewhere I got mine at the turbos were all rusted and the engine block was all pitted and quite rusty all around. So I definitely got the better of the two.

I am definitely siked to have another confirmation on the fact my motor and harness and ecu are out of a soarer though.... A few of my plastic connectors are busted up so I will have to order a few of those.

Gonna get to work on removing the 2jz tomorrow....
Old 02-14-13, 07:52 PM
fried_rice
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I paid $1000 locally from Craigslist, no transmission, originally auto. The guy delivered it and let me borrow his engine hoist, which was awesome. The guy said he paid $1350 for it. One valve cover was cracked so he had to purchase new valve covers. He included front main seal, rear main seal, timing belt, idler pulley, accessory belt, etc.

Mine was in good shape, but I did spray paint the turbo piping and intake manifold with silver engine enamel and black for the valve covers.

I was going to polish everything, but I didn't feel like getting new gaskets for the whole engine, as they're not easy to come by separately.

What it looked like before paint.

Originally Posted by SupraDremr
Ya man your engine looks immaculate! If you dont mind me asking what did yours run? I paid 1595.00 plus tax for mine but it was delivered free... Also came with a Auto tranny that I will hopefully be able to sell for a few bones... A litle more than most people say they pay for theres though. Other than a few munched connectors on the harness and the paint peeling on the spark plug cover mine is a really clean engine as well, but nothing like yours man. The other one at the placewhere I got mine at the turbos were all rusted and the engine block was all pitted and quite rusty all around. So I definitely got the better of the two.

I am definitely siked to have another confirmation on the fact my motor and harness and ecu are out of a soarer though.... A few of my plastic connectors are busted up so I will have to order a few of those.

Gonna get to work on removing the 2jz tomorrow....