Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Gated Shifter Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-13, 03:18 AM
SEIDO
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Gated Shifter Question

I searched but couldn't find the answer I needed.
It's not about the install ...
Im wondering, are there various trims (surrounds) for the gated shifters?
The reason Im asking, is 'cus Im looking to do the swap, but I see that my oem trim, has ECT, Heated Seats, and TRAC in certain positions, and then the gated shifter trims, either have them in different positions, or not at all. So how do I find one that coincides with the switches I currently have?
Does having a gated shifter require you sacrifice ECT/TRAC or something?

I.E.

I have the usual:

Heated Seats (Top Left)
TRAC (Top Right)
ECT (Bottom Left)

I need the trim, but according to the pic, and others I've seen, it's different ...
Whats the deal???

Old 02-04-13, 05:32 AM
Kalogerus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doesnt matter, plugs should be the same. TRAC doesnt have a button. Ashtray you can get in wood grain.
Old 02-04-13, 08:11 AM
ASTERiSK
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Actually the harnesses are completely different, tons of splicing needed to be done. Although that was my experience with an SC400 gated shifter. Since I had a lot of trouble trying to shift into the right gear because the SC400 has an extra gear I put back my old shifter. Hopefully you get the right SC300 shifter that has a separate gear for 3rd gear, that's the right one for the SC300.
Old 02-04-13, 08:41 AM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Both the a340 and a341 are 4-speed automatics, and the gated shifter should be 100% compatible from 300 to 400. Only issue should be the addition of the "3-D" selector, which has been covered on how to fix, along with wiring.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...pre-98-sc.html

Fitting the switches is easy with a dremel, just a bit of ingenuity. No need to ditch any of the switches you currently have.
Old 02-04-13, 09:21 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 192 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by ASTERiSK
Actually the harnesses are completely different, tons of splicing needed to be done. Although that was my experience with an SC400 gated shifter. Since I had a lot of trouble trying to shift into the right gear because the SC400 has an extra gear I put back my old shifter. Hopefully you get the right SC300 shifter that has a separate gear for 3rd gear, that's the right one for the SC300.
This is exactly why I havent purchased the swap yet, people make it sound so easy but ive been very skeptical.

It seems to me that if you dont get the gated shifter with the D3 then you will lose the overdrive function, since the gated shifters dont have an overdrive option button it needs to be wired into the D3 selector.

I really hope we can make this thread a simplified 'how to' on how to do this swap, where all questions are answered and things are simplified for those like me that arent able to figure it out for myself.
Old 02-04-13, 11:19 AM
SEIDO
Instructor

That was my next question ...
I dunno about you guys, but I actually use my O/D button quite often, to save the breaks.
I like that feature a lot about the automatic. So you're saying I have to sacrifice it?
Old 02-04-13, 12:07 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

All of you are missing what I posted for you.....

^^^that link has ALL the wiring involved, INCLUDING how to connect the O/D...
Old 02-04-13, 12:08 PM
SSmith
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

On the gated shifter the only cover panel they make is wood grained and it comes two ways. One is with just the ECT trac/snow switch and the other is with ECT trac/snow switch and heated seat switches. The conversion is very easy to do if you have any wiring knowledge. Overdrive is a breeze if you get the correct shifter for your car. Aka: SC300 gated for SC300. It literally took me thirty minutes to do mine and everything works like factory.

Before and after pics

Shane
Attached Thumbnails Gated Shifter Question-lexus17.jpg   Gated Shifter Question-new2.jpg  
Old 02-05-13, 09:07 PM
SEIDO
Instructor

So whats the difference between the regular ECT switch, and the ECT/Snow?
As far as I know, ECT allows you to rev higher, so why would you want that in the snow?
Old 02-05-13, 11:41 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 192 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by turbodremz
Both the a340 and a341 are 4-speed automatics, and the gated shifter should be 100% compatible from 300 to 400. Only issue should be the addition of the "3-D" selector, which has been covered on how to fix, along with wiring.

Fitting the switches is easy with a dremel, just a bit of ingenuity. No need to ditch any of the switches you currently have.
cool man so im not worried about the buttons anymore I will just dremel them, so thats one problem solved.

now in terms of the link you posted ive seen it before, but it might as well be in chinese as I have no idea what it means or says, is it true that you just wire the overdrive button into the D3 selector?

Not all of the gated shifters have the D3 option so what do you do in that case?

I really hope we can get some simplified answers on this thread because no one ever explains it properly in the other threads ive seen.

Thanks
Originally Posted by CityKnight
That was my next question ...
I dunno about you guys, but I actually use my O/D button quite often, to save the breaks.
I like that feature a lot about the automatic. So you're saying I have to sacrifice it?
no you shouldnt have to sacrifice it , it gets wired into the shift selection somehow, but I was wondering if there were any other ways as well.
Old 02-10-13, 07:36 PM
SEIDO
Instructor

Originally Posted by SSmith
On the gated shifter the only cover panel they make is wood grained and it comes two ways. One is with just the ECT trac/snow switch and the other is with ECT trac/snow switch and heated seat switches.
This is so confusing.
So how is ECT and TRAC the same switch?
Also, whats "Snow" then, and how is that in the same switch?
You're saying when I hit ECT, I also turn on/off TRAC at the same time?
Old 02-22-13, 02:42 AM
gunyvw
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So whats the difference between the regular ECT switch, and the ECT/Snow?
As far as I know, ECT allows you to rev higher, so why would you want that in the snow?
i'm doing this swap now myself ...pic at bottom
the SNOW option is low rev knight, i have it on one of my other vehicles... when you use it the car accelerates very slowly.

Originally Posted by SSmith
On the gated shifter the only cover panel they make is wood grained and it comes two ways. One is with just the ECT trac/snow switch and the other is with ECT trac/snow switch and heated seat switches. The conversion is very easy to do if you have any wiring knowledge. Overdrive is a breeze if you get the correct shifter for your car. Aka: SC300 gated for SC300. It literally took me thirty minutes to do mine and everything works like factory.

Before and after pics

Shane
shane what did you wire the 12v and speed sensor to? or did you leave it alone like a lot of post(s) i have seen?

This is so confusing.
So how is ECT and TRAC the same switch?
Also, whats "Snow" then, and how is that in the same switch?
You're saying when I hit ECT, I also turn on/off TRAC at the same time?
my ECT button stays switched ON 100 % of the time (i like the aggressiveness of the gearing).
in my case i may leave it under the cover along with the TRAC button... still plugged... if for some reason i cannot get it to fit the ECT/SNOW slot.
i have the exact cover you have depicted and the D4 shifter

Last edited by gunyvw; 02-22-13 at 04:12 AM.