Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

What are my best economical exhaust options if smog/inspection is of no concern?

Old 01-30-13, 09:25 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Default What are my best economical exhaust options if smog/inspection is of no concern?

Greetings,
I have an ANNOYING rattle under the car (95'Sc400) I believe is connected to my exhaust. I found one loose hose clamp rattling but that only removed half the rattle, something else is rattling. I tried all the heat shields I could locate but they seem tight. The rattle is only from 1 to 1.5K or so on the tach. It vibrates badly as soon as I take off from a stop but stops by 2K. I know very little but I'm pretty sure this is something vibrating on a pipe.

I am going to have to take it in to a muffler shop to diagnose the problem and I thought maybe I should have them modify the exhaust too (if its inexpensive). What are my inexpensive options for exhaust mods if I am FREE OF SMOG INSPECTION LIMITATIONS.

I want it to run great, no codes and sound amazing good gas mileage.
I currently have Magnaflow mufflers.

I have read about removing Cats, removing resonators, straight pipe, X-pipe etc. and I am at a loss for what my best option would be.

I don't want it too loud, but I want it to sound real nice and work as efficiently as possible.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Studiogeek; 01-30-13 at 12:08 PM.
Old 01-30-13, 12:03 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Remove stock cats and replace with some high flow cats, go with 2.5'' pipes dual to an x-pipe, back to the magnaflows you have. Should retain a nice sound, not too loud, and shouldnt throw a cel.
Old 01-30-13, 01:12 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

^^ that will sound good. if you don't want to make a whole new system keep the cats and mufflers and just remove the resonators it gives it more of a grumble, but some don't like it so hard to say.

also check the pipe support bracket at the front of the engine near the transmission where it connects to each pipe, that may be your rattle. also check out any other brackets that contact the muffler im not positive how many there are on a sc4. I had the one support bracket from the trans bellhousing to the muffler break on a sc300 (supras have this bracket also), I chased the noise for a long time, checked every heat shield and then saw eventually that bracket was fractured and vibrating against itself only when you first start accelerating.

While its a different bracket than a sc4, the sc4 has similar brackets, check out the picture in this thread.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ust-guide.html

Last edited by Ali SC3; 01-30-13 at 01:15 PM.
Old 01-30-13, 03:40 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by turbodremz
Remove stock cats and replace with some high flow cats, go with 2.5'' pipes dual to an x-pipe, back to the magnaflows you have. Should retain a nice sound, not too loud, and shouldnt throw a cel.
Originally Posted by Ali SC3
^^ that will sound good. if you don't want to make a whole new system keep the cats and mufflers and just remove the resonators it gives it more of a grumble, but some don't like it so hard to say.

also check the pipe support bracket at the front of the engine near the transmission where it connects to each pipe, that may be your rattle. also check out any other brackets that contact the muffler im not positive how many there are on a sc4. I had the one support bracket from the trans bellhousing to the muffler break on a sc300 (supras have this bracket also), I chased the noise for a long time, checked every heat shield and then saw eventually that bracket was fractured and vibrating against itself only when you first start accelerating.

While its a different bracket than a sc4, the sc4 has similar brackets, check out the picture in this thread.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ust-guide.html
Will try/check !
You guys are awesome!
Thank You!

Last edited by Studiogeek; 01-30-13 at 06:41 PM.
Old 02-01-13, 07:10 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

DUDE!
ALISC3 You ARE THE MAN! That WAS EXACTLY IT.
While my mechanic was changing my alternator yesterday i showed him the diagram, pointed to the mount and walked away. Later he casually said it was done.
I HIT THE ROOF with delight.
That sound was slowly DRIVING ME INSANE.

Thank you so much!
Old 02-01-13, 12:16 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

HAHA! I did it today! Thank you!

Sounds like we mixed in a bit of Rottweiler to the exhaust note. It is likely all in my mind but it felt a bit faster to me on the way home.
The original Magnaflow install was poorly done, crooked at the tips exit with a bad bend that was too narrow. The guys deleted the resonators, welded pipe in, fixed the bend, straightened the muffler hang (and WD40'd my gas filter so I can get it off tomorrow) for 100$.

I want MORE SOUND now. This could be dangerous!
Attached Thumbnails What are my best economical exhaust options if smog/inspection is of no concern?-reso-.jpg   What are my best economical exhaust options if smog/inspection is of no concern?-exhaust_cut.jpg   What are my best economical exhaust options if smog/inspection is of no concern?-one_down.jpg   What are my best economical exhaust options if smog/inspection is of no concern?-none.jpg   What are my best economical exhaust options if smog/inspection is of no concern?-tips_straightnow.jpg  

Old 02-03-13, 05:15 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Question Can I delete Cats without throwing codes?

I like the improvement from cutting the resonators off. Now I want MORE RUMBLE AND POWER!

Can I cut the cats off without throwing codes?

My budget is pretty low right now for exhaust. What is my next great move on the cheap? Should I save for Magnaflow, high-flow cats or just cut them off and add pipe? I am now worried about emissions for at least 2 years.