Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1992 5 Factory 5 Speed SC 1jzgte conversion HELP PLEASE!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-13, 08:34 PM
estomax
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would recommend getting the intercooler kit from ebay. they got anywhere from 200-500$ so just look around and pick one, keep in mind extra work you might have to do with piping if it's not advertised for your specific car/engine.

i am going to get a CX racing kit most likely..

did you get a walbro 255 fuel pump yet? you should probably upgrade that too..

Marko
Old 02-20-13, 08:49 PM
SupraDremr
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1JZPWRD
Awesome man. It seems to be working out for you in your build. Remember Rome wasn't built in a day. Take your time, do things right, do half crap anything, or you will wishing you didn't while you have everything out. Do things right the first time.

Second, listen to what Roger (blk and blue) has to say. He is very, very knowledgeable.

Roger don't let this go to your head either.
Yes things seem to be going well so far. Definitely smoother than I thought it was going to go. lol I a definitely trying to cover all my bases and do and have all the things I need to for this build to go right. I a definitely grateful for each and everyones advice on my threads and also in all the threads I have read to gain knowledge in this build. There is no way in frickin hell I would have even attempted this if not for this site.
Old 02-20-13, 08:57 PM
SupraDremr
Driver

Originally Posted by estomax
i would recommend getting the intercooler kit from ebay. they got anywhere from 200-500$ so just look around and pick one, keep in mind extra work you might have to do with piping if it's not advertised for your specific car/engine.

i am going to get a CX racing kit most likely..

did you get a walbro 255 fuel pump yet? you should probably upgrade that too..

Marko
The ebay kits huh? I saw the kit that supposedly is for the 1jz for 180 and also the cz racing one for 480 I think it was... Not sure what justifies the extra 300 there... I don't think CX Racing has the best reputation either. Might go hunting on the classifieds for a stock 1jz setup...or buy an intercooler and mock up a pipe set with pvc and have a muffler shop make me the piping...Thats actually a pretty good idea there... lol Thought of that while I was typing.

And no I haven't upgraded the fuel pump as of yet...Definitely on the list of future mods but I need to limit my purchases to things that are absolutely necessary for my install at least for the moment. And DAMN is my list of wants for this car long!!! lol
Old 02-20-13, 09:06 PM
estomax
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know many people that have used CX racing kits, i most likely will get one of theirs as well. But yeah the super cheap ones might work too.. at some price point i start getting worried though..
Old 02-21-13, 07:02 AM
SFrymyah
Driver

I bought my intercooler on Ebay. My advice for the best price is to go to the CX website, find the one you want, write down the PN and start comparing them on ebay ads until you get the best price. Mine was like 150-200 cheaper on ebay and it was the exact same PN as whats on the CX website
Old 02-21-13, 09:35 AM
SupraDremr
Driver

Well thats good to know. I always thought I was to stay away from ost of the knock off stuff on ebay. Good to hear cxracing has good products. I like the direct fit idea but not too happy about the 390-450 dollar price point for a direct fit unit... The cheaper 180-250 dollar universal setups dont have even close to the same piping as the direct fit kits so I imagine the cheaper ones would require more pieces or at the very least modification.

Tough...This build is quickly becoming a little more expensive than I originally thought...It's all good just is gonna take a bit longer to finish. Guess Its time to start selling off some of the 2jz parts I no longer need to help finance all the extras I need.

Cold and rainy out today and ore rain in the forecast. Hopefully I will get a good enough break in the weather later on to get the tranny ounted up to the 1jz at least.
Old 02-21-13, 01:37 PM
SupraDremr
Driver

Well I was able to go out and pick up a few goodies, got a new timing belt for the 1jz, picked up the rear main seal and ordered 8 flywheel bolts from toyota. So all I can really do today is get the rear main installed and on the motor...Will have to wait for the flywheel bolts tomorrow to go any farther.

Old 02-21-13, 07:16 PM
blk&blu*j
Lexus Test Driver

I would recommend picking up atleast some blue locktite for your FW bolts.
Old 02-21-13, 07:19 PM
blk&blu*j
Lexus Test Driver

Question whats the felpro box for and the 18 ga wire??????
Old 02-21-13, 08:04 PM
SupraDremr
Driver

Originally Posted by blk&blu*j
Question whats the felpro box for and the 18 ga wire??????
Felpro box is what my new rear main seal came in. The 18 guage wire is for my harness extension....Is something wrong with either of these?
Old 02-21-13, 08:14 PM
blk&blu*j
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SupraDremr
Felpro box is what my new rear main seal came in. The 18 guage wire is for my harness extension....Is something wrong with either of these?
I personally would only use OEM seals/gaskets. I've changed way to many faulty seals from aftermarket manufacturers.

So your going to use all red wire for your extension wow that will be a nightmare to diagnosis in the future. Just saying

Sorry just trying to help with out the disaster.
Old 02-21-13, 08:26 PM
Lokz
Driver

I personally would only use OEM seals/gaskets. I've changed

So your going to use all red wire for your extension wow that will be a nightmare to diagnosis in the future. Just saying

Sorry just trying to help with out the disaster.
He could cut it a little further away from the ECU and still be able to see the color of wires.
Old 02-21-13, 08:30 PM
blk&blu*j
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lokz
He could cut it a little further away from the ECU and still be able to see the color of wires.
Yes I suppose thats true but red is red and once on the other side of the FW its a nightmare again.
Old 02-21-13, 08:48 PM
SupraDremr
Driver

Yes I suppose thats true but red is red and once on the other side of the FW its a nightmare again.

lol Eh the seal is replaced and on...Was made in Japan lol. Really thought replacing it with the aftermarket one would be better than not replacing it at all. The oem one was 57 bucks vs 15.99 for the fel pro. I know that the 45 bucks isnt anything if the seal fails but I did take extra special care installing and used copper rtv where needed. Should be good.

As Far as the red wiring goes. I am not sure I understand what wiring nightmare you are implying I will run into. If I cut the wires about 6 inches away from the ecu and body plug connectors, I will be able to see the colors at the ecu and body plugs and then at the other end of the extension which I am guessing will be in the hood area.

Should I use a different color for each connector or something? Colors were all the same price I just figured I wasn't going to be able to match the factory colors at all so might as well just use one color... I figured it would all be wrapped up anyways when finished.

I am doing all the research I can and learning a lot daily about this build but its hard with spending so much time on google and cl searches when I have work and 2 little ones running around when I am home...lol I appreciate you all very much for the help I guess is what I am trying to say. And I am sorry if I ask questions that have been asked before and/or could probably be found with some searching. Please understand I am searching the heck out of this and many other forums...Driving the wife nuts some days lol. I mean no disrespect and am not being lazy.

I ordered my engine mounts from driftmotion tonight. Hopefully I will get those soon as I need to get the engine back in the car asap and get the engine hoist returned to my cousins neighbor as it is on loan...So I need to focus on items that need to or should be replaced while the engine is out.. Looks like I will have to tap into savings to aquire the i/c setup and whatever else I learn I need to complete this build. I really would appreciate some guidance on what you guys see I will need to buy or aquire to finish this... I can't buy everything right away I am learning as there is way more than I originally thought but I do need to know what I need.

Okay time to put the kiddos to bed.

Last edited by SupraDremr; 02-21-13 at 09:01 PM.
Old 02-21-13, 09:22 PM
Lokz
Driver

I am going to be doing this swap and starting in about 2 weeks. The only reason why blk*blu talked about putting OEM seal comparing to aftermarket is that it is going to be a PITA to replace once your motor goes in the car. Sometimes its not about money but its about time. If you have enough spare time i think you should be fine, who knows it might not even leak. But i was talking to my instructors at school the other day and he said with toyota/ lexus you wont find a better parts than OEM. Where did you get your Timing belt from? Is it a 1JZ belt or you picked the isuzu trooper timing belt to use for your 1JZ?

Quick Reply: 1992 5 Factory 5 Speed SC 1jzgte conversion HELP PLEASE!!!