Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SC400 Cat Delete pipes

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-13, 06:42 PM
chiken
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC400 Cat Delete pipes

Was wondering if anyone made prefabbed cat delete pipes for the two manifold cats or is the only option gutting the cats or having some made at an exhaust shop?

I was looking into Header solutions that would replace the cats but it seems like a lot of the people that were making decent headers don't make them anymore. The rush longtubes aren't being made anymore from what I understand and the IMF website doesn't exhist anymore which would be my first choice just do to the fitment to the stock exhaust system.

I don't have to worry about emissions so that's not a problem.
Old 01-25-13, 04:26 PM
maynanator
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

To my knowledge no one makes a set of cat delete pipes. Headers wise I feel like I've seen a set or two of IMF headers for sale in the sc400 classifieds. If you can't find any there you could always check the lextreme forums performance classifieds to see if they have any for sale. If that doesn't work you could get a set of ppe headers and have an exhaust shop make a true dual exhaust from the headers back.
Old 01-26-13, 12:58 PM
chiken
Rookie

If I get some I would like it to be as "bolt on" as possible. I'm just using this car as a daily driver for the time being and don't know what I'm going to do with it in the future. I don't know of any quality exhaust shops around me and don't want to spend the money on a "custom" exhaust that will most likely not perform as well as the stock. I know you can free up some decent horsepower with the bolt on headers which is why they interest me. I just bought the car and am currently catching up on all the neglected maintenance. I work 50-100 hours a week and go to school on top of having a family so bolt on stuff works the best, I can do anything on the car myself so that's not a problem. Once I graduate I don't know if I'm going to stick with the 1UZ and build it or go 1JZ or just keep it as a fun daily and build something else. I like to keep the driveability and comfort of the car and keep the noise down as well which is why I want to stick with the stock rest of the system, maybe remove the center resonator as most.
Old 01-27-13, 08:18 AM
Candela
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are no test pipes,or cat delete pipes. It's not a 240 or a 350z.

Headers, when they were made, eliminated the cats.

However,I'm sure you could go to a muffler shop and have them cut the cats off and weld in pipes in their places.

It doesnt have to be a 'quality' exhaust shop, they're just cutting and welding in pipes, no big deal. That really doesn't cost much at all, plus, you wont have to work on it, and they have a lift -- 15-20 minutes.
Old 01-27-13, 04:23 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

If power is what you are looking for then I say delete the cats altogether and the resonators. Keep the stock mufflers. This made a little improvement on the top end. Plus a nice sound.if you choose to go this route cut the resonators where you can install them again if too loud. Also repalce the section whrre the 2 pipes meet with a 10 inch x pipe.
Old 01-28-13, 03:55 AM
chiken
Rookie

I know i's not a 240 and I know that they are just straight pipes which i why I was wondering if anyone made some. I woud have thought someone like Megan would have been selling these by now. Once I get another Tig setup and some time I'll look into it. I wa saying "Quality" exhaust shop because I don't just want cheap mild steal with junk flanges that will be leaking, I know I can get it done cheap but I don't like doing "Cheap" things to my cars. I have seen people selling there cat replacement pipes from time to time which is why I thought maybe someone was making them, either a forum member or another source.

I guess my main question is what is the larger restriction, th factory manifolds or the cats? I did some quick searching and it seems like removing cats will get you some quick HP but I haven't found numbers but most people with headers are saying around a 20HP gain. I'm not too familiar with modding the 1UZ so I don't know the usual gains etc. I am very familiar with the JZ series engines and MKIV's in general so a lot of this car I know as well.

I'm sure I will pick up a few MPG eliminating the cats and resonators as well.
Old 01-28-13, 02:20 PM
Meanshyguy
Driver

Its something I thought about for a while, unfortunately I haven't seen any around!
Old 01-30-13, 10:17 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 1JZPWRD
If power is what you are looking for then I say delete the cats altogether and the resonators. Keep the stock mufflers. This made a little improvement on the top end. Plus a nice sound.if you choose to go this route cut the resonators where you can install them again if too loud. Also repalce the section whrre the 2 pipes meet with a 10 inch x pipe.
How much should this cost? ballpark please.
Old 01-30-13, 03:40 PM
chiken
Rookie

Depends on the quality of parts you use. An exhaust shop can fab you up an xpipe or you can get quality magnaflow xpipe setup. If you wanted to go cheap, an exhaust shop should be able to just put piping in for less than $100 but again that is usually cheaper steal that will rust. If you use high quality stainless stuff prices will go up.
Old 01-30-13, 09:21 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by chiken
Depends on the quality of parts you use. An exhaust shop can fab you up an xpipe or you can get quality magnaflow xpipe setup. If you wanted to go cheap, an exhaust shop should be able to just put piping in for less than $100 but again that is usually cheaper steal that will rust. If you use high quality stainless stuff prices will go up.
Oh, OK.
I think i'll experiment with the fabricated cheaper steel pipes until I figure out exactly what I like.

Thanks!
Old 02-01-13, 04:50 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by chiken
Removed the resonators today!
Sounds great!
Attached Thumbnails SC400 Cat Delete pipes-reso-.jpg   SC400 Cat Delete pipes-exhaust_cut.jpg   SC400 Cat Delete pipes-none.jpg   SC400 Cat Delete pipes-tips_straightnow.jpg  
Old 02-04-13, 08:58 AM
chiken
Rookie

Did you do all three or just the back two? How heavy were they? I hear they are very restrictive did you notice any gains besides sound?
Old 04-03-13, 11:11 AM
Tam4511
Driver

Megan makes test pipes for the sc430. I'm in contact with them to see if they will fit a sc400.
I don't see why the wouldn't. They have the same exact flanges. I'll be checking the measurements this week and will let you guys know.
Old 04-03-13, 08:21 PM
chiken
Rookie

That would be awesome but i think the flanges are clocked a little different. Nothing a cut and weld wouldnt fix. Let us know what you find because i was getting close to ordering some flanges and making my own.
Old 04-03-13, 10:59 PM
Dougspeed
Lead Lap

I've done extensive research on exhaust mods for the 1UZ and removing the primary cats will absolutely NOT get you any real gains unless 1-2hp is considered a real gain. Again, this is on the stock 1UZ motor. The areas where signficant gains can be made are at the exhaust manifolds (headers) and in the exhaust section after the first stock Y merge just after the engine. Just do a google search and it should lead you to a couple articles regarding the SC400 exhaust off Lextreme and back here on CL. This goes for both VVTi and nonVVTi versions of the 1UZ.

Edit, I looked up one of the helpful threads concerning this: http://www.lextreme.com/forums/showt...t=13805&page=2

Once again, don't bother with removing the cats unless they're clogged and not working properly as they won't open up much more, if any hp.

Last edited by Dougspeed; 04-03-13 at 11:10 PM.

Quick Reply: SC400 Cat Delete pipes