Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

A little help will be appreciated. Serpentine belt, etc...

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-13, 04:59 PM
victorvaj
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A little help will be appreciated. Serpentine belt, etc...

Hello all,

Well today I went today to Goodyear to get my oil change and have the 29 point inspection done by them. Since I live 100miles away from home, I don't have any tools. So the mechanic's diagnosis is that my power steering pump went out. Last several weeks, I've noticed my serpentine belt making the squeaking noise, especially when it's cold outside. I went onto this forums and found fellow SC400 enthusiasts having similar issue. I've ordered the quiet gatorback serpentine belt. But I also found that this can also be an issue with the idler pulley. So my question is that, do you believe it can be all three issues? The belt looks freshly new. The pulley looks good. Also I like to add that the car was out of power steering fluid, but found no leakage anywhere. What do you think it can be?

Victor
Old 01-21-13, 05:22 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lets start with a simple question. Can you turn your steering wheel with one hand while the car isnt moving?

A squeaking belt doenst mean much of anything. The PS pump makes a very distinct noise when its low or out of fluid, and being that these cars arent light, you will know if your pump randomly went out.

Now for the idler pulley, my stock idler went out on my SC about 6 months after I bought it, I noticed it had gone out when the bearing in the pulley started to squeal. I tried spraying it with different lubricants and cleaners to see if it just had dirt in it, but when removed, it wouldnt spin freely. Another issue with the idler, is the tension arm. The springs will fail after a while and give slack in the belt and cause it to squeal.

So start by putting some fluid in your power steering, and replace the belt. When you get the new belt on, you dont want much slack, so push on the belt with your finger, and determine if it feels tight or if your idler pulley is shot. But for the PS pump being out, trust me, you will know when you try to steer when stopped if its out or not.
Old 01-21-13, 10:00 PM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

probably time for a new steering rack and possibly crank pulley of the 400 is like the 300.