Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > SC Models > SC 400/300 > Performance & Maintenance
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

What are these 2 coolers for sc400?

Old 01-08-13, 08:55 AM   #1
xspsi6
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (31)

Default What are these 2 coolers for sc400?

I know one is a power steering cooler but what is the bar and plate cooler for? Stock trans cooler is in the radiator I know so my mind is drawing a blank at the moment

Click the image to open in full size.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
Old 01-08-13, 09:48 AM   #2
MooJohn
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)

I've seen it and wondered the same thing. Oil maybe?

Then again it wouldn't be unheard of for it to be for the transmission too. Most setups run it through an air cooler like this and then into the loop within the radiator so the fluid isn't too cold in freezing conditions.
Old 01-08-13, 10:06 AM   #3
Boergy
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (2)

the cooler only as pipe is for the power steering, the other one in the middle is for the engine-fan

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-XOI8pBaYvRw/UGHW2Nd9jiI/AAAAAAAAG7Y/KR1WJH62s20/s389/Sig%2520Boergy%2520Ring.jpg
Boergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-13, 12:59 PM   #4
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

That's right the fan! I am trying to figure out what to do with my gte swap as far as routing the hose etc etd
Old 01-08-13, 02:00 PM   #5
Ali SC3
Na-T Guru
Trader Score: (10)

i was going to say I dont have one of those, hydraulic fans are just way complicated.

1995 Lexus SC300 5spd Na-T ( TT Ecu Mod + a few others)
Ali SC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-13, 03:44 PM   #6
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

^^ And thus why mine is going in the trash Lol
Old 01-08-13, 04:15 PM   #7
MooJohn
Lead Lap

Wow, it never dawned on me that the fan's fluid would need to be cooled. I didn't think turning a fan would be very stressful on hydraulic fluid of any type.
Old 01-09-13, 12:12 AM   #8
BangarangX
Driver School Candidate

The hydraulic fan arrangement was definitely some sound thinking. At idle speed, the ECM can call on any fan speed from 0% to maximum In the commercial heavy equipment field, it's the only way to go. Problem is, things just aren't that serious under the hood of the average street car to justify using such a system. It would be good for something like a taxi, ambulance, or police car. Something idling under some miserable conditions, or under terrible loads at relatively low engine and vehicle speeds.

Trouble is, hydraulic systems are comprised of wearable components that need servicing. That's where you end up with 1UZ's that have a big gunky deluge of fan fluid on the front of the engine.
BangarangX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-13, 09:02 PM   #9
KahnBB6
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BangarangX View Post
The hydraulic fan arrangement was definitely some sound thinking. At idle speed, the ECM can call on any fan speed from 0% to maximum In the commercial heavy equipment field, it's the only way to go. Problem is, things just aren't that serious under the hood of the average street car to justify using such a system. It would be good for something like a taxi, ambulance, or police car. Something idling under some miserable conditions, or under terrible loads at relatively low engine and vehicle speeds.

Trouble is, hydraulic systems are comprised of wearable components that need servicing. That's where you end up with 1UZ's that have a big gunky deluge of fan fluid on the front of the engine.
That's the best explanation I've read as to why Toyota used hydro fans in the UZ series and some JZ engines (JDM Aristos also used hydro fans, didn't they?). Overkill as they may be, I rather like that they went to such lengths to create a strong cooling solution for their flagship luxury engines. That, assuming they are in working condition as you stated.
Old 01-10-13, 08:37 AM   #10
BangarangX
Driver School Candidate

SC400s, Aristos with the 2JZ-GTE, early ES300s, and early V6 Camrys, far as I can tell.

Fans were powerful enough that auxiliary condenser fans were forgone in all of the above models. Something like this really belonged in the LandCruiser or 4Runner.

But there is more to it. The hydraulic motor is the only type of fan drive that could properly operate that big paddle bladed fan. An electric motor would require too much draw, and an engine driven fan could never use that design at the high rpms it would turn because it would be aerodynamically inefficient at those speeds.

Why is this important? A large paddle bladed fan is quieter than any other design. Nice, cool, quiet, powerful operation, taking nothing away from the alternator or battery.
BangarangX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-13, 08:37 AM

Tags
97, active, aero, auxiliary, cooler, fan, hydraulic, lexus, low, oil, sc400, speed, spoiler, supra, transmission, type