Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

[Q]OBD2 SC300 5 Speed TT swap w/working OBD2 Port

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-13, 07:01 PM
Lowlexus
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default [Q]OBD2 SC300 5 Speed TT swap w/working OBD2 Port

I'm from PA and have a few questions... I'm Planning of doing my TT convertion sometime this month or next...It's cold over here so its a good time to start a project lol,.I'm able to do the wiring myself with a bit of guidence and learn really quick... Now my problem is my SC300 is a 96 5 Speed and is OBD2... In PA the emissions test is a readiness check (through OBD port) and Visual Saftey Check (which visual is not an issue) Also NA-T Not An Option

Edit: Once I get this all figured out and get it running, I will post a detailed write-up on this... Alot of people have looked for support on the OBD2 SC's and not much is out there so I will give them the resources they are looking for...Or try! lol

Here's my Idea:
96-97 (OBD2) USDM TT ECU MT
(OBD1)Aristo TT Engine
Use wanganstyl Wiring theory (SC300 Stock wiring converted to "USDM" TT)
For now i might be using the Aristo 440 injectors until I get everything done... then ill add the USDM TT Cams and 550's w/resistor box

Now the things i Know:
Injectors will need changed to USDM TT
USDM Uses MAF and JDM Uses MAP

Now for the Questions...
1.What are your thoughts?
2.Am i Able to use the OBD1 Main sensors in OBD2? Are they the same?
A. Wiring wise they look the same, using the same amount of wires...(This question was because I,ve done swaps in other cars including HONDA, Which obd1 has less wires on some sensors then obd2....)
3.would I need a usdm igniter or JDM will work?
A.I will be using a usdm igniter whch will work

as you know...Aristos mosly come with AT Trans and ECU which I dont need and cant use cause the missing AT Trans will cause the Check Engine light to come on, correct?

I did PM this to a member but i figured i'd post also so more people can chime in... I will be doing some more research as I go along but the more inputs the better..Plus some of you have been in the game longer than I have

Last edited by Lowlexus; 01-15-13 at 07:58 AM.
Old 01-04-13, 07:10 PM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Egr would be the main part IMO , jdm engine does not have a egr port in the head if you want your obd2 car to be legal best thing to do is to get usdm everything and its still not a direct swap . I highly suggest doing na-t to anyone that wants to be obd2 legal
Old 01-04-13, 07:17 PM
jwin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have a 97sc300 N/A with r154 and i'm in the process of converting to a 97 USDM TT ecu 6 speed.

Parts acquired
97 usdm tt 6 speed ecu
550cc injector with resistor box
Using stock sc300 MAF
OEM toyota MAP sensor
is300/gs300 VVTI coils with igniter
Also brought a ecu adapter harness so i won't have to cut my sc300 wiring harness.

This is everything is need to convert a N/A to TT ecu beside the correct o2 sensors.

Because you are using a TT motor i'm pretty sure you will have some differences such as cam sensor and crank sensor. No EGR on a aristo motor so you will need a resistor.

The auto ecu will cause the check engine to go off because of the lack of auto transmission. You can take the solenoids out of the auto tranny and plug it into the connector for the auto tranny

USDM TT ecu uses MAF and MAP.

I will probably start my conversion as soon as my VVTI coils and igniter arrive. Will let you know how it all goes. I think keeping your N/A motor will make it 10 times easier if you are worried about passing inspection. That was my whole reasoning behind not going with a 2jzgte swap and of course the cost. I rather go NA-T with arp headstuds and tt hg put some gte valve covers on and a FFIM and you couldn't tell the difference. 2jzgte motor looks a lot better than the N/A motor in my opinon and can put out some serious power as well.

Last edited by jwin; 01-05-13 at 12:20 AM.
Old 01-05-13, 12:08 AM
3L4jzz31
Pole Position

Pretty sure Aristo engines use MAP sensors so that's a problem right there.

I have a '96 5-speed as well and was planning to do a complete GTE head swap on to the GE block.

As for an engine choice I'd get any pre-vvti USDM GTE engine or complete head (Gotta make sure an OBD1 pre vvti coilpacks would work with an OBD2 ecu, not real sure on this part.)
If you get an OBD1 engine, you'll have to order an OBD2 Maf sensor. EDIT: No manual transmission Supras made in 1996 for US (because of conversion to OBD2)

Last edited by 3L4jzz31; 01-05-13 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Correcting error
Old 01-05-13, 12:20 AM
jwin
Lexus Test Driver

im will be using gs300/is300 vvti coilpack and igniter. it will work with a tt ecu
Old 01-05-13, 07:08 PM
hmhatch
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Lowlexus, everything you listed should work. You've got the right idea. Use everything you can to keep the obd2 ecu happy. Usdm Mafs is needed and the Aristo map sensor will be the "turbo pressure sensor" that the ecu is looking for. 550 injectors and resistor pack too. Most time consuming part will be wiring. Start with the original sc300 harness and build your harness using that as the foundation. There has to be a way to trick the ecu into thinking egr is there. Maybe someone can chime in on that.
Old 01-05-13, 07:18 PM
jwin
Lexus Test Driver

You can trick the Ecu by adding a 10 ohms 1/2 watt resistor for the egr.
Old 01-05-13, 07:25 PM
hmhatch
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

That's exactly what I was just going to post after doing some research. Thanks Jwin.
Old 01-06-13, 08:43 PM
Lowlexus
Rookie

Originally Posted by hmhatch
Lowlexus, everything you listed should work. You've got the right idea. Use everything you can to keep the obd2 ecu happy. Usdm Mafs is needed and the Aristo map sensor will be the "turbo pressure sensor" that the ecu is looking for. 550 injectors and resistor pack too. Most time consuming part will be wiring. Start with the original sc300 harness and build your harness using that as the foundation. There has to be a way to trick the ecu into thinking egr is there. Maybe someone can chime in on that.
Yeah the 10ohm trick is said to work so that's not much of a concern... I've been thinking about this for a while and if I have to buy a few sensors to make this work...it'll be well worth it....finding a usdm obd2 TT with low miles is like finding a needle in a hay stack...plus if this works it will help us obd2 guys from having to go na-t only...don't get me wrong, if I had to go na-t then I would but I won't be happy with it...I don't like the intake setup, or the distributor, direct ignition is the way to go...even if I get a ffim...I would have to buy TT valve covers to remove the wedged stock ones for a cleaner look...

I got another question... if I get the 550 cc injectors for a usdm TT, why would I need the resistors? I thought you needed the resistors only for the JDM ecu? The JDM ecu uses low independence injectors and usdm uses high independence...right? I could be wrong though, lol and thanks to all that has been joining and putting in some input..
Old 01-07-13, 03:22 AM
jwin
Lexus Test Driver

The usdm and jdm Ecu are looking for high impedance injector. The 550cc injector on a usdm is actually low impedance and the box is actually to make them high impedance. The jdm injector are only 440 cc but are high impedance so no box needed. If you find injector that are side feed high impedance then you don't need a box.

Me personally dont like jdm motor without a full rebuild. Most of the ones I have seen have been neglected. I don't know if that's due to the months at sea to get here or the car owner knowing the car will get scrap in a few years and don't care for oil changes and maintenance etc. I have seen too many jdm motor throw rods and bearing failure etc. In my opinion a complete tear down on any motor now will save you the pain on doing it twice.

Last edited by jwin; 01-07-13 at 03:32 AM.
Old 01-07-13, 06:47 AM
Lowlexus
Rookie

Originally Posted by jwin
The usdm and jdm Ecu are looking for high impedance injector. The 550cc injector on a usdm is actually low impedance and the box is actually to make them high impedance. The jdm injector are only 440 cc but are high impedance so no box needed. If you find injector that are side feed high impedance then you don't need a box.

Me personally dont like jdm motor without a full rebuild. Most of the ones I have seen have been neglected. I don't know if that's due to the months at sea to get here or the car owner knowing the car will get scrap in a few years and don't care for oil changes and maintenance etc. I have seen too many jdm motor throw rods and bearing failure etc. In my opinion a complete tear down on any motor now will save you the pain on doing it twice.
Ok i got it... So both ecu's are actually looking for High impedance... i just learned something new today! That saves me some reasearch time...

And yeah i agree... the tear down will be a nessasary... I really dont like the sound of rods banging away.... I was a 5mgte or lets say 5mge-T guy, when i had my 85 Supra and every two to three months i heard one... But i was younger and didnt care about running 17psi on the old 200,000 mile motors that i kept replacing
Old 01-07-13, 07:02 AM
jwin
Lexus Test Driver

Let me know how the swap goes. Waiting on the last few parts before I start on my Tt Ecu swap on my obd 2 sc300. My goal is almost the same as your which is trying to get the usdm Tt Ecu to work with my na motor to pass inspection with a turbo setup.
Old 01-07-13, 11:08 AM
Lowlexus
Rookie

Originally Posted by jwin
Let me know how the swap goes. Waiting on the last few parts before I start on my Tt Ecu swap on my obd 2 sc300. My goal is almost the same as your which is trying to get the usdm Tt Ecu to work with my na motor to pass inspection with a turbo setup.
Oh yeah for sure I'll be posting my progress as I go...I bought me a 500 dollar car just to get me to work when I start my build...that way I won't rush myself to get it done
Old 01-07-13, 12:08 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

good luck, looks like both of you are doing the same conversion.
We do not have a write up for odb2 yet, but look into my tt ecu mod thread for some general guidelines.
keep your old odb2 maf you may be able to use it, along with the map sensor from the aristo.
The usdm ecu will need both of those to function properly.

also with using the GE wiring harness, do realize that when using a stock aristo motor, that none of the turbo vsv's are there to control the twins. If you want to keep the twins perfectly stock you would need to get and install all of those to get it working 100%. If you want to avoid all of that you can bypass that stuff its called TTC mode, or you can just go single turbo. as for if the ECU will miss any of these vsv's in regards to CEL, not sure anyone here has made it that far on odb2, so one of you 2 will hopefully be letting us know.

auto trans as mentioned above will need the solenoids plugged in to get rid of that if your original GE harness was an automatic. If you have an original odb2 5 speed car (96 or 97 only), then you may not have to worry about it as there is no place to put them in, and the odb2 on your car may not even be looking for it.

Like mine is odb1, but since I have a original 5 spd car and an aristo ecu, I get no transmission codes at all, although odb1 is much more relaxed when it comes to triggering a CEL. odb2 is much more sensitive to that stuff.
Old 01-07-13, 12:53 PM
Lowlexus
Rookie

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
good luck, looks like both of you are doing the same conversion.
We do not have a write up for odb2 yet, but look into my tt ecu mod thread for some general guidelines.
keep your old odb2 maf you may be able to use it, along with the map sensor from the aristo.
The usdm ecu will need both of those to function properly.

also with using the GE wiring harness, do realize that when using a stock aristo motor, that none of the turbo vsv's are there to control the twins. If you want to keep the twins perfectly stock you would need to get and install all of those to get it working 100%. If you want to avoid all of that you can bypass that stuff its called TTC mode, or you can just go single turbo. as for if the ECU will miss any of these vsv's in regards to CEL, not sure anyone here has made it that far on odb2, so one of you 2 will hopefully be letting us know.

auto trans as mentioned above will need the solenoids plugged in to get rid of that if your original GE harness was an automatic. If you have an original odb2 5 speed car (96 or 97 only), then you may not have to worry about it as there is no place to put them in, and the odb2 on your car may not even be looking for it.

Like mine is odb1, but since I have a original 5 spd car and an aristo ecu, I get no transmission codes at all, although odb1 is much more relaxed when it comes to triggering a CEL. odb2 is much more sensitive to that stuff.
Thaks man... my ultimate goal is to get it running stock first then I'll do single T...But you are correct I would need the vsv's which i will look into the TTC mode setup you mentioned to bypass that junk...After I get it running I will post a write up on my Completion... the big part is going to be the wiring...which should be fun...lol

Quick Reply: [Q]OBD2 SC300 5 Speed TT swap w/working OBD2 Port