Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Aftermarket Air intake system question

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-13, 06:53 PM
brucelee1
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts
Default Aftermarket Air intake system question

I must admit I like the look of the air intake systems with the aluminum intake pipe that replaces the stock unit. Is there any reason to NOT buy one of these?
Old 01-03-13, 08:23 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you buy the wrong/cheap kind that actually reduces preformance.
Nevermind looks, engine mods should be done properly and for preformace; if you do it wrong (which a lot of people do because they like the way something 'looks') you can hurt your engine/pocket in the long run. Otherwise you might as well paint flames down the side of your car and call it 'suped-up'!

..all that being said, a cold air intake or bfi is pretty a pretty basic and simple mod to do, cant really mess it up
Old 01-03-13, 08:28 PM
FrshPrince
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just do a BFI it's like 30 bucks vs 300 but if you're really bent on aluminum tubing go for it!
Old 01-03-13, 08:33 PM
blk&blu*j
Lexus Test Driver

Just get a few JDM stickers if you really want to make power!!:

Just like the Honda guys and get a really big fart can for the sound of fast.
Old 01-03-13, 09:51 PM
3L4jzz31
Pole Position

They do look nice and the sound it makes is cool. Other than that it doesn't make a real difference compared to a BFI (theres a thread talking about the dyno difference between the two). You don't really have to worry about "cheap" intakes considering injen (carb approved) and apex'i (not carb approved) are basically the only people that make a basic bolt on for our car that is easy to find (not factoring in w/e backyard random stuff you find on ebay).

I personally have one on my car (injen) and enjoy how it looks and sounds, I feel it gives a slight improvement over the stock box but I would assume it's not anything more than if you did the BFI.
Old 01-04-13, 05:01 AM
brucelee1
Racer

Thanks, 3L. I really don't care if it improves performance, as long as it doesn't muck anything up. I like the looks of the injen unit.

Can you elaborate on the "sound" issue. I guess I hadn't expected anything change in that dept.

I do like the looks of the metal tubing. I just added a strut tower brace under the hood and like that also.

(GTSPEC strut brace).
Old 01-04-13, 07:27 AM
sc400ka
Pole Position

your going to hear more sound from the intake from the increase of air flow. all the baffles and hoses kill this sound also take away some performance aspect. however they also give you the proper air flow to keep your mpg's as high as they can get. if your going to get an intake look into a volocity stack, filter combo. i got one for my car just waiting for it to be above 30 to work on the car. also what helps the most *if you can find it* a pipe that has some rifling in the pipe will help direct flow and spped up the charge a bit. i would never go with a over the counter intake system there cost isnt worth it to me since i can build one for cheaper.
Old 01-04-13, 07:57 AM
Candela
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I made mine for like 50 bucks, cold air, tucked it right there the hole where the factory intercooler piping would have gone through in japan. Even made the ports for the power-steering vacuum and the pvc.
Old 01-04-13, 09:11 AM
brucelee1
Racer

Thanks guys. I have to think through the sound issue. I do like the look of the metal pipes. Wonder if I can just replace the pipe?
Old 01-04-13, 09:29 AM
3L4jzz31
Pole Position

It's not really an issue, the intake just makes a slight "sucking" or vacuum sound. Really itt makes people that don't know much about cars think you got more under your hood than you might really have .
Old 02-02-13, 09:23 AM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What would be some top choices for my 92 SC 400? Actually the engine is a 93, but I think they are pretty much identical. I really don't want to make my own, in fact the guy who did the engine swap couldn't even get the intake on properly and it is currently missing three bolts : (

So yea a simple 4 bolt injen or other brand solution sounds good to me, keep it simple and easy to install this way I can get rid of the other junk. Say I have a $300 budget....more or less depending on options. I would love to get a performance boost even if it's minimal.

Here's a pic of what I currently have under the hood, I know my engine area is embarrassing the guy who swapped did a pretty crappy job. I actually cleaned it up a bit yesterday so its not soo dirty anymore, but yea check it out...

I much rather just put something new in there then fix something old. Hell even the air filter needs a replacing. I know it's pretty bad, but it's a work in progress right now.

Lol check my custom hood holder , I cut it to size to hold my trunk and my hood, aint it swell?

Last edited by Biddles; 02-02-13 at 09:26 AM.
Old 02-02-13, 09:56 PM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FIT-LEXUS-SC...vxp=mtr&_uhb=1
Old 02-03-13, 05:20 AM
brucelee1
Racer

How about a couple of hood supports first?
Old 02-03-13, 09:32 AM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by brucelee1
How about a couple of hood supports first?
Lmao my sticks sturdy

Everything in good time. Power steering getting fixed tomorrow, fixing a coolant hose the same day hopefully. Putting in a few missing bolts here and there that the guy lost during the swap. Then going to sea foam my car and do a full tune up. Then probably going to get the Injen intake or the one posted above. Damn the Injen intake is $255....this ebay link is only $45.... I'm not so sure about the quality of the ebay stuff. It says it's not compatible with my 92 sc 400, or the 93 sc 400 engine....looks like it would fit fine though...

I'm assuming a K&N filter would fit on that ebay intake?
Old 02-03-13, 03:06 PM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

It comes with a filter

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Air intake system question