Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Avg. Cost of a 2JZ-GTE swap?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-12, 06:12 AM
Casper9604
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Avg. Cost of a 2JZ-GTE swap?

So i've been searching on the forum for about 3 hours now, and can't find any information on how much an average swap for the 2JZ-GTE in the SC... it would be with a 5-speed as well... any thoughts or information i could use would be fantastic, or if there is a post on this topic, and i missed it somehow, the post would be even better. Thank you for everyone's time and if this has already been addressed then i apologize.
Old 12-31-12, 06:59 AM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

depends on who is doing the work. Lets assume you are doing all the work yourself. If you do it right, meaning replace all the seals, timing belt, water pump,clutch,motor mounts,intercooler,p/s hoses,reservour.....etc etc...etc. I would strongly suggest also replacing the head gasket and installing Arp studs while the motor is out. Save yourself major headache. Every coolant hose on the engine as well. with 5 speed swap youre looking roughly 5-6k in parts alone.
Old 12-31-12, 08:29 AM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agreed I am at 6k on my 1j swap as of now but thats a lot of do it rght the 1st time stuff goig on such as singl turbo,built trans etc etc So I would say a solid 8k if you do evrithing right the 1st time
Old 12-31-12, 08:38 AM
2BENVD
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Guess I won't be doing a swap lol...
Old 12-31-12, 08:42 AM
Casper9604
Rookie

Well I found a GTE block with the 5speed tranny for $3500. I will be replacing all of the seals and gaskets myself, but i don't have the equipment that i would need for an engine swap, so i was considering bringing it to a Import Custom shop right down the street from my apartment to have them swap the engines. I heard that there is a lot of issues with getting the harness done and everything... I really don't want the shop to try and screw me on price though and wasn't sure on what a good number would be.
Old 12-31-12, 08:44 AM
Casper9604
Rookie

2BENVD: I feel your pain.. the only reason i'm planning on doing this is because i eventually want boost anyway, and this weekend when i was removing my alternator to have it tested (it tested bad... fml) i noticed that there was a small amount of oil coming out of the front of my block...
Old 12-31-12, 08:56 AM
Casper9604
Rookie

Also i don't know whether or not i should choose the VVT-i engine... i don't plan on making this a race car, and i know VVT-i helps (ever so slightly) with gas mileage... i don't plan on pushing more that 400HP to the wheels eventually.
Old 12-31-12, 02:09 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I budgeted around 7k and after it was all said and done, it was 13k plus with the tune.
Old 12-31-12, 04:01 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

I am pretty sure by the time it's all said and done I will be right there as well, So easy to do and I do all of my own work which I could not imagine if you had to pay a shop to do it
Old 01-01-13, 01:20 AM
jwin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say go na-t instead of spending all that money for a swap. 5 speed r154 swap and single turbo with support mods and you will probably spend less than a swap and make more power. If your motor is high mileage buy a lower mileage one for 500 bucks and put arp head studs with Tt headgasket.
Old 01-01-13, 10:45 AM
wanganstyl
Lead Lap

Cheapest is to just buy complete running car with a turbo engine already installed and manual transmission installed.

80% of the "import custom" shops cannot wire up one of these. perhaps even more % but I'll be nice since its a new year

Dropping off your car @ "import custom" shop for "engine swap with wiring" is a great way to:

a. Be down one car for 6 months-1.5 years
b. Loose alot of $,$$$ in "Labor" to them learning how to wire/mess up your car
c. after 1.5 years of frustration pay them and get your car back..........in not running condition
d. repeat and drop off the car at Shop B to have a-c done again.
Old 01-01-13, 10:56 AM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Sad but very true^^
Old 01-01-13, 10:58 AM
wanganstyl
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by xspsi6
Sad but very true^^
Extremely sad yes. I have had friends thrown in to this cycle and they end up selling off the broken/dead/incomplete project car for pennies after years of hatred.

This is no fun, don't do it.
Old 01-01-13, 11:12 AM
chnk
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by wanganstyl
Cheapest is to just buy complete running car with a turbo engine already installed and manual transmission installed.

80% of the "import custom" shops cannot wire up one of these. perhaps even more % but I'll be nice since its a new year

Dropping off your car @ "import custom" shop for "engine swap with wiring" is a great way to:

c. after 1.5 years of frustration pay them and get your car back..........in not running condition
x3 my friends 1j swap into her sc was wired the craziest way i mean the blinkers and the radio is connected somehow

make sure the swap is done at a shop that works on jz motors often, even if its a little of a drive.
Old 01-01-13, 12:43 PM
lfrers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wanganstyl

Originally Posted by xspsi6
Sad but very true^^
Listen to these guys!
There are so many horror stories about shops that screw ppl over. So be careful. Go with a place that someone you know has used and had good results.
Personally If I were doing it again, I would just do a mild single turbo kit with stock compression 8-9 psi and be done with power, focus on wheels/exterior/interior.
I spent way too much money for the power I have. Dont believe all the youtube BS.

Quick Reply: Avg. Cost of a 2JZ-GTE swap?