Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

NA-T Cam Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-12, 06:48 PM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts
Default NA-T Cam Opinions

My current setup is a 92 SC300, 11psi on a BW 61mm making 400hp. Plans are to turn that up to 30psi come summer with 600hp aspirations.

As anyone else with the non-vvti GE motors know, our cam choices are a bit limited since we require the gear on the exhaust cam to spin the distributor and cam/crank sensor. The options I see are the following:

1) TTC regrinds for $850 + shipping + cores. Simplest choice, but not too many options
2) Contact Web Cams for something similar to the TTC's. More options probably, but similar or more cost.
3) Modify head, ignition, and cam/crank sensors so you can run off-the-shelf GTE cams
4) Run an aftermarket GTE intake cam, but still need to find an exhaust cam with dist gear that complements the GTE intake cam you choose.

I came from a platform (4G63) where if I needed a set of cams, I could get a new set for $500 or less, or easily find a used for under $300. So all of these options seem lame to me as they all require more money then I'm used to spending for a cam upgrade. So I've been researching & reading a lot more than I probably should be to try and find a more affordable solution, and not even sure if I will/would find something better. But wanted to at least give it a shot.

So, I may have found a solution that is quite a bit more affordable. It will be a few months before I'm actually able to put this car on a dyno as it's under-going a lot of stuff right now. But in the mean time I was going to pick up a set of cams for a pretty reasonable price. There's a few different options though, and wanted to see what some of the 2jz cam experts think as far as sizing goes. Here's the 2 sizes I'm focusing on, keep in mind that this is a 95% street car, and I want to retain as much streetability / drivability / usable power band as possible.

1) Intake & Exhaust - duration of 264, max lift around 9.4mm
2) Intake & Exhaust - duration of 272, max lift around 9.8mm

One thing to mention is I do plan on getting some aftermarket springs, but probably the cheapest singles I can find. Something like the BC Spring/Retainers or the GSC single springs that reuse the stock retainers.

I'm really leaning towards the 264 right now as the lower duration will help keep lope down, helping drivability. And it has a somewhat high lift (compared to 9.0 HKS, 9.14 TTC). I like the idea of the shorter duration, with a slightly higher liift for reducing overlap, yet opening a little further to still let a good amount of air through. However I worry about it being to extreme of lift causing issues with valve float. Hopefully the better springs negate that. Also I compared them to the Titan 264's, which have a lift of 9.35mm, and they don't mention needing springs, so I'm thinking it'll be fine.

Otherwise the 272's would be nice, maybe a little softer of a ramp since it has a longer duration to ramp up. I just worry about it causing issues with my idle. I'm 30 now, and don't want a race car anymore. I want something I can just put the key in, starts right up, and is fun rather than a chore to drive around town.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Old 12-11-12, 04:44 AM
lfrers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

BC 264/264 for street
Old 12-11-12, 07:54 AM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

BC does not make an exhaust cam that works for the non-VVTi GE motors (w/ distributor gear) as far as I know.
Old 12-11-12, 01:55 PM
Zinik
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can get them reground from Schneider for about 300 you may need to run lash caps but they can do whatever grind you want
Old 12-11-12, 02:21 PM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

^^^ That's exactly what i posted on his thread on SF.

I am doing some kelford 280 on my car using the GE Head.
Old 12-11-12, 02:48 PM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

I don't have a thread on SF? Someone else had a thread that I commented in, is that what you're referring to? And per your post , that is actually the company I'm looking at, and the cam specs I posted in this one happen to be their 264-HL and 272 grinds they advertise. So I do thank you for pointing me in their direction!

However that's not really the question I'm asking here, I'm asking for some feedback on those cam choices/specs, which happen to be their advertised 272, and 264-HL.

Last edited by Halon; 12-11-12 at 03:53 PM.
Old 12-11-12, 04:42 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

webcam/ttc ge reground 268 cams approx 9.4 lift to m is the best compromise . thats what i have and have been using for over 3 yrs now .. these cams gave me almost 80 rwhp bump in power and carries my power right up to 8k rpm which is unusal for a 2jz and made it with about 3 lbs less boost so you choose

Last edited by lexforlife; 12-11-12 at 04:46 PM.
Old 12-11-12, 04:49 PM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Was that a custom grind? TTC's website shows 9.14mm for their 268's.

I was actually going to ask Schneider if they would be willing to basically do the 264 / 9.4mm grind, but extend the duration out to 268 to kind of soften the ramp a hair, as well as hopefully meet in the middle (duration wise) between 264 and 272. I appreciate your feedback, thanks!

Also, did you ever run those on stock springs, or did you always use the BC's in your sig? Sounds like the BC springs have worked well enough to allow you to rev safely to 8k without noticing any issues? Are you still on standard buckets/shims, or did you go shimless?

I ask because my goal is 8k as well, so was going to get BC springs, and am on the fence on whether or not I should go shimless buckets or not.

Last edited by Halon; 12-11-12 at 04:52 PM.
Old 12-12-12, 03:43 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

I didn't undertstand who said "Just get this brand"?! I never said that.

264 is the winner.
Old 12-12-12, 09:55 AM
spoolxexo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Halon

I'm really leaning towards the 264 right now as the lower duration will help keep lope down, helping drivability. .

I'm 30 now, and don't want a race car anymore. I want something I can just put the key in, starts right up, and is fun rather than a chore to drive around town.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Well, there you go!

From one 4g63 guy to another:

1. 264 is perfect for a boosted 3 liter. They may have not been received too highly is 4g63 land, but that's because those suckers are down two cylinders and a liter of cola down on displacement.

2. You came from the torture of interference engine land, so give yourself a break by keeping lift under 9mm to keep the valves from contacting. JZ engines are not interference!

3.Stock cams and 18-20psi will most certainly stain your shorties, so the 264's will not disappoint!
Old 12-12-12, 11:15 AM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Quicksc4
I didn't undertstand who said "Just get this brand"?! I never said that.

264 is the winner.
Post #2 for example.
Old 12-12-12, 11:47 AM
GotRiceYo
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Zinik
You can get them reground from Schneider for about 300 you may need to run lash caps but they can do whatever grind you want
Wait... So you can get the BC regrinds from Schneider??

I was just on BC website and the only list for the GE VVTI application... Correct? If so, how can this be used in the non vvti??

TTC 268 seem to be the best option right? I mean, the 264 with custom grind for the 9.4 lift, you might as well just get the 268's.. Or am I not understanding this correctly?
Old 12-12-12, 12:34 PM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Originally Posted by Halon
Post #2 for example.
Haha sorry I missed that!

Casey,

You can get your stock cams regrind from Schneider.

The vvti cams will not work on the regular ge , different application.
Old 12-12-12, 12:50 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

I would go with the more street able one, which well all know is the 264, and just turn up the boost some more.
268 sounds like a good option also for a little added insurance.
Old 12-12-12, 02:54 PM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GotRiceYo
TTC 268 seem to be the best option right? I mean, the 264 with custom grind for the 9.4 lift, you might as well just get the 268's.. Or am I not understanding this correctly?
I think the part your missing is that they cost significantly less then TTC's.

I contacted Kevin over there a couple days ago, he replied within minutes. I was quite impressed.

However it has been a couple days now and he hasn't replied to my follow up emails regarding grind options, and shipping info for me to send the cams to.

Quick Reply: NA-T Cam Opinions