Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Cleaned IACV now my SC400 won't start

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-12, 09:51 PM
86'ed
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaned IACV now my SC400 won't start

I've got a 1992 sc400. Before I went and cleaned the IACV the car ran fine. Now after cleaning it the car cranks and sounds like its trying to start but immediately dies. There's also a strong smell of gas. I figured I fouled the plugs so I pulled them (yep, they were covered in gas) and replaced them but still no difference. I checked for loose vacuum tubes (that doesn't seem to be the problem). Did I ***** over the IACV by spraying it with throttle body cleaner? I sprayed the entire thing including the nipple part and then cleaned it carefully with a brush. I made sure it was dry afterwards and let it sit overnight just to be sure. Anybody deal with anything like this before? I'd appreciate any advice you guys can offer! And yes, I used the search function but couldn't find a solution to an issue like mine!

Last edited by 86'ed; 12-07-12 at 10:05 PM.
Old 12-08-12, 07:40 AM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ont-start.html
IMO The IACV wouldn't hinder the car from starting, but you never know... Read this thread^^^ GL!
Old 12-08-12, 08:16 AM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When you crank it over floor the gas all the way as this will shut the injectors off and if you are dumping to much gas this will help diagnose the problem and give you a direction in which to look.
Old 12-08-12, 10:35 AM
86'ed
Rookie

Originally Posted by SC400slide
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ont-start.html
IMO The IACV wouldn't hinder the car from starting, but you never know... Read this thread^^^ GL!
I'll check it out! Thanks!
Old 12-08-12, 10:39 AM
86'ed
Rookie

Originally Posted by xspsi6
When you crank it over floor the gas all the way as this will shut the injectors off and if you are dumping to much gas this will help diagnose the problem and give you a direction in which to look.
I'll give that a shot! Thanks for the advice!
Old 12-08-12, 11:08 AM
Bankswood
Lead Lap

Does the car turn over then immediately die? I bet you could pull a code since it won't start.

After I cleaned my IACV it would not start, turned out to be bad TPS.
Old 12-08-12, 11:39 AM
86'ed
Rookie

Originally Posted by Bankswood
Does the car turn over then immediately die? I bet you could pull a code since it won't start.

After I cleaned my IACV it would not start, turned out to be bad TPS.
Yes, it turns over but just dies! I checked for codes using the paperclip trick and pulled a code 15 and 24! Before I cleaned my IACV she ran great! I'll check the TPS... Thanks! Did you get any CEL's after you cleaned yours and it wouldn't start? Anyone know what could cause codes 15 and 24 after cleaning IACV? I appreciate the input guys!
Old 12-08-12, 03:12 PM
kmoore737
Driver

Did you rememeber to plug the connector back in? I know it seems obvious but I have done far worse in trying to figure things out. It does seem unlikely you would have a tps issue at the same time...just saying
Old 12-08-12, 04:07 PM
Bankswood
Lead Lap

Well 41 is TPS 24 is intake air temp. Make sure MAf sensor is plugged in tight. Also when I pulled my IACV I had to move a lot of crap around. Check your coil connection.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...ght-codes.html
Old 12-10-12, 06:44 AM
86'ed
Rookie

Originally Posted by kmoore737
Did you rememeber to plug the connector back in? I know it seems obvious but I have done far worse in trying to figure things out. It does seem unlikely you would have a tps issue at the same time...just saying
Ya, I quintuple checked everything to make sure it's all plugged back in! It's easy to overlook the simple things sometimes.
Old 12-10-12, 06:47 AM
86'ed
Rookie

Well 41 is TPS 24 is intake air temp. Make sure MAf sensor is plugged in tight. Also when I pulled my IACV I had to move a lot of crap around. Check your coil connection.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...ght-codes.html
Ok, so code 24 is intake air temp... Is there anything else associated with that or just the MAF?
Old 12-10-12, 07:00 AM
86'ed
Rookie

Don't know if this could have caused any issues but I sprayed some CRC electrical connection cleaner in the connector that plugs into the IACV but forgot to remove the battery terminal first! Ya, pretty stupid! I know! Could that have fried anything?

Also, on other note, if I killed my IACV from cleaning it improperly (if that can even be done) would that cause my car to not start up?
I'm getting a code 15 as well (ignition signal... I think!?!) what all is associated with that?

Lots of questions I know, but I really appreciate you guys @ CL! I'd be lost without y'all!
Old 12-11-12, 06:13 AM
Bankswood
Lead Lap

86'ed, if you haven't already done this then I would disconnect the battery for 30 minutes to clear the codes. Then. Try and crank the car again. Now check for codes and see what comes up.

The first time I checked for codes after I got my car It had about 5 problems. After I did the reset I only had one and was able to diagnose and fix my problem.
Old 12-11-12, 08:04 AM
86'ed
Rookie

86'ed, if you haven't already done this then I would disconnect the battery for 30 minutes to clear the codes. Then. Try and crank the car again. Now check for codes and see what comes up.

The first time I checked for codes after I got my car It had about 5 problems. After I did the reset I only had one and was able to diagnose and fix my problem.
That's a good idea! I've only checked codes once. I'll check again once I get my parts in. I'm gonna replace the MAF sensor since I've got a related code and since I got one hella cheap. I need to invest in a multi meter so I can check my sensors and whatnot... also need to get some good repair manuals too! Thanks for your input Bankswood! Much appreciated bro!
Old 12-11-12, 08:08 AM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Hey 86'ed, 1JZPWRD has the 4k page manual for the SC300/400. It is $10 on a disc. A good deal IMO. You can ****** up a cheap multimeter or ohmmeter at Wal-Mart or something. GL

Quick Reply: Cleaned IACV now my SC400 won't start