Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Starting and Headlight up issues...

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-12, 03:15 PM
victorvaj
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting and Headlight up issues...

Hi,

My name is Victor and I bought my 95 SC400 a couple of months ago. I love it very much. However today my car began to have issues. A starting and lighting issue.

First Issue.
I had my dad check it and he feels it's 70 percent a starter problem. However, I would like your expertise on this issue too. My father and I tried jump starting it, and nothing. I don't think it's a battery issue because all power windows, radio and headlights are fine. Alternator is fine too so are the fuse. First thing I checked. I've been onto Lextreme site to look up replacing the starter, and that's a pain I can see haha. My engine doesn't turn and when I turn on my ignition to try to start car, just clicking noise. So I'm assuming it's a starter problem. If I am wrong, please do enlighten me. Thanks.

Second Issue.
My right (passenger side) headlight low beam will not work. I replaced all necessary fuses.I even bought a new H1 bulb to see if it light that one up, and it didn't. I have aftermarket headlights on my SC. So I'm not too sure what the issue can be? I'm assuming it's a connection problem, like the harness but am I wrong too? If anyone can give me insight, I would be very much appreciative of your help. Thanks.

Victor
95 SC400
Proud Owner In Arkansas
Old 12-04-12, 03:28 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

If I heard a click when a car didn't start, my first thought would be "dead battery". Next one would be "alternator" then next one would be "Starter". The starter is most likely your culprit...but don't replace it yet, I'd do more researching. Yes, it is a pain to replace the starter. It's what you get for buying an SC400 lol, the starter is pretty much in the middle of the motor. On the V6 SC300 it's like what, a 30 min job.

Sounds like your headlight has a loose wire, like you suspect. I'd follow the wires to the headlight and trace any melting/disconnection/imperfections in the wire...

Don't be hating your SC just yet, it's an awesome car.

GL!
Old 01-06-13, 07:14 PM
JJJAMES511
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also just had this issue wwith my 95' sc400. Would just click when I tried to start it. , Turns out it was my alternator. I just replaced it myself and the part only cost $80, I bout a $100 new battery to go a long with it because I would have needed a new one too. but with the right tools it was a cheap fix. Not to easey though. Let me know if you need assistance, you can take the alternator off and take to get checked in a part store and they will tell you.. If this is not the issue than simply put back on and check next best thing, My left headlamp is also out and I think that the alternator may have caused this, electrical issues or something because I have checked the bulbs and fuses as well and all are fine, I even put a new bulb in just in case and nothing. so I am thinking wiring issue. (My lights are OEM origional so shouldn't be an aftermarket part issue.) Any ways, good luck and let me know if/how you fix light and I will return the favor.