Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

I hate my car

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-12, 03:43 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

a foot would be fine. yes disconnecting the o2's would help some with the ecu getting confused about the missing air, really sort of a workaround that will always run rich. what would be better than that is to get a bov that can recirculate or remove it temp. Its long been known that only map cars should vent to atmosphere, you will continue to have small problems like that, the ecu is already confused by how much more air its seeing in closed loop with the supercharger vs a turbocharger.

try disconnecting the o2's and then reset the ecu. with a supercharger it is difficult to not go into boost.
you could always use a map ecu or something to take the maf out of the equation, then you could vent to atmostphere.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 12-03-12 at 03:46 PM.
Old 12-03-12, 05:10 PM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I looked over the KMV sensor, and moving it any further is going to be a very difficult task.

Today, I opened up the screw on the KMV sensor to let some more air bypass, and reset the ECU. I forgot to remove the vacuum from the BOV. Actually it's pretty easy to stay out of boost, I don't make boost until about 3500, so long as I stay out of it and drive like a grandma it should be all right.

So far I've driven it about two or three miles and cruise it stays at about 13.5:1 and idle is right at 15:1. I'm going to take it easy until I can find a bolt to disconnect the BOV for now.

Ali, have you had any experience with MAPECU? It seems (from a little google searching) it doesn't like the KMV too much, and people say it's a PITA to tune. I may try to score a cheap one to get rid of the KMV sensor anyway though.
Old 12-03-12, 07:11 PM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ihiryu
Today, I opened up the screw on the KMV sensor to let some more air bypass, and reset the ECU. I forgot to remove the vacuum from the BOV. Actually it's pretty easy to stay out of boost, I don't make boost until about 3500, so long as I stay out of it and drive like a grandma it should be all right.
Do you see the irony? You supercharged the car just to make it unreliable and yield poor gas mileage so now you have to drive it as if it didn't have a supercharger.

I'm going to tell you what everyone else ends up learning, the hard way as you are, you can't have performance and readability/fuel economy together. If I were you I'd remove the SC and DD it as-is then focus on something more important in life. You should own your car and not let it own you.

Last edited by account2x; 12-03-12 at 07:52 PM.
Old 12-03-12, 07:22 PM
SC400-V8
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pretty solid recommendation. I would NEVER supercharge an old SC3 or SC4... I jumped on the PPE headers because alot of other people did as it adds some power without any loss of reliability, but it was hard enough for me to even do that.

Originally Posted by account2x
Do you see the irony? You supercharged the car just to make it unreliable and yield poor gas mileage so now you have to drive it as if it didn't have a supercharged.

I'm going to tell you what everyone else ends up learning, the hard way as you are, you can't have performance and readability/fuel economy together. If I were you I'd remove the SC and DD it as-is then focus on something more important in life. You should own your car and not let it own you.
Old 12-03-12, 11:13 PM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

Do you see the irony? You supercharged the car just to make it unreliable and yield poor gas mileage so now you have to drive it as if it didn't have a supercharger.

Or I could just figure out what's going on with it and continue on. It's going to take some time, but I'm not really too worried about it. No offense, but I would really hate to live in a world that when something difficult comes about and everyone just runs from it.

You have to make mistakes to learn, and sometimes you don't even have to make a mistake to learn something. Has everything you done just gone smooth as butter? For some reason I just don't foresee that putting a SC on a car, with stock management would cause it to run incorrectly, with the help of Ali I'm slowly figuring it out.

I do have my Adaptronic ECU here as well, just need to find someone that can tune it. I'm doing my best to follow behind KC95SC400. He has a decently fast SC400 that seems pretty reliable to me. He had problems as well, and he pulled through, and seems pretty happy with his car.

Though I have to admit, it is frustrating especially since I had nothing to really go on, Ali has been a major help and I'm glad that he is helping me out, even though it doesn't seem as he has had much experience with 1UZ, but has a bit of experience with the early Toyota ECU.

For everyone else, thanks for the help and words of encouragement. I'll keep trying and get this all figured out for whoever else wants to go manual supercharged SC4 instead of swapping to a 2j or 1j.

Anyway, I've been driving around town, and everything seems to be getting better, AFR's are staying pretty steady and predictable. So I'm going to do some research into getting rid of the BOV, or finding one that's recirculating.
Old 12-04-12, 03:18 AM
Clean400
Lead Lap

Or I could just figure out what's going on with it and continue on. It's going to take some time, but I'm not really too worried about it. No offense, but I would really hate to live in a world that when something difficult comes about and everyone just runs from it.

You have to make mistakes to learn, and sometimes you don't even have to make a mistake to learn something. Has everything you done just gone smooth as butter? For some reason I just don't foresee that putting a SC on a car, with stock management would cause it to run incorrectly, with the help of Ali I'm slowly figuring it out.

I do have my Adaptronic ECU here as well, just need to find someone that can tune it. I'm doing my best to follow behind KC95SC400. He has a decently fast SC400 that seems pretty reliable to me. He had problems as well, and he pulled through, and seems pretty happy with his car.

Though I have to admit, it is frustrating especially since I had nothing to really go on, Ali has been a major help and I'm glad that he is helping me out, even though it doesn't seem as he has had much experience with 1UZ, but has a bit of experience with the early Toyota ECU.

For everyone else, thanks for the help and words of encouragement. I'll keep trying and get this all figured out for whoever else wants to go manual supercharged SC4 instead of swapping to a 2j or 1j.

Anyway, I've been driving around town, and everything seems to be getting better, AFR's are staying pretty steady and predictable. So I'm going to do some research into getting rid of the BOV, or finding one that's recirculating.
I think most people are hating on you because of the title of the thread. It's like you went to the home team's stadium and screamed that their team sucks. I would even go as far to recommend starting a new thread to update us instead of this one! lol

I don't see any problems boosting an old 1uz. Many people have done it before on Lextreme. Within the next 2 years I hope to have a vortech setup as well. I think it's the most underrated setup for the SC400. Everyone just ditches the 1uz without second thought and goes 2J or 1J when this can be done for a lot less. K95SC400 hit 12 seconds in the 1/4 with his setup, and it didn't even cost him that much to build.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ger-found.html

This datalogger would be neat so you can see what's going on. Would be interesting to see what the stock ECU is doing under boost until' you get your adaptronic on.

Last edited by Clean400; 12-04-12 at 03:57 AM.
Old 12-04-12, 08:19 AM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

LoL,

Yeah that makes sense. Here's the biggest thing, the car runs pretty good in town, the biggest thing is when I'm cruising. A friend of mine has a MAPECU2 that he's going to loan me (since he hasn't installed it onto his 1J) to get rid of the KMV sensor and see what it does.

However, I'm going to continue to drive it as is, without getting into any type of boost to see what she does. It's really weird because no matter how I've driven it, anywhere in the 1-2K range is good, and it's just the area of 2K+ that gives me a problem.

I'm currently using a W58 with a 3.27, so 65 MPH is about 2200 RPM's and that's what is killing me. In town I rarely see about 2500 because of my rear end.
Old 12-04-12, 10:59 AM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

You misunderstand. I'm saying doing is just as important as not doing, trying is just as important as not trying and thinking is just as important as not thinking.

I've worked on supercharged UZs and turbocharged JZs; Neither is reliable and both are a hassle.
Attached Thumbnails I hate my car-photo.jpg  
Old 12-04-12, 11:38 AM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

I see what you're saying now.

I've decided that I'm giving up.....

Giving up on stock management. Just ordered my MAP and AIT sensor for my adaptronic. I've been pouring over wiring diagrams, just gotta wait for this stuff to get here

account2x: Is that a GS? The biggest thing is blow through, seems like the toyota ecu doesn't agree with it for some reason.
Old 12-04-12, 12:00 PM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

GS430. We tried installing a haltech piggyback unit but that thing was crap. We ended up getting it running but the piggyback wasn't very reliable so we disconnected it. Last I saw it was running hella rich. I don't know what happened to the guy but from experience usually what ends up happening is the person realizes they are wasting time then parts out the mods or sells the car.
Old 12-04-12, 12:08 PM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

OP there is a guy on the GS forum , speedaddic he is in TX also he has a SC GS400 and i sure he will tell you what to do to get your car running .

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...tting-5hp.html
gl

Last edited by 99SC42; 12-04-12 at 12:13 PM.
Old 12-04-12, 12:43 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

I looked over the KMV sensor, and moving it any further is going to be a very difficult task.

So far I've driven it about two or three miles and cruise it stays at about 13.5:1 and idle is right at 15:1. I'm going to take it easy until I can find a bolt to disconnect the BOV for now.

Ali, have you had any experience with MAPECU? It seems (from a little google searching) it doesn't like the KMV too much, and people say it's a PITA to tune. I may try to score a cheap one to get rid of the KMV sensor anyway though.
LoL,

Yeah that makes sense. Here's the biggest thing, the car runs pretty good in town, the biggest thing is when I'm cruising. A friend of mine has a MAPECU2 that he's going to loan me (since he hasn't installed it onto his 1J) to get rid of the KMV sensor and see what it does.

However, I'm going to continue to drive it as is, without getting into any type of boost to see what she does. It's really weird because no matter how I've driven it, anywhere in the 1-2K range is good, and it's just the area of 2K+ that gives me a problem.

I'm currently using a W58 with a 3.27, so 65 MPH is about 2200 RPM's and that's what is killing me. In town I rarely see about 2500 because of my rear end.
I see what you're saying now.

I've decided that I'm giving up.....

Giving up on stock management. Just ordered my MAP and AIT sensor for my adaptronic. I've been pouring over wiring diagrams, just gotta wait for this stuff to get here

account2x: Is that a GS? The biggest thing is blow through, seems like the toyota ecu doesn't agree with it for some reason.
letting more air bypass will sort of help the problem of it not missing as much air because it didn't measure all of it in the first place.
you don't have to go into boost for the bov to open some, its the pressure difference of the manifold and charge piping that opens the bov, which is most of the time you rev up and let off quickly boost or no boost, you are loosing air.. lol. you're gonna make me tell you like 10 more times aren't ya RECIRCULATE!!!!

take a look at the stock 7mgte system, look it up if you have to, it uses the same maf (little smaller in diameter but the same) in drawthrought, and the factory diverter valve is plumbed back into the intake between the turbo and the maf in a drawthrough configuration, and the 7mgte in stock form performs quite well.
I understand the 1uz isn't mapped for huge amounts of airflow, but up to a certain point it should be enough.

Im not even sure if just removing the line will be enough, because then its only the spring vs your boost pressure, and if you boost enough you could let boost out the bov.

the map ecu does work with the 1uz, at least certain units do. it works fine with KVM or hotwire, its just a table that outputs what the maf would depending on the load from the map sensor and your rpm. basically gets rid of needing to have the system all sealed up. most of the time the stock maps will get you pretty close, unless you have a major problem or very unique setup.

If you have an adaptronic and can get it installed, it would probably be the best, even when running correctly the stock ecu is a pain to battle, hence why people disconnect o2's and all that stuff. If I had a sc400 with a manual swap and a supercharger all bolted up, there would be no way I parted that thing till after I enjoyed it, but I'm pretty stubborn I will try and try until I figure it out.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 12-04-12 at 12:47 PM.
Old 12-04-12, 02:56 PM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

Hey Ali, I took the elbow with the BOV off completely. Seems about the same, but we'll see what happens. Like I said, I'm keeping an eye on my boost gauge and I'm making sure it's staying in vacuum. So far so good.

Oh well, just a little bit longer and I'll just finish up the adaptronic.
Old 12-04-12, 04:05 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

that is sort of the route most of the v8 guys go towards. stock ecu is definitely limited. keep us posted.
did you try pulling the o2's. with all of that stuff maybe it might run better for now.
Old 12-04-12, 06:40 PM
Clean400
Lead Lap

You misunderstand. I'm saying doing is just as important as not doing, trying is just as important as not trying and thinking is just as important as not thinking.

I've worked on supercharged UZs and turbocharged JZs; Neither is reliable and both are a hassle.
That is a really negative comment to make.

So 2JZ or 1JZ engines are both a hassle and unreliable? Not from everything I've heard/experienced.

There have been lots of successful 1UZ setups as well. Let's keep it posiive.

Quick Reply: I hate my car