Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

twin scroll turbo on single scroll manifold... ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-12, 07:57 PM
scmaluco
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default twin scroll turbo on single scroll manifold... ?

Alright boys and girls. So I finally installed my single turbo setup and its almost running 100%.

So iam running a hx35 (twin scroll) on a single scroll manifold. And iam debating if I should take the manifold off and weld a plate in the middle to make it a twin scroll.. . I just spent a few hrs on google reading about other peoples setup and they seem to not have any problems... so my question is, is it worth the time and money to do all that performance wise? Its a ***** to get that manifold off and I realy dont feel like pulling it off for an extra 2hp difference. If you know what I mean. Now if I can lower my spool time by 5-600 rpms then maybe maybe lol.. thanks .

Thanks.

Hx35 turbo (new)
Xspower manifold (new design)
Drift motion downpipe
Drift motion 46mm wastegate

Last edited by scmaluco; 11-20-12 at 08:25 PM.
Old 11-20-12, 10:29 PM
SCary400
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. Good luck getting the plate in the right position as the manifold wasn't built for it and from the pictures I've seen (quick google) there is no collector to speak of. So the divider you'd have to weld in will likely be quite convoluted to fit and divide the gases properly.

2. A properly designed, well engineered, twin scroll manifold will have wastegate ports on each side of the divider. Depending on your manifold design, a twin scroll may not be possible. Since I have no reference to what XS is calling their "new design" I can't comment on whether you'd be trying to control boost by only sending gases from one side of the twin scroll through the wastegate. Even with a wastegate port that accesses both sides of the manifold you may have trouble with creep and exhaust pulses will be able to swap sides, negating some of the desired effect.

A (properly designed, well engineered) twin scroll setup will improve spool. However the amount it will improve is not constant and short of it being tested on a system exactly the same as yours (or back to back testing) you will never know how much it improved. I've seen single vs twin scroll comparisons range from negligible spool increase to boost building 600rpm sooner.
Old 11-21-12, 01:10 AM
scmaluco
Driver

Talking

Originally Posted by SCary400
1. Good luck getting the plate in the right position as the manifold wasn't built for it and from the pictures I've seen (quick google) there is no collector to speak of. So the divider you'd have to weld in will likely be quite convoluted to fit and divide the gases properly.

2. A properly designed, well engineered, twin scroll manifold will have wastegate ports on each side of the divider. Depending on your manifold design, a twin scroll may not be possible. Since I have no reference to what XS is calling their "new design" I can't comment on whether you'd be trying to control boost by only sending gases from one side of the twin scroll through the wastegate. Even with a wastegate port that accesses both sides of the manifold you may have trouble with creep and exhaust pulses will be able to swap sides, negating some of the desired effect.

A (properly designed, well engineered) twin scroll setup will improve spool. However the amount it will improve is not constant and short of it being tested on a system exactly the same as yours (or back to back testing) you will never know how much it improved. I've seen single vs twin scroll comparisons range from negligible spool increase to boost building 600rpm sooner.
Yeah i understand the whole engineering concept behind it all. just thought i would give it a try, but it looks like it will be the way it is... its working great anyways.. thanks for the info mate..
case closed
Old 11-22-12, 04:16 PM
Supra Dr
Moving SC Threads

Received 106 Likes on 75 Posts

A SP quick spool valve may be the easiest/ best solution. Bit pricey, but it works.
Old 11-22-12, 06:50 PM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just get a threadstone manifold that will kill 2 birds with one stone.

clear the distributor and will spool way faster than the xs power manifold.

John check your pm!
Old 11-22-12, 08:34 PM
scmaluco
Driver

Originally Posted by Supra Dr
A SP quick spool valve may be the easiest/ best solution. Bit pricey, but it works.
I tought about that, but not worth it at this time i dont think... plus theres a chance it might not work? i think.. from what i have read theres mix reviews about it.

Originally Posted by Quicksc4
Just get a threadstone manifold that will kill 2 birds with one stone.

clear the distributor and will spool way faster than the xs power manifold.

John check your pm!
its a 1jzgte, but either way wasn't trying to spend anything over 350 for a manifold. i could've gone with a T4 manifold which had twin scroll and just replaced the flange with a t3.. oh well.