Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Free Toyota Pre-OBD Datalogger Found!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-13, 09:24 AM
ishootstuf
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I for one would like to say thank you for sharing this information - even though something on my end prevented it from working. Since my car is running awesome, I have dropped this way down on my priority list.
Old 01-26-13, 09:41 AM
Jostar
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spoolxexo
You're from Texas. Nice try.

Since it's negative 10 degrees outside all week here in New England (Man country), and I have been moving, I decided to rip out my hard-wired cable so you guys can see what I did, since I'm such an idiot, and have no idea what I'm talking about.

Well, looks like I built my cable just like the schematic says. Just like all of you should do.

Can I go put this thing back in now? Pretty please?

The trouble must be in the cable drivers. A lot of the time auto-update can't find it.

Google "USB2.0-Serial" or "USB-RS232" depending on what version of windows you have.

I am running a core 2 laptop with windows XP pro. Works fine.

If anyone else has a problem with all of the things i have learned from experience, and decided to share for no profit, I'll stop.

Then everyone can go back to getting ripped off at shops, makes no difference to me.

Pretty sweet, Can you replicate this cable for Me? I am wayyyyy tooo lazy plus my soldering skills are none existent
Old 01-27-13, 09:19 AM
sikes
Driver School Candidate

I built and tried the cable just today on a JDM 2.5l Soarer, follow the instruction carefully and reset a few parameters in the program and it will work. Make sure you select your engine.
Old 01-30-13, 05:47 AM
Tam4511
Driver

Originally Posted by sikes
I built and tried the cable just today on a JDM 2.5l Soarer, follow the instruction carefully and reset a few parameters in the program and it will work. Make sure you select your engine.
what parameters, exactly?
Old 01-30-13, 06:09 AM
F4A22
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're from Texas. Nice try.

Since it's negative 10 degrees outside all week here in New England (Man country), and I have been moving, I decided to rip out my hard-wired cable so you guys can see what I did, since I'm such an idiot, and have no idea what I'm talking about.

Well, looks like I built my cable just like the schematic says. Just like all of you should do.

Can I go put this thing back in now? Pretty please?

The trouble must be in the cable drivers. A lot of the time auto-update can't find it.

Google "USB2.0-Serial" or "USB-RS232" depending on what version of windows you have.

I am running a core 2 laptop with windows XP pro. Works fine.

If anyone else has a problem with all of the things i have learned from experience, and decided to share for no profit, I'll stop.

Then everyone can go back to getting ripped off at shops, makes no difference to me.
I would buy one if you sell the cable.
Old 01-30-13, 05:57 PM
sikes
Driver School Candidate

I selected my engine type just to be sure, can't remember what else.
Old 02-26-13, 04:39 AM
sikes
Driver School Candidate

Data logger screen on try out.
Attached Thumbnails Free Toyota Pre-OBD Datalogger Found!!-photo13.jpg  
Old 04-07-13, 04:21 AM
Clean400
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just wanted to bump up this amazing thread. Going to be doing this soon. Going to use an old laptop that I haven't used in years to run it.
Old 04-12-13, 05:55 PM
Oconee1985
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is this the correct capacitor
Amico 100 Pcs 0.0033uF 3300pF 100V Mylar Polyester Film Capacitors: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific Amico 100 Pcs 0.0033uF 3300pF 100V Mylar Polyester Film Capacitors: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
Old 04-25-13, 07:18 AM
spoolxexo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, that is the correct one.

Sorry I haven't updated this thread in a while, but here's a few tips.

1.Building the cable correctly.

-Make sure that you are not looking at the mirror image of the Serial pinout. I.E. use the "Female" pinout for soldering your connector.

-Use the correct capacitor. There are different ways to label component strength like the decimal system. If you can't find a 3300pF (Pico-Farad) capacitor, a 0.0033uF (Micro-Farad) will work. Any voltage over 12v will work.

2.DLC2 Connections (Under the dash)

-Make sure that DB9 FEMALE pin #5 goes to E1, and the wire tapped off goes to TE2. This makes the diagnostic mode ready.

-DB9 FEMALE pin #6 goes to the VF1 or ENG pin. This is the data stream pin.

3.Program settings.

-Make sure you have the correct air metering device and other applicable options selected.

(MAF, or MAP),under the "MORE"-->"PROGRAM SETTINGS".

-Make sure to test the cable signal inversion.

Program running-->Toyota CAR Key to "ON"-->"MORE"-->"CHECK THE CABLE ON THE INVERSION".

If you have a 1 flash, run it inverted under "PROGRAM SETTINGS". If you don't have a 1, normal.

4.Initial Run.

-Once you have built the cable correctly, and defined the correct settings, run the program by selecting "READ".

-Start the car, give it 10 seconds.

-HAPPY DATALOGGING!!!

In my case with the crap gas I get, I found that my initial timing was 10-11 degrees at idle. I would knock under certain conditions.

I retarded the timing down to 7*, and it runs like a champ with NO knock!

Any other questions, feel free to chime in!
Old 04-25-13, 07:25 AM
spoolxexo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Clean400
Just wanted to bump up this amazing thread. Going to be doing this soon. Going to use an old laptop that I haven't used in years to run it.
That's fantastic!

If you still have the FIC/8, which doesn't give you the base numbers but rather a range to adjust over OEM values, you can now utilize the timing function on your AEM since you now have the OEM ECU reporting in real time!

EX.
"Oops, getting a little knock at 5250RPM"

*Takes one degree timing out at 5250 at WOT via AEM FIC/ MAP ECU2/GReddy E-manage*

"YAAAYYYY, no more knocking at 5250, turn the boost up"!
Old 04-25-13, 08:37 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

great instructions, I think that should clear it up for most on how to build one, I'm getting a capacitor and getting on top of this been trying to figure out how well my tps and everything is working.
Old 04-25-13, 09:00 AM
spoolxexo
Lexus Test Driver

Thank you sir.

GTE ECU + DATALOGGER = OEM 2jz awesomeness!

Blind Tuning with SAFC's BEWARE!!!
Old 04-25-13, 11:21 AM
Tam4511
Driver

Sorry I haven't updated this thread in a while, but here's a few tips.
Thanks for the update! I had given up but im going to try it again.

anyone have any idea where we could get a male obd1 plug? that would make this setup complete, or what do you guys use to put in the pins that will stay?

Last edited by Tam4511; 04-25-13 at 11:25 AM.
Old 04-25-13, 11:39 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

that would be neat if there was one but I am going to guess it will be hard to find.
the mcguiver way is to strip alot of the wire on the end, double the stripped part back on itself to make it thicker, insert into female pin snugly, and wrap whole connector with electrical tape so they can't ever move/back out. Its not the most scientific way to do it but its not like we use that connector for anything else.

Quick Reply: Free Toyota Pre-OBD Datalogger Found!!