Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1jz big twin turbo

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-12, 02:26 AM
chris1jz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1jz big twin turbo

Had anyone done a 1jz with big twins or even medium? I was thinking bout doing it cause it seems like no one does it and its different.

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 11-04-12, 08:16 AM
Candela
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

perhaps no one has done it cause the 1j is not a torquey motor like the 2j (.5 difference in displacement).

Making it spool 2 big turbos would have major lag let alone 1 large turbo.

It would be different yes, efficient? I doubt.
Old 11-04-12, 08:22 AM
Holtspeed
Driver

Would like to see this, one of my next builds I wanna do is a mk3 with upgraded or big twins (1jz)... What are your power goals, how do you plan to use it?....

I may have be mistaken but I thought I saw someone using 2j twins on there 1j before and if that's the case an upgraded version of those I would imagine wuold be best for street use and still be able to hit the 500whp mark.
Old 11-04-12, 08:33 AM
Str8Six
Driver School Candidate

Why not go single again?
Old 11-04-12, 08:33 AM
Holtspeed
Driver

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...-GT28R-s/page6. Quick search. Scroll down, guy talks about bigger twins on his 1jz
Old 11-04-12, 03:29 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I say it depends on what other modifications you have done. Like fuel pump (s), FPR, injector size, stock fuel rail, size of feed and return lines, cams, standalone, or piggyback. I think it can be done but with the help of other modifications. Just my thoughts.. Keep us posted, cause it really hasn't been done a lot on here that I have seen.
Old 11-04-12, 04:00 PM
robtackett
Driver School Candidate

I got a single on my 1jz. Well that is because that what it came with lol. I would really like to get the Tomei arms kit for mine eventually but I still don't think thats a "big" turbo oh well. Go ahead and hang a big one off the side and let us know how it goes. I always strive to be different and if I had the money I would do it. good luck either way
Old 11-04-12, 05:37 PM
MooJohn
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Twins just mean more plumbing. Pick a single that will make the power you want and use it. Response will be exactly the same but the cost of twins will be almost double.
Old 11-05-12, 02:47 AM
chris1jz
Driver School Candidate

My goals with the 1jz is around 5 or 6. Than I want to build a 1.5j and go real big. I know a place I forgot the name but they have a twin turbo manifold for the 2jz. I was thinking bout getting that and modding it a little to fit than grab a pair of 3076r turbos and beating on them for awhile. Its just the money prob cause I'm not rich so it sounds awesome but might not happen I don't know.

Old 11-05-12, 11:28 AM
Jostar
Driver

Just go single turbo, I run a GT4276 on a stock bottom end TRUE 1jz, my head is fully built though, I run an AEM v1 self tuned as well.. I made 481 hp at 19.25psi on pump gas, Yeah the number seems low cause I street tuned the car, I dyno the car at CHI2K12, when the weather gets better I will run the corn juice & crank boost around the 25psi mark & see if I can make the 700+ I am looking for.. people that have taken a ride on the car always give me the look of.. What turbo you run?? lol.. It spools pretty good... This set up is not for everyone, BTW I run a GETRAG as well.. this is in a MKIII..
Old 11-05-12, 02:37 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Jostar, thats bullcrap, on what you have cause you dont have pictures..lol I am just messing with you.. I actually overbuilt my car with the intercooler piping, turbo, injectors, and so on. Just room to grow.. My fuel pump is what is limited me right now, at least thats what the tuner told me. I wasnt there to see first hand. I have a BW S366, and I love it when it spools. I made 522 at 21 psi on 93 pump gas. It was indeed over 100 degrees in the shop. I would be safe to say prolly 550rwhp now thats its cooler. I only run it around 16psi all the time and 467rwhp, is plenty to move aorund on...

Good luck on your decision, but in the end, I say just go single, less complications, modifications, fitments, tuning, and so on. On the other hand, I say do what your heart tells you to do. If you are leaning toward the twin setup, then go for it, and post several pictures along the way....
Old 11-05-12, 04:53 PM
Jostar
Driver

Originally Posted by 1JZPWRD
Jostar, thats bullcrap, on what you have cause you dont have pictures..lol I am just messing with you.. I actually overbuilt my car with the intercooler piping, turbo, injectors, and so on. Just room to grow.. My fuel pump is what is limited me right now, at least thats what the tuner told me. I wasnt there to see first hand. I have a BW S366, and I love it when it spools. I made 522 at 21 psi on 93 pump gas. It was indeed over 100 degrees in the shop. I would be safe to say prolly 550rwhp now thats its cooler. I only run it around 16psi all the time and 467rwhp, is plenty to move aorund on...

Good luck on your decision, but in the end, I say just go single, less complications, modifications, fitments, tuning, and so on. On the other hand, I say do what your heart tells you to do. If you are leaning toward the twin setup, then go for it, and post several pictures along the way....
Snap!!! lol... Hey can you share your cal file?? I just want to see your timing at peak & ramping you did till redline..
Old 11-05-12, 07:45 PM
scmaluco
Driver

Originally Posted by chris1jz
Had anyone done a 1jz with big twins or even medium? I was thinking bout doing it cause it seems like no one does it and its different.

my plan was to run a kkk k26 twin turbos.. had everything ready. but i sold it about 2 months ago... too much piping and it wasn't worth it... so i had to buy everthing again for my big single

getting ready to pull my twins off. i will be posting pics once i have time to start on it.. i just need to buy my oil lines..
Old 11-05-12, 09:55 PM
2jpowa
Driver

There's a blitz twin turbo kit for sale on supra forums right now in 1j section
Old 11-08-12, 01:27 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

I'm curious about this myself regarding upgraded C12A's on a 1JZ twin setup. I've read about upgraded USDM twin CT12B's that Stu Hagen designed (info on SF) and those are supposed to go reliably to 600-650hp. Internally the upgrade for those uses HKS turbines, I think. I'd really like to see if the 1JZ twins can be upgraded to better flowing steel blades.

The guys at BNR Supercars in AL apparently rebuild CT12/20/26 turbos.

That's all I've found so far.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 11-08-12 at 01:35 PM.

Quick Reply: 1jz big twin turbo