Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

? about modded knuckles and daily driving?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-12, 12:20 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ? about modded knuckles and daily driving?

Ok so I do not drift but I hate the lazy steering on the SC how would this mod effect daily driving and alignment?
Would it give a quicker ratio?
Old 11-01-12, 03:54 PM
spoolxexo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It's not a quicker ratio , it allows an extension of the steering arc before it goes to lock.

You can turn more, basically without bottoming out the stops.

The gears inside the steering rack are responsible for the quickness of the steering.

Have you ever drifted a solid axle v8 car? Ever wish you could get a deeper angle before spinning out?

That's what this does, disregards most of the rear suspension articulation by getting the fronts a wider steering range to compensate motion control.
Old 11-01-12, 04:30 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Ahh now I understand how and why one would want to do this but how does it effect alignment and the rest of the geometry of the suspension?
It's a fairly easy mod as I have a good friend who is god's gift to welding and fabrication so I am wondering if I should go for it?
Old 11-01-12, 05:03 PM
spoolxexo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It doesn't change anything, modding the knuckles just removes the steering "Governer" basically.

Yeah, I would. Especially if you can get your gifted friend to hook it up.
Old 11-01-12, 06:33 PM
rcchris7
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm thinking about grabbing the set of modded pbm knuckles on here just so I can squeeze my car into tight areas in the garage haha
Old 11-01-12, 07:27 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spoolxexo
It doesn't change anything, modding the knuckles just removes the steering "Governer" basically.

Yeah, I would. Especially if you can get your gifted friend to hook it up.
Ok that's what I will do then because the radius stinks on these cars That's what I thought they did but was unsure so thanks for clearing that up for me
Old 11-01-12, 09:27 PM
maynanator
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

if you wanted quicker steering you could try to fit in a steering quickener, though that require taking apart the interior and modding the steering column. like this one...

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Howe-B...ine,24447.html
Old 11-01-12, 09:57 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Hmm now that's interesting I will have to look in to how do able this is?
Old 11-02-12, 07:01 AM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by maynanator
if you wanted quicker steering you could try to fit in a steering quickener, though that require taking apart the interior and modding the steering column. like this one...

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Howe-B...ine,24447.html
One of our road racing Mustang Cobra's has one. Combined with power steering, it's a flawless mod that works very well. Be warned. It does tax the PS pump. Currently waiting to replace my PS pump after just 2 seasons of racing abuse
Old 11-02-12, 10:25 AM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

I am thinking very seriously about this as I am used to my evo which is like a go cart and the sc is real bad as was my supra which is about my only hangup about this chassis.
Old 11-02-12, 11:54 AM
maynanator
Lead Lap

i would say if your going to do it put it on the upward side of the p/s pump. It will weigh down the steering, but will be worth it for the extra feel. It's very do able but requires that you disassemble the interior and remove the steering column, then cut out a section to weld in the new "transfer case". one more note... make sure you find a good/solid mounting point for the steering quickener. I know it sounds like a lot, but it's about the same amount of effort to modify the knuckles. Good luck. Also if you decide to do it PWETTY PLEASE right a very detailed DIY and let us know what you think

P.S. If I remember correctly somebody built a drift sc300 and did this mod to it, if you search you might find it. that would probably be really helpful.
Old 11-02-12, 12:22 PM
maynanator
Lead Lap

found this

http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2530083
Old 11-04-12, 12:03 PM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Doesn't help steering feel. If anything, it introduces some slop as the gears wear. It's not a substitute for a proper steering rack but far cheaper to replace and much easier than trying to retrofit another rack. Always wondered if any of the other Toyota racks had a quicker ratio and would bolt up....
Old 11-04-12, 12:37 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when was the last time you had the car on an alignment rack? I suspect either low caster numbers or too much positive camber could cause your "lazy" feeling you are describing. Do you have any current suspension mods to the car?
Old 11-04-12, 01:40 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by StiCk3
when was the last time you had the car on an alignment rack? I suspect either low caster numbers or too much positive camber could cause your "lazy" feeling you are describing. Do you have any current suspension mods to the car?
I just had it aligned via the lance W settings however I am used to an evo so just about everything pales when compared to how that car responds to steering input

Quick Reply: ? about modded knuckles and daily driving?