Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Installed turbo intake now compressor surge?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-12, 07:07 PM
sj408
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Installed turbo intake now compressor surge?

hey guys, just installed a 45 degree elbow on my turbo with a massive filter and now after every time the bov releases it sounds like a pigeon fluttering because the bov is resting on the filter.the sound is magnified,

Im wondering if this sound im hearing is the bad compressor surge ive heard off, not sure why it would start from installing an air filter but this is my first turbo car so why not ask to be safe.
Old 10-31-12, 07:29 PM
Candela
Lead Lap

The bov near the filter has nothing to do with it.

The larger intake pipe/filter amplifies the normal small amount of surge that occurs during normal driving. Hardpipe intercooler kits amplify this sound as well.

If you let off the gas at WOT, and it still surges, well then you should check the vacuum line to the BOV.
Old 10-31-12, 07:36 PM
sj408
Instructor

Originally Posted by Candela
The bov near the filter has nothing to do with it.

The larger intake pipe/filter amplifies the normal small amount of surge that occurs during normal driving. Hardpipe intercooler kits amplify this sound as well.

If you let off the gas at WOT, and it still surges, well then you should check the vacuum line to the BOV.
havent gone WOT with it happening as it had me a bit worried, so this is normal?? it happens every time the BOV goes off no matter what speed i am unless completely out of boost
Old 10-31-12, 09:49 PM
Candela
Lead Lap

Keep in the mind BOV's have inner springs or diaphragms that are set to fully open at a certain PSI, which is normally a higher PSI --- one that could be dangerous to the turbo.

During normal driving tho, the PSI's created are not harmful. The only BOV I can recall that opens slightly even during normal driving PSI's is the Tial 50mm.
Old 11-01-12, 10:34 AM
sj408
Instructor

Originally Posted by Candela
Keep in the mind BOV's have inner springs or diaphragms that are set to fully open at a certain PSI, which is normally a higher PSI --- one that could be dangerous to the turbo.

During normal driving tho, the PSI's created are not harmful. The only BOV I can recall that opens slightly even during normal driving PSI's is the Tial 50mm.
I have an hks ssqv and it opens even at the smallest amount of boost (1-3) psi it still opens upon throttle release

So is this noise im hearing safe?? it pretty much drowns out the sound of the bov itself now. Im kinda worried and appreciate if anyone else could chime in too.

It sounds like i have a pigeon call BOV.... i dont have any weird noises on acceleration or cruising just when the BOV releases. is it safe?
Old 11-01-12, 11:03 AM
Candela
Lead Lap

I had an SSQV 2nd gen on my sr20 s13 and it made a similar noise, however after WOT it would make its signature whistle. Have you tried going WOT? One pull shouldnt destroy your turbo.
Old 11-01-12, 11:43 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

yeah the larger air filter intakes let you hear everything the turbo is doing.
chances are you always had that some compressor surge, now its loud enough to hear.

the ssqv is not supposed to have any compressor surge, try using a smaller vac line on a dedicated port.
also you may want to change up the location you have it installed if nothing else works.
the tials will do it if not adjusted/shimmed properly. Mine has no surge and is closed at idle.
Old 11-01-12, 01:48 PM
sj408
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
yeah the larger air filter intakes let you hear everything the turbo is doing.
chances are you always had that some compressor surge, now its loud enough to hear.

the ssqv is not supposed to have any compressor surge, try using a smaller vac line on a dedicated port.
also you may want to change up the location you have it installed if nothing else works.
the tials will do it if not adjusted/shimmed properly. Mine has no surge and is closed at idle.
Ill try and find a new vacuum spot on it, also i dont think the vacuum line could really get any smaller. Im already using a tiny one.

Any suggestions? where are you guys tapping in your bov vacuum???
Old 11-01-12, 03:42 PM
spoolxexo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The biggest port you can find. You want to valve to relieve as fast as it can, it needs lots of vacuum pressure to do this.

Everyone has compressor surge. Mostly it's due to improperly sizing the compressor and turbine A/R/'s.

Second in line is a mis-adjusted BOV itself if it has one, and then there is the vacuum source probability.

You also might want to visually check the physical operation of the valves themselves and make sure they aren't seized or anything.
Old 11-01-12, 05:18 PM
sj408
Instructor

Originally Posted by spoolxexo
The biggest port you can find. You want to valve to relieve as fast as it can, it needs lots of vacuum pressure to do this.

Everyone has compressor surge. Mostly it's due to improperly sizing the compressor and turbine A/R/'s.

Second in line is a mis-adjusted BOV itself if it has one, and then there is the vacuum source probability.

You also might want to visually check the physical operation of the valves themselves and make sure they aren't seized or anything.
Well i wasnt aware my bov even had adjustment, its an hks ssqv.

I moved around the vacuum and ended up with it in the first port behind the t/b on the front of the manifold. still makes pigeon noises.

Before i put the 4 inch intake tube and filter i didnt even notice it. Is it gonna kill my turbo pre maturely or what? I was thinking of getting a vacuum block and Ting it into the brake booster line to run my wastegate, boost gauge, and bov

biggest question is it gonna kill my turbo? or worse my engine??

where do you have your bov hooked up?

I think as soon as i switch to FMIC ill go dual BOV setup for extra safety.
Old 11-01-12, 05:21 PM
spoolxexo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I mean, I've run a few Holset HX35's with no BOV at all.

It's not going to blow up, but it's not going to last longer then if it wasn't surging.

Take the valve off, lube it up and make sure it's working, no ripped diaphragms, etc.
Old 11-01-12, 05:44 PM
sj408
Instructor

Originally Posted by spoolxexo
I mean, I've run a few Holset HX35's with no BOV at all.

It's not going to blow up, but it's not going to last longer then if it wasn't surging.

Take the valve off, lube it up and make sure it's working, no ripped diaphragms, etc.
interesting, holset those are like the big diesel truck turbos? like on semi trucks? i prolly have more than a dozen of those lying around i oughta check sizing.

Well im not expecting it to last incredible long as it is an xs power turbo, but so far the first 1k its still solid and spins as freely as the first day.

I can clearly hear the bov opening but ill definetely lube it up, what do you reccomend? white lithium grease? or??

do i have to take the bov apart to lube it up? any links with info so i know im not ****ing my 250$ bov up
Old 11-01-12, 08:27 PM
Candela
Lead Lap

Holset turbos are reliable and make big power

They have ported inlet on the compressor shroud to reduce surge duration.

As mentioned above, BOV location is a possible factor; say if the BOV is closer to the compressor or throttle body it may have different reaction times.
Old 11-02-12, 08:29 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

you don't have to open up a ssqv there is no adjustment. in fact these are designed to open at hardly any boost to prevent whats happening. a little surge will not destroy your turbo suddenly, at under 8 psi you can surge for many years, but it will reduce the life of the compressor compared to no surge at all.
your problem is either you are using the wrong port, too large (diameter) of a vacuum line, or your BOV itself is in a not so great location, or you have a faulty bov (least likely if its new).

for example I have seen if you place your BOV after a sharp bend you can sometimes pick up some surge, I like to have the air going straight right before the BOV.
Another example is too large diameter wise of a vac line, will not react to the pressure as quick as a smaller one, meaning it will open a bit delayed and cause flutter. you dont want the worlds tiniest line but something close to the stock vac line size is what you want. length is not really as much of a concern with the proper size line, but if you have a big line and its really long, you better make sure its getting really good vac from a big port on the intake or it will react slowly.

maybe take a picture of where you are running your line from as there are so many ports around that area and where your BOV is. I like to put mine right after the intercooler on the cold side, or right up next to the throttle body.
Old 11-02-12, 11:16 AM
sj408
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
you don't have to open up a ssqv there is no adjustment. in fact these are designed to open at hardly any boost to prevent whats happening. a little surge will not destroy your turbo suddenly, at under 8 psi you can surge for many years, but it will reduce the life of the compressor compared to no surge at all.
your problem is either you are using the wrong port, too large (diameter) of a vacuum line, or your BOV itself is in a not so great location, or you have a faulty bov (least likely if its new).

for example I have seen if you place your BOV after a sharp bend you can sometimes pick up some surge, I like to have the air going straight right before the BOV.
Another example is too large diameter wise of a vac line, will not react to the pressure as quick as a smaller one, meaning it will open a bit delayed and cause flutter. you dont want the worlds tiniest line but something close to the stock vac line size is what you want. length is not really as much of a concern with the proper size line, but if you have a big line and its really long, you better make sure its getting really good vac from a big port on the intake or it will react slowly.

maybe take a picture of where you are running your line from as there are so many ports around that area and where your BOV is. I like to put mine right after the intercooler on the cold side, or right up next to the throttle body.
Well i moved it to the first port on the manifold right behind the T/B and still pretty much the same, The flutter wasnt even noticeable till i put the intake on, so i guess ill just live with it.
Right now my BOV is place halfway between my T/b and my intercooler.
I have an extra hks knock off bov lying around, should i maybe try and place one between the intercooler and turbo to help??

its just kinda scary cause i dont wanna blow anything up, blowing up a cheap xs power turbo is liveable but blowing up my engine is a no no. Do i run risk of blowing anything else besides the turbo?

It musta been super minimal cause before putting on the intake there was absolutely no sound besides the nice regular hks sound

Last edited by sj408; 11-02-12 at 11:33 AM.

Quick Reply: Installed turbo intake now compressor surge?