Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.
View Poll Results: HKS FCD or Apex'i SAFC 2?
HKS FCD
33.33%
Apex'i SAFC 2
66.67%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Winter is coming...FCD or SAFC?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-12, 07:58 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter is coming...FCD or SAFC?

Well, winter is finally on it's way and i have one of two options in front of me. I'm happy with what i've accomplished as far as power this year, but im looking for just a tad bit more before having to ditch the aging W58 tranny for something a little stronger. Fuel cut is the wall that sits in front of me and more power. With that, I have two options in front of me

1)a co-worker has an HKS FCD that he's offering me for dirt cheap. I know that the FCD can get me past the current fuel cut barrier of 14ish psi and get me the power i want. Only thing im not sure of is how A/Fs will hold up beyond that point so im shooting for about 15 psi.

2) I have an SAFC 2 i got off a co-worker a while back that's been sitting in my toolbox for a while now. I know the FCD can't be used with the SAFC because SAFC manipulates MAP voltages while the FCD simply clamps voltage before fuel cut. Also I know i would need to get an A/F meter in order to properly tune it, but that's not a huge deal.

Overall would be satisfied with 350 hp in its current format (still on the stock twins BTW). I've looked into both options the FCD looks to be a simple solution but limited by itself without some supporting mods. The SAFC 2 offers potentially more in the long term before going standalone, but looks like it costs more and affects ignition timing the more it's adjusted. Between the two which would choose and why? Any personal experience with either or both? LMK i got all winter to decide!
Old 11-02-12, 02:17 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

some votes, but no input?
Old 11-02-12, 05:40 PM
Clean400
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not super knowledgeable when it comes to turbos but it seems both are just stepping stone solutions to a stand alone. I keep reading on these forums that the toyota ECU's love to relearn with the SAFC... so I would steer clear of it. As for the HKS FCD it seems like I would choose that between the two but then you have no way of controlling A/F ratios, does the stock ECU do a good job of keeping the A/F ratios in check under high boost?

Personally I would just sell your SAFC2, not buy the HKS FCD... and just go stand alone like a Megasquirt 3x. But if I had to choose between the two I'd get the HKS FCD.
Old 11-02-12, 08:25 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Clean400
I'm not super knowledgeable when it comes to turbos but it seems both are just stepping stone solutions to a stand alone. I keep reading on these forums that the toyota ECU's love to relearn with the SAFC... so I would steer clear of it. As for the HKS FCD it seems like I would choose that between the two but then you have no way of controlling A/F ratios, does the stock ECU do a good job of keeping the A/F ratios in check under high boost?

Personally I would just sell your SAFC2, not buy the HKS FCD... and just go stand alone like a Megasquirt 3x. But if I had to choose between the two I'd get the HKS FCD.
I've been reading a bit, and yea i agree that a standalone would be the best solution for the long term...if i had the dough later in life i will, but for now this is the best deal i have in front of me at the moment. $50 for an FCD or use the SAFC i got for basically free.
Old 11-02-12, 11:05 PM
Lokz
Driver

Go for FCD, just wait and purchase a better Piggy back or standalone in future. You could also go SAFC and just go for a tune and see what numbers you are able to achieve under 14 psi, it could be close to the numbers you are looking for depending on supporting modds.
Cheers!
Old 11-03-12, 01:16 AM
Clean400
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by StiCk3
I've been reading a bit, and yea i agree that a standalone would be the best solution for the long term...if i had the dough later in life i will, but for now this is the best deal i have in front of me at the moment. $50 for an FCD or use the SAFC i got for basically free.
FCD then.if you sell your safc it will more than pay for your FCD purchase.
Old 11-03-12, 06:42 PM
scmaluco
Driver

just save your $50 and install the safc . you can crank it to 13-14 and tune with the safc2.

i'm getting ready to install my single turbo kit with the apexi safc ... i plan on running 15 psi..