Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.
View Poll Results: which way schould i go?
gm ar5-stick shift
12.50%
bosstlogic built factory auto
50.00%
other: post in thread
37.50%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

choices, choices, choices...which transmission should i go with?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-12, 12:01 PM
maynanator
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default choices, choices, choices...which transmission should i go with?

1st:
send my factory auto to be built by Boostlogic. it would be about $2500 by the time i get a new torque converter. the big bonus of this is fewer headaches.

2nd:
swap in a gm ar5 (colorado transmission). for the most part this shouldn't be too hard to do. it'll swap in using an r154 kit. most of the installation issues with this are the same as your typical manual swap. the big bonus with this is a transmission that shift as smooth as a honda tranny thats a dime a dozen.

my question is what would you do?
Old 10-27-12, 12:44 PM
spoolxexo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well since money is a factor, let me make a suggestion.

Shifting gears is for your ego, end of the story. If this is you, then by all means read till your eyes bleed about all the nice expensive manual conversions, since everyone realized they're getting popular and implementing the "Drift Tax".

Get a JDM GTE A341 with the extra clutch pack.

People give these things away for a couple hundo, cause they aren't "cool".

They will hold 500whp all day, and a few guys have hit 700whp holding capability with just a good oil cooler and a shimming of the accumulators.

Auto's are faster, so do you want to spend a bunch of money to feed your shift fixation, or spend a little and make enough power to beat sport bikes?

Besides, I like holding my girl's hand instead of shifting.
Old 10-27-12, 01:03 PM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by spoolxexo
Well since money is a factor, let me make a suggestion.

Shifting gears is for your ego, end of the story. If this is you, then by all means read till your eyes bleed about all the nice expensive manual conversions, since everyone realized they're getting popular and implementing the "Drift Tax".

Get a JDM GTE A341 with the extra clutch pack.

People give these things away for a couple hundo, cause they aren't "cool".

They will hold 500whp all day, and a few guys have hit 700whp holding capability with just a good oil cooler and a shimming of the accumulators.

Auto's are faster, so do you want to spend a bunch of money to feed your shift fixation, or spend a little and make enough power to beat sport bikes?

Besides, I like holding my girl's hand instead of shifting.
I approve this message LoL

Last edited by YeA 2jZ; 10-27-12 at 01:08 PM.
Old 10-27-12, 01:42 PM
maynanator
Lead Lap

if your talking about a 2jzgte transmission, i'll pass, it would require a s***ton of work to make work especially with a 1uz. not only would i need a custom made torque converter, i would need a tt ecu, i would need a drive shaft, and would end up doing some work to it anyways, so by that point im saving maybe $500 yet putting in even more work than a manual swap. not to bash, but i've thought about it and it just isn't worth it imo.
Old 10-27-12, 07:50 PM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

I agree with spool on this one on auto trannys, as far as manual is for the ego, I would have to disagree here.
You are more engaged with the car and have more control as far as going in to the turns and coming out of the corners. I'd have to say it is more fun to drive a manual if you're a car enthusiast guy and enjoy banging gears.
I have an auto sc400 myself and it crossed my mind multiple times to do a manual swap on it, but there is no way I'm going to pull my 5speed 650e tranny and butcher this ride.
I set my mind on getting another sc300/400 just so I can beat on it and make it a 5speed or even cd009 6sp for the fun of it like I did on my 90mkIII back in the day.

Last edited by LEXXIUM; 10-27-12 at 07:55 PM.
Old 10-27-12, 08:46 PM
maynanator
Lead Lap

i think i might want to add this in, i do care about speed but thats not my reasoning, i want something that first of all can hadnle the power. from there the toss up is whether to do the extra work to be able to enjoy my car more, or go the easy and relatively head-ache free route of getting a rebuilt auto and just bolting it up. so my question is: fun or easy?
Old 10-27-12, 09:33 PM
scviolence
Lexus Champion

I had my stock auto rebuilt here in orlando and they threw a shift kit in and buncha other crap.... dynod it and it handled 400ft lbs of torque easily.... if u want to feel more in power get the the manual swap i lovey auto though...good luck either way u go buddy
Old 10-28-12, 04:32 AM
Clean400
Lead Lap

I would take an ATF transmission over Boostlogic. ATF makes a billet 2nd gear sprag which is the weakest link in the A340e transmission.

http://www.atfspeed.com/store/index....alt2o0h10fkan3

If it was me though I would do the following. It's the cheapest way to have a built auto, and the path I'm currently going.,

Stage 1 (340whp possibly more depending on use)
Torque Converter (Lextreme $229)
Transgo Shift Kit $100
4th Solenoid ECU mod (free)
Tranny Cooler $80

$500 + shipping + install cost

Stage 2 (340whp but fully rebuilt besides 2nd gear sprag. Some people could push more but 2nd gear sprag could eventually blow. I would just run Stage 1 until' transmission blows but that's just me lol.)
All of the above plus+
Red Alto High Performance Rebuild Kit (Full A340E Rebuild kit $400)

$400 + shipping + install cost

Stage 3 (500whp-900whp... now you've eliminated the weak point in the transmission have fun. Lextreme Torque Converter good for 600bhp. Use other torque converter if going for more power)
ATF 2nd Gear Sprag ($825)
http://www.atfspeed.com/store/index....alt2o0h10fkan3

$825 + shipping + install cost

Roughly $1700+ shipping + installation.
Unless you are going to be pushing over 340whp, you don't need the 2nd gear sprag.

And if you want to jazz it up you can throw in a Suprastick auto ecu controller for $375, buy a GS400 steering wheel or IS250 steering wheel with paddles to shfit it.

If you want the cadillac of auto controllers apparently this one is great. TCM-2000. $750.
http://www.powertraincontrolsolution...anscontrol.php

Don't forget Clutch LSD or Torsen while your at it. If you're doing high HP might as well put a fan on the transmission cooler.

Also the SC400 transmission is very strong. No need to grab the Supra TT tranny... the SC400 one is just as strong.

Last edited by Clean400; 10-28-12 at 04:58 AM.
Old 10-28-12, 09:04 AM
maynanator
Lead Lap

thanks clean400, i am aware of atf, i was just throwing out boostlogic due to the fact that they seem to have a lot of autos on the road. one idea i read about was a boostlogic transmission with an atf sprag installed. i think this would be the best of both worlds.

also thanks for giving me a number on the stock auto. i just wanted to know how much it could handle. from the sounds of it i should be good for a while with the stock one.
Old 10-28-12, 10:04 AM
93MSB
Instructor

Received 152 Likes on 100 Posts

find yourself a genuine soarer auto trans. It has the extra clutch packs like the gte trans but is still a manual valve body. they usually sell for $200-300. All you should have to do is find a sc300 driveshaft, and the main plug on the trans may be different but wouldn't be hard to swap

you can send your factory stall to a converter shop to have it re-stalled

edit: I just noticed your in Texas, where at exactly? Im in Waco and i still have my soarer auto(~80k miles) sitting in the garage, ive already shimmed the accumulators and it has a deeper pan. pm me if your interested

Last edited by 93MSB; 10-28-12 at 10:10 AM.
Old 10-28-12, 11:59 AM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Atf built auto hands down, Nothing else out there compares with it and yes I 100% agree shifting gears is food for the ego.
Old 10-28-12, 03:00 PM
maynanator
Lead Lap

ok so i just checked and it looks like atf has adopted a billet forward piston similar to Boostlogic. looks like i'll be sending my auto to them when it eventually blows. well guys i think it's pretty much unanimous. auto it is. thanks for the input.
Old 10-29-12, 01:45 PM
SCary400
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All depends on what you use the car for...

Want consistent drag times: Auto

Autocross/road race/track days: Manual

Want to select the gear you need at the moment you need it: Manual

Want to wait for each gear on a 5 to 3 downshift: Auto

Want easy, don't have to think driving: Auto

Want most of the power your engine is making to get to the wheels: Manual

I've experienced both built autos and triple plate manuals behind some very powerful cars and I'd say it really just comes down to preferences and purpose. I've drag raced manuals and track day-ed automatics. I wouldn't recommend either.

Autos aren't faster, they're just more consistent. When it comes to piloting a well built performance car the driver is the weak link. They are used in most drag applications because when tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars are on the line, you don't want to take the chance of a driver missing a shift and the team going home empty handed.

Prices are going to be the same all said and done. Built auto + Controller + Converter compared to Manual + Adapter + Clutch will be about equal.

The "Shifting gears is for your ego" comment is just small minded, the opposite being "Autos are for old men that can't work a clutch anymore."

All that said, if you are going automatic you can't go wrong with ATF, they build very good transmissions.
Old 10-29-12, 02:01 PM
maynanator
Lead Lap

SCary400, good comment, i think that is about the best comment i've heard so far. thanks for the info.
Old 10-30-12, 01:16 PM
SCary400
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No problem, I am also following your supercharger build closely . Post as much information and pictures as you can to document it for others.

I'm looking forward to your results as I decide if I want to go the supercharger route or turbocharge. Best of luck.

Quick Reply: choices, choices, choices...which transmission should i go with?