Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Sound Proofing?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-12, 03:14 PM
kjhp787078
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sound Proofing?

Hey so I've got some pretty mean road noise in my car and was thinking of getting those sound proofing mats (hushmat, dynamat, etc.) but wasn't sure if it really works. One reason my road noise is so high is because there are holes on either side of the trunk which I plan to cover with...something...(if you could help me there too that'd be greatly appreciated!!!) along with the sound proofing mat. If anybody has some ideas or knowledge or anything really it'd really help!
Btw, you can see the tires from the trunk holes....I though trying to put subs in the corners to cover them up might work...yeah idk I'm new to the car scene so don't pick on me hahaha but yes I did try search..I'm not new to forums.
Thanks!
Old 09-29-12, 03:56 PM
maynanator
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

to your question on whether things like dynamat work, the answer is yes. remember this, with things like dynamat you really are paying for what you get so don't cheap out. the best thing to do would be to cover everything under the back seats/ rear deck. good luck and welcome to Clublexus.
Old 09-29-12, 07:26 PM
kjhp787078
Driver School Candidate

okay thanks!!
Do you have any experience installing it? I'm just not sure if I need to seal it with tape or that sealant they sell as well...don't wanna screw up a couple hundred dollar investment that will take quite a bit of time installing throughout the car lol
Old 09-29-12, 08:35 PM
gambit4000
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kjhp787078
okay thanks!!
Do you have any experience installing it? I'm just not sure if I need to seal it with tape or that sealant they sell as well...don't wanna screw up a couple hundred dollar investment that will take quite a bit of time installing throughout the car lol
You can seal the matting with tape but it is overkill, it mostly works by changing the resonance frequency of the metal and prevents the metal from vibrating(generating sound) at an audible frequency. Its not really to seal out sound passing through an open hole.

If you have rust/cut holes though the metal, they need to be repaired, if you are missing the grommets for the abs wiring, they need to be replaced.

Do you have a picture of the holes?
Old 09-29-12, 10:07 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

That's what I wanted to see was the holes in the back... Dynamat works. You might need the roller for crazy lips and edges and it is pretty easy to install.
Old 09-29-12, 10:29 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

I just finished installing Dynamat Xtreme in my entire cabin... Floorboards, behind rear seats, and a double layer around the tunnel front to back. It took about 48sq. feet of material and I kinda ran out a little bit so I had to use a different sound deadener on the rear section of the floor. That's just to give you an idea how much of it you will need.

I've yet to drive the car, so I can't comment if it works or not.

Installing it is not too bad, it just takes time, and you're gonna be working in alot of awkward and uncomfortable positions, so be ready for that. And also, prepping the surface takes time too... vacuuming all that loose dirt and cleaning it for proper adhesion... it all takes time. Should be worth it in the end though.
Old 09-29-12, 10:56 PM
kjhp787078
Driver School Candidate

Yeah I'm at work right now so guna take some pictures tomorrow when I get some sunlight lol but okay that makes sense.

You've got pictures or anything of when you were installing the mat? Sounds like a lot of work but tell me if it was worth it!! Cuz road noise is killing me...I can tell it's coming from front and back..how much did you spend btw?
Old 09-30-12, 09:47 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by kjhp787078
Yeah I'm at work right now so guna take some pictures tomorrow when I get some sunlight lol but okay that makes sense.

You've got pictures or anything of when you were installing the mat? Sounds like a lot of work but tell me if it was worth it!! Cuz road noise is killing me...I can tell it's coming from front and back..how much did you spend btw?
Yeah I got alot of pictures. I'll be posting them shortly. I'll PM you when they're up.
Old 10-05-12, 08:52 PM
AlphaMotor
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
I just finished installing Dynamat Xtreme in my entire cabin... Floorboards, behind rear seats, and a double layer around the tunnel front to back. It took about 48sq. feet of material and I kinda ran out a little bit so I had to use a different sound deadener on the rear section of the floor. That's just to give you an idea how much of it you will need.

I've yet to drive the car, so I can't comment if it works or not.

Installing it is not too bad, it just takes time, and you're gonna be working in alot of awkward and uncomfortable positions, so be ready for that. And also, prepping the surface takes time too... vacuuming all that loose dirt and cleaning it for proper adhesion... it all takes time. Should be worth it in the end though.
He is absolutely right about Dynamat! I've had it in my previous car and I can't wait to do it on my SC. Good luck with the ride man!
Old 10-07-12, 04:44 PM
kjhp787078
Driver School Candidate

Hey so I got my pictures finally but can't figure out how to upload them. Can check my facebook page cuz they're up there. Just PM me and I'll send you the link or my name or whatever...lol

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 10-07-12, 05:42 PM
SSmith
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Dynamat or second skin, a lot of good mnufactures out there. If you really want to quiet everythingdown though I'd recommend MLV (mass loaded vinyl) on top of either the dynamat or second skin for road noise. I did my car from fire wall to the rear deck lid in second skin and then went over with MLV. Car is as quiet as can be. The MLV made a huge difference.

Shane
Attached Thumbnails Sound Proofing?-mlv1.jpg   Sound Proofing?-ml1.jpg   Sound Proofing?-mlv4.jpg  
Old 10-08-12, 10:50 AM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

If you do Dynamat...ABSOLUTELY invest in the roller or you will want to slit your wrists with the metal.

The biggest thing about doing sound proofing is be patient, make sure you clean the area, and make sure that you use the roller to get into those contours.

I have about 1.5 boxes of dynamat coverage in just my trunk alone