Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

OBX Headers for SC400. Who's going to be the Guinea Pig?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-12, 09:48 AM
Clean400
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default OBX Headers for SC400. Who's going to be the Guinea Pig?

This is a cross post from the GS section.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...400-gs430.html

So there are new headers on the market for our SC400's. They're the cheapest headers available for our cars.

Who's going to be the Guinea Pig???

It seems like they are very similar to PPE headers which to my knowledge aren't exactly bolt on to the SC400 as they are built for the GS400.

The headers are supposed to be compatible with the following models:

1997-2000 GS400
2000-2005 GS430/LS430
1991-2000 SC400
2001-2005 SC430

I have a feeling that it won't exactly be a quick and easy job installing these. Personally I'm looking for a header that I can bolt to my stock cats. I'm sure if I wanted to re-use my stock cats there would have to be some custom piping done.

Anyways who knows? Maybe they'll end up being a good cheap header option for us budget conscious owners. Let us know if you're buying a set and keep us updated! (I would do it myself but my funds are tied up with other projects for my SC's lol).
Old 09-26-12, 12:04 PM
Kyle1uz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hear OBX headers crack when boosted. NA cars wouldn't gain much from headers.
Old 09-26-12, 01:15 PM
Clean400
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kyle1uz
Yeah true you don't gain THAT much from headers.

http://planetsoarer.com/unichip/unichip.htm

On Planet Soarer they did a comparison of a tuned car with a BFI + Headers compared to with just BFI. The headers put down 16 more WHP.

The headers are about $400 shipped so it's about $25 per WHP... not including install lol. Even though it's not a huge WHP difference it makes a difference in the way the car drives. I think the Aussies were using long tube headers though...
Old 09-26-12, 02:24 PM
Kyle1uz
Driver School Candidate

If you sent them off to get a coating they would probably hold up to low boost. Not sure how much a coating would cost though. I'm going m90 so i have been looking for cheap but durable headers, I won't be trying these OBX ones though.
Old 09-26-12, 05:51 PM
Kyle1uz
Driver School Candidate

were they direct bolt on like they claim?
Old 09-26-12, 07:03 PM
Kyle1uz
Driver School Candidate

Did you have someone install them? if so what did it cost if you don't mind me asking.
Old 09-26-12, 10:13 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

they look like the tundra headers.
Old 09-26-12, 10:49 PM
Harbinger
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SCSIN
i bought the from a member 3 years ago here they were already modded
I've used OBX products on other NA vehicles with success & when you turn around and sell them you aren't out a lot of cash. If you're just looking for a little bump in DD performance their products will typically suit you well.

Are you aware of the mods that were made to allow them to bolt up? I need a new exhaust anyway, so since the car has to go up on the rack for them to weld that up, this would be a nice addition as well... but only if it doesn't end up costing as much as the purchase price of the product, because then it negates going this route.
Old 09-27-12, 09:06 AM
Kyle1uz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Harbinger
I've used OBX products on other NA vehicles with success & when you turn around and sell them you aren't out a lot of cash. If you're just looking for a little bump in DD performance their products will typically suit you well.

Are you aware of the mods that were made to allow them to bolt up? I need a new exhaust anyway, so since the car has to go up on the rack for them to weld that up, this would be a nice addition as well... but only if it doesn't end up costing as much as the purchase price of the product, because then it negates going this route.
Have you used or would you recommend using them on a low boost setup?
Old 09-27-12, 09:46 AM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Boost is not the issue its thermal expansion in which the thin walled "stainless" will crack at the weld but since n/a egt is not near that of a high boost turbo set up then you will most likely be fine for a good long time.
Old 09-27-12, 08:02 PM
Harbinger
Lexus Test Driver

Have you used or would you recommend using them on a low boost setup?
Think about it this way - OBX is the equivalent of buying off the rack at stein mart or men's warehouse. Good value for normal every day use & inexpensively replaced. Also a good stand-in if you need/want something right now & don't want to be out of a lot of money when you upgrade later. You will need to tailor it to fit, and have reasonable expectations of the end result.

I have only used them on NA vehicles, and I used other products for FI vehicles.
Old 09-28-12, 09:56 PM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

after being around a lot of fbody's i am going to have to disagree with that generalization...even my mustang reposponded to a nice full exhaust. Well long tubes at least, which is what I would go with(if they are made for the 1uz)
Old 09-30-12, 05:51 PM
Kyle1uz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 2jznosht
after being around a lot of fbody's i am going to have to disagree with that generalization...even my mustang reposponded to a nice full exhaust. Well long tubes at least, which is what I would go with(if they are made for the 1uz)
My Nephew has a 89 foxbody pushing about 550rwhp, he gained almost 100hp from a cam and 40 from headers(with shorties), dyno proven. He has new heads now and replaced the shorties with longtube headers, no dyno yet though. unfortunately 1UZ gets no where close to that, with shorties or long tubes, or at least it hasn't been dyno proven. Damn how i wish i could just put a new cam and and have a 12 second car.(1/8)

Last edited by Kyle1uz; 09-30-12 at 06:31 PM.
Old 10-09-12, 11:34 AM
SCary400
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nearly everyone complains about there not being any parts for our cars, especially V8 headers. Then a company like PPE makes some, and at a damn good price when every other set that has come along has been at or over a grand (keep in mind that reputable headers for hondas run in the $300+ range, and that's for just 4 cylinders/one bank of our engines), and people actually talk about buying a chinese knock-off and wanting to know about their durability!

No company makes parts for our cars without market research. You know what the research is telling them in this thread? That if they make it, we will buy the knock off. Now why in hell would someone go through the expense of R&D to maybe get one group buy done before everyone else just buys the cheap crap?

The only advantage of the OBX is that they are stainless steel. Now the quality of that stainless is unknown, they are just going to discolor the first time they get hot, and they are under the engine never to be seen again so it doesn't matter.

Personally I'd trust PPE coated steel headers over these any day of the week and from what I've seen PPE's customer service will practically spit shine your shoes while they send a replacement if you have a problem with their product.
Old 04-03-13, 02:31 AM
Clean400
Lead Lap

Has anyone tried these yet? Still considering them. Seems like OBX quality has went up. Been reading around on some other forums and it seems that newer OBX headers have been decent and getting gains.

I have a feeling these bolt on perfectly to a GS400 but will require modifications to the SC400.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...eah-right.html

They seem similar to the S&S headers... wouldn't want to buy these and have to pay extra to get my stock exhaust modified.

Last edited by Clean400; 04-03-13 at 02:36 AM.

Quick Reply: OBX Headers for SC400. Who's going to be the Guinea Pig?