Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

OBX Headers for SC400. Who's going to be the Guinea Pig?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-14, 01:59 PM
hmhatch
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

You already got your answer. They don't fit without modding the rest of the exhaust system. That to me is junk. Especially if you are buying a "bolt on" product. My opinion is based on years of experience actually turning a wrench. Not what some clown posted on he Internet.
Old 01-21-14, 02:24 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by babowc
Why waste $400 on a cheap part.
Just use your stock. This part doesn't make a huge difference, no sense in wasting money on a part that you will MORE THAN LIKELY have to replace in the future, because poor craftsmanship.

If you want to waste $400, my paypal is always open.
And another one Headers make a nice difference. if you dont think so then you dont know much. I have already said it looks to be good quality this isnt OBX from 10 years ago since then the company has grown and has put out more parts and still in buisness. They mush be doing something right.

Originally Posted by hmhatch
You already got your answer. They don't fit without modding the rest of the exhaust system. That to me is junk. Especially if you are buying a "bolt on" product. My opinion is based on years of experience actually turning a wrench. Not what some clown posted on he Internet.
Im not looking for your answer since you dont have the part and havent put it on yourself.
And not one person has confirmed anything about fitment in this thread. Stay out of this thread continue to bash elsewhere. I have read the reviews to other OBX headers and on forums and its overall positive even muscle cars for example corvette/ls1 guys been running them with 0 problems. That says alot.

Again looking for someones input who actually has them and put them on themselves for the SC400 only!!!

Last edited by Joey-E; 01-21-14 at 02:31 PM.
Old 01-26-14, 09:20 PM
PseudoK
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea I agree, we have one off quote of a comment from a blog and thats hard evidence? can we get first person opinions? also what about the case of a problem with manufacturing? if OBX claims they bolt up then they could at least answer for it if not.
Old 01-27-14, 08:57 AM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Originally Posted by Joey-E
I have read the reviews to other OBX headers and on forums and its overall positive even muscle cars for example corvette/ls1 guys been running them with 0 problems. That says alot.

Again looking for someones input who actually has them and put them on themselves for the SC400 only!!!
I won't fit the criteria of "SC400 ONLY" but I have had two bad experiences with their products. One was repairable and one was only garbage-worthy at best. I would search a bit more if you think that the majority of us LSx guys run them "with 0 problems."

My first experience: Used to run their 2.5" headers on my LS2.

1. Both flanges were warped when brand new so they leaked well before my first oil change. Don't waste your time with their gaskets either. MLS is ideal but reusing an old stock gasket would probably be an improvement over their gasket.
2. Fitment was far from perfect. With the aide of a few hammers, it was 'massaged' to fit. Never again.
3. The driver side collector cracked from the tubes not being welded properly. No cost effective fix. Could have also originated from my hammer massage. Dumped them after that.

The second experience: Test pipes for my 350Z
1. I had a bizarre rattle from my exhaust after a few track days. Thought it was a loose tip or hanger. Nope. The resonator section of the test pipe had detached from the wall inside. At least the fitment was a little better...

As an advocate of reverse engineering products to promote innovation in an industry, I don't mind a company putting R&D into an existing product to improve it. OBX has not done so. They steal existing designs and find a cheap way to copy them.

Their parts can be made to work. Be prepared to modify their parts or fix them when they break. Driftmotion does this successfully so it is very possible to turn these into decent parts. Just don't expect it out of the box from OBX.

/rant
Old 01-27-14, 06:58 PM
bigwhite
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since you cant pop the hood and see them, I wouldnt spend the money for headers without a super charger. I think the stock exhaust manifolds will prob. support most peoples upgrades. That said if I had a bud that owned an exhaust shop and would fab. the fittment maybe I would, but I dont.
Old 01-27-14, 07:58 PM
iridebmx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

sounds like all that needs to be done is add a different flange(maybe a v-clamp) and a test pipe and these would be nice. so you put another $150-200 into these and you can have a decent set of "headers".. i see nothing wrong with modifying these to work. just like any bodykit you buy thats knockoff. you pay for what you buy. spend a few extra to make them cost effective yet still cheaper then one offs from a fab shop.

orrrr i've been looking into these myself. http://www.ebay.com/itm/S-S-Headers-Tri-Y-Exhaust-Manifolds-Lexus-GS400-GS430-SC400-SC430-LS430-LS400-/251417356240?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a89a467d0

Last edited by iridebmx; 01-27-14 at 08:04 PM.
Old 08-30-14, 06:28 AM
Stretchp2
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You know I appreciate the guy who is advocating for reviews on this obx header system I have a 93sc400 and scower the net weekly for upgrades i can do to my car. I do have a friend with an exhaust shop so when I order these and make it fit I will post as much as I can to put an end to all the nay sayers. We SC guys have to take what we can get. Especially my 1uzfe family. Take that! take that! take that! P diddy out.
Old 08-31-14, 12:32 PM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought the problem with headers on the 1UZ were that they are extremely difficult to install. From what I read you have to lift the engine... I believe someone stated they paid $800 to have the PPE's installed... Add that to the cost of the headers, and a new exhaust.... your looking at around $2500.
Old 09-03-14, 07:20 PM
drftsilvia
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stretchp2, let us know the actual extent of modification from a first person standpoint when you get around to having them installed. I'm in the same boat as you when it comes to reasonable upgrades and I recently discovered that my stock one is crack on the left

So.....if I'm going to replace it might as well put headers in its place right
Old 09-03-14, 08:18 PM
k7q
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Biddles
I thought the problem with headers on the 1UZ were that they are extremely difficult to install. From what I read you have to lift the engine... I believe someone stated they paid $800 to have the PPE's installed... Add that to the cost of the headers, and a new exhaust.... your looking at around $2500.

installing headers isn't extremely hard. just a bit time consuming. I installed mines on jack stands, but my transmission was out also. maybe that made it a bit easier.
Old 09-09-14, 07:12 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Lol this thread still going strong I see, in due time someone who actually has them on the SC4 will comment guys.
Old 02-25-15, 04:11 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

Yea anyone try these and care to comment?
Old 04-13-15, 10:19 AM
sunny416
Driver

come on someone has to have tried them in our 1uz.
Old 04-13-15, 09:01 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

yea seriously is there really no one, they wouldn't sell them otherwise.
Old 05-09-15, 09:17 PM
sunny416
Driver

so i found one guy on facebook who has been using these. i messaged him and currently waiting his input on these.

Quick Reply: OBX Headers for SC400. Who's going to be the Guinea Pig?