Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Power steering completely dead

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-12, 08:51 PM
DJTURCIOS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering completely dead

hello, i just bought a 1992 Lexus SC400 with around 164xxx miles. power steering is completely out, put fluid in, NOTHING. the serpentine belt is working fine. No grinding noise, NOTHING. i have never encountered something like this. This is my first Lexus & i don't know where to start looking for the problem.. any help is much appreciated, thank you.
Old 09-21-12, 08:58 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Does it have a leak? Can you check the ventilation hoses if they're attached? One goes to the front part of the manifold, another one goes to the intake, and both go back to the high pressure hose on the power steering pump side.
Old 09-22-12, 05:29 AM
DJTURCIOS
Driver School Candidate

Not that i can physically see. & if it didn't have any fluid, wouldn't it be making a whining sound? ill try to look more into it as possible. Haven't had a chance since i work almost everyday. thank you for the reply!
Old 09-22-12, 09:09 AM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

If it's whining it's either out of fluid or there's air in the system. To check if there's a leak, move the boot of the inner tie rods so you can see the inside, it is supposed to be all dry in there, if there's fluid, then it is leaking and you need to change the rack and pinion. Another common source of leak is the high pressure hose and the hose that goes from the reservoir to the PS pump.
Old 09-23-12, 07:33 PM
DJTURCIOS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by KingPhilip
If it's whining it's either out of fluid or there's air in the system. To check if there's a leak, move the boot of the inner tie rods so you can see the inside, it is supposed to be all dry in there, if there's fluid, then it is leaking and you need to change the rack and pinion. Another common source of leak is the high pressure hose and the hose that goes from the reservoir to the PS pump.
No leaks whatsoever. i added powersteering fluid since it got really low & started whining. powersteering is alive in a way. steering when from dead to tough but not dead. Ive filled the reservoir 3 times today. Powersteering fluid keeps disappearing. No leaks like i said

Last edited by DJTURCIOS; 09-23-12 at 07:34 PM. Reason: added more information of the issue
Old 09-23-12, 08:20 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

The fluid is going somewhere. It either has to be leaking into the alternator and you cant see it or the rack somewhere. Really only two places it can be. Keep an eye on it, carefully. It might take out your alternator if in fact it is leaking from it.

If indeed you find the leak and it is the pump, follow this thread. Very detailed write up. Works same way...

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/steering/
Old 09-24-12, 12:26 PM
DJTURCIOS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 1992Lexus
The fluid is going somewhere. It either has to be leaking into the alternator and you cant see it or the rack somewhere. Really only two places it can be. Keep an eye on it, carefully. It might take out your alternator if in fact it is leaking from it.

If indeed you find the leak and it is the pump, follow this thread. Very detailed write up. Works same way...

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/steering/
again my resevoir is very low. it has to be a massive leak to be leaking like that... & my engine oil level has risen. WTF?
Old 09-24-12, 01:40 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

It's your vacuum valve.The vacuum valve is a switch on or near the power steering pump. 2 vacuum lines attach to this switch. When the switch itself develops a leak, the power steering fluid gets sucked into the engine. Eventually the leak grows and you will start seeing white smoke, and will recognize the "rich start up" It won't smell to good either. That part should not be to costly either. So were is your power steering fluid going? Into the engine and then into air. If I'm not mistaken the vacuum valve is around $100, or if you don't want to spend that much money get a used one. I'm sure aliga has one or two or fourteen he would be able to locate for you. Sewell Lexus might as well. Both of those CL members are vendors so just search them up in "vendors" Good luck and make sure to post the problem when done!
Old 09-24-12, 04:46 PM
DJTURCIOS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SC400slide
It's your vacuum valve.The vacuum valve is a switch on or near the power steering pump. 2 vacuum lines attach to this switch. When the switch itself develops a leak, the power steering fluid gets sucked into the engine. Eventually the leak grows and you will start seeing white smoke, and will recognize the "rich start up" It won't smell to good either. That part should not be to costly either. So were is your power steering fluid going? Into the engine and then into air. If I'm not mistaken the vacuum valve is around $100, or if you don't want to spend that much money get a used one. I'm sure aliga has one or two or fourteen he would be able to locate for you. Sewell Lexus might as well. Both of those CL members are vendors so just search them up in "vendors" Good luck and make sure to post the problem when done!
HOLY SHII!!!!!!!!!!!! THAT MUST BE IT!!!!!!! I AM DEFINITELY HAVING THE RICH STARTUP!!! white smoke everywhere!!! Powersteering fluid is gone again... Thank you!!!! I'll replace the valve & report asap.
Thanks again!
Old 09-25-12, 10:48 AM
chestman88
Driver School Candidate

I have the same problem, exhaust blowing white smoke on start up, and having to refill power steering fluid every 2 days. Where is the vacuum valve located? I read somewhere you can just plug it up. Only problem is that I don't know where it is. Can someone show me where the vacuum valve is located on the power steering?

thanks you
Old 09-25-12, 12:53 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

The vacuum valve is known I think as the ACV, or air control valve. Not idle air control valve. The valve will be on th ps pump and probably will be black. You will know it when you see it because of the two nipples sticking out of it for the two vacuum hoses. It is attached directly on the ps pump. Good luck!
Old 09-25-12, 01:16 PM
chestman88
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SC400slide
The vacuum valve is known I think as the ACV, or air control valve. Not idle air control valve. The valve will be on th ps pump and probably will be black. You will know it when you see it because of the two nipples sticking out of it for the two vacuum hoses. It is attached directly on the ps pump. Good luck!

I remember reading some where in the forum the only the LS400 have the 2 nipple thing you were refering to and sc don't have it. that is why I am sooo confuse/lose in locating the vacuum valve
Old 09-25-12, 04:02 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

I think the SC does have it. The one CL user that mentioned that had only 1 post, so I don't know if he is the best resource with 4 or 5 other people saying it does.....just my 1 and a half cents. Search the internet for a diagram.
Old 09-25-12, 07:59 PM
DJTURCIOS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by chestman88
I remember reading some where in the forum the only the LS400 have the 2 nipple thing you were refering to and sc don't have it. that is why I am sooo confuse/lose in locating the vacuum valve
Nope. SC400 have it as well. Its located on the Banjo fitting that goes on the powersteering pump. I went to a local salvage yard found one from a 4runner, installed, by by smoke. steering is still tough though...
Old 09-26-12, 09:30 AM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

What do you mean by the statement: "Power steering is still a little rough though"? How is it rough? Did you fill the PS container up afterwards?

Quick Reply: Power steering completely dead