Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

sc300 project help please!!

Old 09-19-12, 07:39 PM
fastjoon92
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sc300 project help please!!

On my 98 sc300 I got the 2jzge and was wondering about this setup I am about todo. Please feel free to critique or question me because I want to be sure I think about this thoroughly before I buy and install any of these things.

Starting off...I would like to purchase the Brian Crower stage 2 cam but am not sure if any other modifications will need to be made to install it. I also would like to put the Tanabe Medallion exhaust on it and delete the resonators. I might possibly consider doing a custom cai but some say its pointless because of the engine heat. I'd purchase also a good header for the car but am not sure of a brand. After all these items are purchased and installed I would like to get the computer retuned but do not know of any good tuning shops in my area so input would be appreciated. My purpose to all this is to CREATE THE GREATEST AMOUNT OF N/A HP THAT I CAN FIRST. I again would greatly appreciate the input!! Thanks everyone!
Old 09-19-12, 08:50 PM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

save for a turbo kit/motor swap...the only thing id go with from your list is the intake because its cheap and will flow more air and wont be too bad if you fab a heat shield. Or search bfi. the resonator delete is a good idea, but swapping the stock mufflers to 700 dollar mufflers is a terrible bang for your buck. between the cams and axle back and header you could use the money to piece together a turbo kit
Old 09-20-12, 07:46 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

As far as the cams, you can use the stage 2 and have a 90%, chance of reusing the stock chims. HP gains near fifty, but to yield this number the rev will prolly need to increase as well. If you go stage 3, the shims, valves, and guides, will need to be changed as well, and definitely a tune. Car might not even start. The Bfi is a great way to gain a few extra horsepower for the money. Research the bfi or search the planetsoarer website. Plenty of ideas and concerns. As for the exhaust, just remove eats, if your state will allow it and keep the stock mufflers. It's cheap, sounds better, and you will be a lot happier.
Old 09-20-12, 02:02 PM
fastjoon92
Driver School Candidate

All great ideas!! Thanks guys...a question about the cam though..I looked around and some say you have to be careful which cam you buy because some fit the one with the distributor and one with the coils. If you can please help me to differ which one is the correct one. Also I am assuming you have to time the engine with the new cam so is there a good information website you guys would recommend to use for retuning your cams? Please excuse my lack of knowledge for I am trying to get up to date on this stuff and really want to learn how to dig deep in tuning a motor. Thanks for your help!!!