Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

5spd swap shifter/trans problem need help

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-12, 07:59 PM
thebadz32
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 5spd swap shifter/trans problem need help

Ok so a few months back i purchased a 1994 5spd sc300 2 weeks later i got tboned and it was totaled. So found a killer deral on a 1992 auto sc300 no big deal buy the wrecked car back from insurance and 5spd swap the new one...

And before the question comes up i did search and came up with this thread wich looks like it reads 92-94 sc300's used the same trans
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...is-thread.html

On for my problem
Well here goes i took the transmission out of the 94 sc300 to put into the 92 and i noticed that the hole that the shifer was bolted into sat a solid 3 inches in front of the hole in the floor pan of the 92. I look in both cars expecting to find a cut floor pan from the orignal 5spd car but no both cars had factory cut holes, So now i start measuring and from what i can see the 1994 5spd cars hole was made 3 inches or so forward vs. the 1992 car that i am 5-spd swaping. I thought these were sapose to be the same what is the deal here.

The 1994 5spd transmission did not have the tri pod but did have the holes where that would fit onto the tail section unlike the mkiii w58. I happened to have the tri pod asembly from a mkiv w58 that i granaded a couple years agao so i tried to put the tri pod on it it bolted rite up but ran into problem number 2. the tripod uses a diffrent shift rod that goes inside of the tail section wich i do not have any more. looks like the hole was drilled in a diffrent location or maybe its a hair longer. from what i gathered the tripod will NOT bolt onto a mkiii w58 so i know that i dont have an mkiii trans mission. And the use the tripod you need that shift rod that does with that set up.

WHAT DO I DO? and why is it that every one says 92-94 uses the same trans mission but the holes in the trans tunnel are so far apart?
Id rather not cut a hole in my floor pan to find that my shifter hits my stero
Old 08-15-12, 08:05 PM
charley240
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Simple,
Auto and manual have different trans tunnels. Look at the auto tunnel, youll see a bump/raised section where it should be cut out for the shifter of the manual to come through
Done
Also, youre better off cutting the hole and using the stock assembly, because the tripod is different and im sure will require mods to the trans
Charley
Old 08-15-12, 08:41 PM
thebadz32
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol i didnt read about this in the 5-spd swap threads damn lol now i feel like i wasted abunch of time and stressed for nothing... so do you say there is a marked place in the tunnel to cut
Old 08-16-12, 12:49 AM
charley240
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, looking from inside the cabin, youll see on the runnel a kinda squarish raised area.
From under the car you can see it as well, of course tranny removed
Chharley
Old 08-17-12, 03:06 PM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

^^^ This is correct !!!