Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SC300 w/ 1JZ-GTE swap, need trans and other ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-12, 11:03 PM
deputy865
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SC300 w/ 1JZ-GTE swap, need trans and other ideas?

Not really finding what I'm looking for... so I decided to post

I'm about to pick myself up 1995 SC300 that has been 1JZ-GTE swapped, single turbo (GT30 Turbo w/ GT40 Internals), TIAL wastegate and a supra pump. It has been set at 12psi (no tune).

First off, is that 12psi alright?

Now, the kicker with this car is that the auto trans is shot. I'll need to have a new one put in. I actually would like to keep it auto because 1. I know a shop that will do it quickly, the right way and at a decent price, 2. Because I don't trust myself or have the time to do a manual swap and 3. Don't really want to spend the money for a manual swap. My budget right now is around $2,000 to $2,500 to get the car back running safely and comfortably... and maybe have some left over for some power goals.

My future power goals would be around 400-500hp. As the car sits right now, I would guess that its around 350~ @ 12psi? Should I just set myself up with an auto TT trans?

The shop doing the work for me is Accelerated Performance in Ohio. From the sounds of it, they can get the old trans out and new one in in about 2 hours~. I figured I might spend $300~ on an Auto TT trans and maybe just as much having it installed? Leaving me a handful of money left over for some go fast stuff!

Now, reasons for keeping the auto trans is because I heard I can have just as much fun if I did a slap shift kit or the supra stick kit? Any other ideas for the trans? Trans cooler and any other things that might be a good idea?

Also, I know I'm sure its been beaten to death, but I'd REALLY like to touch 390hp+. Would a better set of injectors along with a good tune get me to my goal with what has been installed in the car already? Any "must haves" with might be left over from my $2-$2.5k budget after I get the trans taken care of?

Random questions:

Where the F is everyone putting their gauges lol!? I'd like to have myself a wideband, boost and maybe... oil temp/press & trans temp...? Sounds like a lot of gauges, but I really like to monitor everything that is going on inside of my car.

Any good engine management devices out there that I should look into?

Thanks for any and all help. Again, if anything has been talked about 4,000 times, I apologize.. Just call me a moron and link me to specific pages lol.

Shane
Old 07-28-12, 11:33 AM
JDMb16bEG6
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 1jz vvti auto trans came with my swap but I used my w58 off my sc, trans is mint, sell it to ya for 250
Old 07-28-12, 02:11 PM
kez
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...-turbo-sc.html
Old 07-28-12, 04:01 PM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Pick whatever your favorite tuner is most familiar with for engine management. Seriously. Too many people get sucked into a crazy expensive engine management that the tuner is not familiar with and then they end up complaining that standalones are not daily driver friendly. Sometimes a cheap AEM hondabox or Greddy Emanage is BETTER than a ProEFI or Haltech if your tuner has never played with one before.

Originally Posted by deputy865
Where the F is everyone putting their gauges lol!? I'd like to have myself a wideband, boost and maybe... oil temp/press & trans temp...? Sounds like a lot of gauges, but I really like to monitor everything that is going on inside of my car.
A pillar is a great place (the Integra pillar DOES NOT fit as well as people claim.)
Center vent replacement is a pretty decent place if you're creative with lexan.

My personal setup?
Prosport boost, oil temp and fuel pressure on the A pillar converted to blue needles with white backlighting to match my gauge cluster. Missmatched gauges are hidden in the glove compartment because the color scheme doesn't flow very well.
Old 07-28-12, 05:10 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I have an auto tranny sitting collecting dust. If you need one, PM me or post up.

On the gauge pod location, I chose the A-pillar and used the one from Advanced Auto. Had to trim a small portion of it, but looks really good to me.

If money is a concern, I would just buy a piggyback for now. When you have the $$$, then go standalone, AEM or Haltech. You will get many different theories on here about which is best. I would go with the one the closet best tuner is familiar with your area or you are willing to drive to.

You can possible get 350 RWHP or little more if you have upgraded fuel pump, utilize the stock fuel lines, and maybe larger injectors. I dont see why you shouldnt. JMO
Old 07-28-12, 07:29 PM
deputy865
Driver

I was thinking about going with an SAFC-II, I've used them before and they seem very user friendly. Good idea, bad idea?

Big concern right now is getting a transmission setup that will support my future power goals. Anything else I should look into? I'd REALLY like to get the SupraStick kit.
Old 07-29-12, 07:12 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

The SAFC will get you get you by for the time being. With that power goals in mind , not exceeding 400 rwhp, the W58 will be the cheapest with the best reliability. If anything above that, go the R154, V160, 400 auto with a nice torque convertor, or the 350Z tranny. These hold in the excess of 700 all day long. The R154 is getting harder to find alng with the front driveshaft piece, unless oyu have something custom done, but then you run into vibration issues on some. The Suprastick is nice, but dont knwo too much about it, but $$$$. Anything is doable, but id depends on your patience, budget, and available funds. GL
Old 08-26-12, 06:58 PM
deputy865
Driver

Bumping from the grave. Finally got the car to be worked on.

My goal is to try to reach 18psi safely.

Getting an Auto TT trans with SupraStick installed. Anything else needed in the tranny department?

Would like to get myself 550cc injectors and an SAFCII to control it all. Anyone know where I can get my hands on a fuel map or something to help me out? I know most will say that if I have to ask these questions, I shouldn't be doing it.... but I want to learn

Wideband and a bigger fuel pump have already been installed.

Turbo is a GT30 with GT40 internals.
Old 08-26-12, 08:16 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Any pictures of the car of the previous work ????
Old 08-26-12, 08:24 PM
deputy865
Driver

Don't have that many really.. What sort of pictures would you be looking for?

May I PM you? You seem to have been the most helpful..
Old 08-27-12, 04:55 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Wanted to see the car and what work has already been completed. What can i help you with, i might not be able to answer?
Old 08-27-12, 09:48 AM
deputy865
Driver

Just some standard stuff.. I sent you a PM