Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SST's Alternatives?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-12, 03:32 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default SST's Alternatives?

Hey guys, as a lot of y'all already know, my SC have some oil leaks. I'm gonna try and fix it this weekend, and have been reading a lot of old threads that has to do with timing belt change and such, since changing the old cam & crank oil seals require removing the timing belt to get to it. I also have a pdf repair manual that I regularly use when working on my SC as I hate surprises. It says on the manual and even the old thread that to remove the cam and crank pulley bolt I'm gonna need a couple of SST (Special Service Tools) to do it.

These are the OEM SST's that can be bought from https://toyota.spx.com/index.aspx.

For the crankshaft pulley bolt, I need;

09330-00021 ($48.83)

09213-70011-01 ($78.49)

And for the camshaft pulley bolt, I need;

09960-10010 ($452.64)

And as y'all can see, the prices are ridiculous for a $35 problem. I wouldn't mind buying them if only I'm about to do a complete timing belt, water pump, and all that good stuff change, but I'm not. Everything was just recently done. Anyways, I would like to find out some alternatives in doing this. According to LexLS.com, instruction #18 just remove the 22mm bolt for the crankshaft pulley, but it doesn't say anything about how to stop the crankshaft from rotating. And I know from what I know the crankshaft is only allowed to turn clockwise or its doomsday for the engine(?).

From weeks of reading threads and stuff, I found found a few alternatives, but I'm afraid to buy and use them because the salesman can't even tell me if it would work.

To stop the crankshaft from rotating, I can either feed a rope in one of the spark plug holes until its enough to block the piston from compressing... Orrrr, I can buy this, which is very much hard to find and impossible to get since its already Friday and I need to get this done by Monday. From what I read, it's pretty much the same concept as feeding a rope in the spark plug hole, but instead, you screw this in in place of the spark plug #1 and the brass end prevents the piston from getting damaged, while it stops it from compressing and the crankshaft from rotating.

Snap-On tool that comes with the ECK9 kit. YA865

Another thing I read is, I can jam the flywheel with a screwdriver or something, and it would stop the entire crankshaft from rotating too. Can anybody shed some light on this? Pictures would be really great too.

Now, for the camshaft, I saw that Snap-On also have a couple of holding tools they offer that I can use, but like I said, the salesman don't have any idea if it would work on a Lexus since it only say Toyota. The first one is universal, but if any body have successfully used either for a 1UZFE, please let me know.

AS4394

YA9680

But really, if somebody can tell me a "free" way of doing this, please let me know, as I have no idea at all and I don't want to cause any more damage to my engine. Thank you again CL.

Last edited by OG Dada; 07-27-12 at 03:44 PM.
Old 07-27-12, 07:11 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

you dont need any of those special tools.

to loosen the crank pully bolt, use the starter to crack the bolt loose. have a socket wrench wedged to the ground on the driver side, and crank the starter(to be on the safe side pull the fuel pump fuse, so the car does not start)
Old 07-27-12, 07:49 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I also read about doing that. I'm scared to do that though, in the old thread I read, a guy said his battery exploded when he did it this way. And at the end he can't tighten the bolt still 'cause the crank shaft was moving when he hit 90ft/lbs. And the bolt needs to be torqued at 180ft/lbs. Any insight on this?