Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SC400 almost total system failure - please advise.

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-12, 07:03 PM
lexdud
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC400 almost total system failure - please advise.

The car in question is a 1993 SC400 that I just sold. The situation (as I know it) is as such:

The car was being driven down the interstate when the dash/cluster lights went out. Somewhat later the engine started running roughly and the new owner then had to pull off the road as it had stalled. Additionally, the owner reports that the starter no longer turns the motor over but only now clicks. Other symptoms include that while the power door locks work ... the power windows do not.

I have never experienced these type of cascading failures while I owned the car. A few years ago I did have an issue with the motor not starting which I eventually determined to be an issue with the IACV ... because the ECU that controlled said IACV was suffering from the notorious leaking capacitor issue and was not setting it in the correct position to allow the motor to idle. I replaced the bad ECU with a known good unit and everything went back to working normally..

I am extremely heartbroken for the new owner and trying to help as much as I can. From my own limited experience and from reading throughout the forums the only conclusion that I can come up with is that we once again have another bad ECU that is throwing all the electronics and the ignition off.

Please chime in with your own expertise and opinions as to what is causing this. You'll be helping out two members ... not just one.

Thanks all ...
Old 07-26-12, 07:11 PM
msc300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

is your car lowered if so you couldve chewed through wire harness running over driver side wheel check al relays and fuses good luck
Old 07-26-12, 07:12 PM
lexdud
Pole Position

Originally Posted by msc300
is your car lowered if so you couldve chewed through wire harness running over driver side wheel check al relays and fuses good luck

Thanks for the quick response. The answer to your question is no. I should have mentioned that the car is completely stock and has less that 60K miles.

Thanks again ...
Old 07-26-12, 10:22 PM
Maik04
Driver

Maybe a bad ground? I remember reading something someone whos starter module (forgot what it was actually) plastic case which conceals the positive and negation wires broke and.let the.positive touch the frame or something which shorted everything out. Sorry im not specific but it was a while ago.i.read this.
I will try to dig on the.tread.
Old 07-26-12, 10:24 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check the alternator.
Old 07-27-12, 12:11 PM
Dougspeed
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mkorsu
Check the alternator.
^^ this, might have a leaky power steering pump that killed the alternator which is common on all SC400 models.