Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

92' SC400 | Coolant Sensor, Leaking Coolant

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-12, 05:37 PM
Monty87
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92' SC400 | Coolant Sensor, Leaking Coolant

I searched "Coolant and Coolant Sensor", there was only so much I could learn about my situation here. I'm hoping someone could help me out and let me know if I'm going to make the correct repair.

My coolant has been leaking slowly for about a year through the hose near the coolant tank. I put some larger hose and some clamps over it to hold it over until recently I decided to get it repaired. My mechanic replace the entire hose with a Lexus special order part. I'm pointing to it in the first attached picture. Days later, or possibly right away, my car starts getting hot and smelling, I only drive a few miles at a time right now. The coolant on 2 occasions drained/leaked within hours and right now it's back to a slow drain. The mechanic now says the Coolant Sensor has exploded and needs to be replaced, he would special order the part for about $140. A picture of the coolant sensor in attached (i think that's what it is). The mechanic said because of this the coolant tank can't depressurize, or something like that, I can't understand him perfectly... small language barrier.

Up keeping this car is a financial challenge for me. I wanted to a see if you guys in the community agree with his analysis after telling you my story. Also, I'd prefer to get the part off of Ebay if I knew exactly what I'd need to get replaced, if I save money... or even a third party recommendation if you have one.

I still have to drive the car on the highway a few times a week for a few miles each commute. The temperature gauge is slightly above half way on a few occasions. Am I going to hurt something badly?

Thanks for your time!
Monty

Also, I'm wondering if there is a thread or something here that recommends Lexus mechanics in your specific area. I feel like I need to try a new mechanic from the past few experiences I've had.
Attached Thumbnails 92' SC400 | Coolant Sensor, Leaking Coolant-coolanthosenew.jpg   92' SC400 | Coolant Sensor, Leaking Coolant-coolantnew.jpg  
Old 07-16-12, 07:31 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I would start off by saying your leak is notorious for the SC400. The sensor starts leaking or the actual overflow coolant tank will start to crack over old age. I would order a new sensor or try to find one locally in the classifieds. For a temp fix unplug the sensor and take a big pair of pliers and remove the sensor without damaging it, and apply some sealant around it and let dry. Then see what happens. I went through two of these coolant reservoir on my reservoir. They are getting harder and harder to find. I also think there is a DIY on here for just tying the two wires together on the sensor. I never done that personally. There are models that doesn't have the sensor whatsoever, good luck!
Old 03-19-13, 01:43 PM
Monty87
Driver School Candidate

Never thanked you for this reply. I ebayed the Sensor which was just a few dollars cheaper than what my mechanic wanted. He was so busy he installed it for free in 3 minutes just to get my car out of his garage for the next customer. I didn't try your quick-fix when you posted because at the time the part was a bit intimidating and I wasn't sure what I was looking at until the new part showed up.

Anyway, thank again!!
Old 03-19-13, 03:33 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

No problem. I actual forgot that I replied to you about it.

Lets hope this part fixes your issue. Those canisters or tanks need to be made out of something better from the get go.
Old 03-19-13, 05:05 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hmm not sure thats your problem, that sensor is your Low engine coolant sensor, your engine coolant temp sensor is a few inches from the thermostat. Try flushing and bleeding out the system, also check your reservoir cap see if that helps.
Old 01-06-18, 07:58 PM
RobTyler
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 1JZPWRD
I would start off by saying your leak is notorious for the SC400. The sensor starts leaking or the actual overflow coolant tank will start to crack over old age. I would order a new sensor or try to find one locally in the classifieds. For a temp fix unplug the sensor and take a big pair of pliers and remove the sensor without damaging it, and apply some sealant around it and let dry. Then see what happens. I went through two of these coolant reservoir on my reservoir. They are getting harder and harder to find. I also think there is a DIY on here for just tying the two wires together on the sensor. I never done that personally. There are models that doesn't have the sensor whatsoever, good luck!
hey i curious if you would know if a could go with a 1995 sc400 coolant reservoir on my 1992 Lexus sc400 my sensor is leaking like you were saying and was curious if I could go with the 95 one and delete that sensor. Would if mess with the motor or computer at All?
thank you, Robert
Old 03-24-24, 02:21 PM
Kadams1
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Joey-E
Hmm not sure thats your problem, that sensor is your Low engine coolant sensor, your engine coolant temp sensor is a few inches from the thermostat. Try flushing and bleeding out the system, also check your reservoir cap see if that helps.
where could I get that sensor I’ve been looking everywhere. It leaks on my new sc400 and the previous owner superglued the rubber cap and the glue just melted right off making a whole mess…