Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

engine swap vvti gte vs non vvti gte?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-12, 09:39 AM
xsc2jz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine swap vvti gte vs non vvti gte?

Hey CL, i decided to make a thread about the following swap im planing on doing.
I got a 97 sc300 5 spd and want to go turbo. At first i was thinking of going na-t but decided to go with the gte. Now the question i wanted to know is what is better vvti vs non vvti. Now, i know there is a few threads about this here but i couldnt really get the answer i wanted.
What are the advantages of going with the vvti vs the non vvti. I got a friend here who strongly suggest to get the vvti but ive always though that non was cleaner and better.
Have any of you guys who done a swap to the vvti or non vvti had any issues with these two engines.
Any comments would be appreciated.
Old 07-11-12, 10:04 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

vvti is a pain in the *** to tune from what I understand. That's why most people go non vvti.
Old 07-11-12, 10:19 AM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sweet! A guy with no experience giving advice from what he has heard! Thanks for being helpful!

If you stay stock ecu and have mild power goals it will be as easy to tune as the alternative.

I have the same setup in vvti and non vvti. 1j/he341 holset/ 440cc injectors. Vvti rips harder man, smoother, pulls like a freight train even in partial throttle. Also my vvti ge iS wagon was spunkier than my gf's ge 5spd 92 sc

BUT: non vvti is hands down cheaper by a long shot. If you're worried about cost avoid vvti. If not, go big!

Btw, this is for jzx100/soarer 1j. I don't fancy the 2j and jzx110/jzs171 drive by wire crap
Old 07-11-12, 10:53 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Vrank
Sweet! A guy with no experience giving advice from what he has heard! Thanks for being helpful!

If you stay stock ecu and have mild power goals it will be as easy to tune as the alternative.

I have the same setup in vvti and non vvti. 1j/he341 holset/ 440cc injectors. Vvti rips harder man, smoother, pulls like a freight train even in partial throttle. Also my vvti ge iS wagon was spunkier than my gf's ge 5spd 92 sc

BUT: non vvti is hands down cheaper by a long shot. If you're worried about cost avoid vvti. If not, go big!

Btw, this is for jzx100/soarer 1j. I don't fancy the 2j and jzx110/jzs171 drive by wire crap
Take it easy bud. Your answer was mostly opinion anyway. Try to convince me or anyone else why VVTi is really the way to go especially if you have plans on going single down the road (like most do).

Surely everyone would be doing it since to get a vvti or nonvvti engine package is the same price.
Old 07-11-12, 11:47 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I vote non VVTi

Easier to find camshaft if you decide to go all out.

Alot of EMS are PNP with this harness no patch harness or rewiring is needed.

Non VVTi only uses map.

Non VVTi maybe easier for you to work on if you are not familiar with these engine.

At the end of the day it's all preferences , what do you like? it's all about you OP!

VVTi are more than likely cleaner because they are newer cars! Fun to drive i can tell you!

I like them both.
Old 07-11-12, 12:16 PM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Titan makes cams for VVT-i

Last edited by account2x; 07-11-12 at 12:23 PM.
Old 07-11-12, 01:05 PM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by account2x
Titan makes cams for VVT-i
last time i check they were not available, but it looks like they are back in stock .
Old 07-11-12, 06:30 PM
xsc2jz
Driver School Candidate

Thank you all for the good information. Im honestly quite new to these engines, all i know about these cars is, theyre confortable and fast which is alll i care about. Easy simple and ChEap is what im looking for. If anyone else has any more comments or information please reply to this post.
Old 07-11-12, 07:58 PM
blk&blu*j
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by xsc2jz
Thank you all for the good information. Im honestly quite new to these engines, all i know about these cars is, theyre confortable and fast which is alll i care about. Easy simple and ChEap is what im looking for. If anyone else has any more comments or information please reply to this post.

Cheap,easy and simple are not really good words in a sentence with Turbo.
With that being said non vvti all the way everything is easier to handle and upgrading has already been done to death so vast knowledge is readily available as well as parts from numerous suppliers! IMO.
Old 07-11-12, 09:56 PM
xsc2jz
Driver School Candidate

I dont mean cheap like that i mean if something goes wrong with the engine its not going to cost me more than what the actual engine is worth to get it fix.
I know that having a good set up will run me a good amount of $$$ and thats not the problem but thanks for ur opinion man!
Old 07-11-12, 10:07 PM
blk&blu*j
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by xsc2jz
I dont mean cheap like that i mean if something goes wrong with the engine its not going to cost me more than what the actual engine is worth to get it fix.
I know that having a good set up will run me a good amount of $$$ and thats not the problem but thanks for ur opinion man!
Yeah my fuel system is just short of $3000 so I know what you mean about cheap a factory short block from Toyoda $23-2400 so just a little lost on your terminology.
You asked for suggestions but don't like the answer, good luck with this build senor
Old 07-11-12, 11:14 PM
xsc2jz
Driver School Candidate

Thanks man,
I guess is just time for me to really think about what I want to get.
Old 07-12-12, 08:06 AM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

For 97-sc300

Originally Posted by Vrank

[this is a fact: I have used both the safc2 and emu on my 1j vvti and non vvti and it responds the same, very simple. The factory ecu takes care of the vvti, you take care of fuel/timing. When you go to a standalone that does not have out of the box vvti support you enter a crappy world of having to setup the range of the cam with pwm crap which is over my head and like you have been told will surely be a hassle]

[this is a fact: I literally have identical setups, and were in the same exact chassis with the only difference being that one is vvti. If my computer hadn't crapped I could provide logs from my emanage. The vvti spools the same turbo a few hundred rpms quicker out of the box. Even Partial throttle it just plain pulls harder. also, I've run my gf a million times, her driving the auto IS (to eliminate woman driver error) which had 3.90 gears vs. Me in her factory stock 92 5spd sc with 4.08 gears. Shed pull me every time. With the ac on in both cars it was even worse

OPINION: because I can't prove this. But I wanna say that partial/mid throttle is where vvti really shines.

[fact: maybe I should clarify why I say cheaper. Yes, initial purchase price between the two are about the same, but when building these things, non vvti is cheaper by miles due to the availability of parts both new and used. Cost me $400 more to piece together the same exact turbo kit because of the manifold availability. Non vvti has been around so much longer]

[opinion] this is personal preference. I stated it like this because unlike you, I didn't wanna state stuff that I don't have firsthand experience with. But people I've talked to have confirmed to me what I have thought about the dbw ecus being like obd2 ecus, smart and a headache. While the non vvti and jzx100/soarer ecus are dumb and easy to manipulate]
Old 07-12-12, 08:13 AM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

Sorry for all the clutter it's difficult to do this from my phone.

The lack of solid information, aftermarket support, and people like the guy I addressed in the post above who spread senseless myths is why more people haven't done these. They've now been around long enough that this is becoming less of a problem
Old 07-12-12, 08:51 AM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You are already buying a 2JZ-GTE VVT-i front clip with rear diff for 2400, that's a ****ing amazing deal and you want to trade it for a older engine that's weaker too. I mean I'll do it, it makes no difference to me but it's a really stupid idea IMO and you'll regret it after you get the engine running inside your car.

Plus you should be listening to me because I'm doing your swap.

Last edited by account2x; 07-12-12 at 08:56 AM.

Quick Reply: engine swap vvti gte vs non vvti gte?