Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

engine swap vvti gte vs non vvti gte?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-12, 09:13 AM
cartmill
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

are we talking about 1jzvvti or 2jzvvti?

i had a 1jz vvti in my 92 SC and it made 253whp @ 10psi with a stock catback with a cat, only a fmic, intake, and 2.5" downpipe... also made full torque by 2900rpm. these are awesome engines.

Old 07-12-12, 09:23 AM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

2jz-gte vvt-i
Old 07-12-12, 09:24 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by account2x
You are already buying a 2JZ-GTE VVT-i front clip with rear diff for 2400, that's a ****ing amazing deal and you want to trade it for a older engine that's weaker too. I mean I'll do it, it makes no difference to me but it's a really stupid idea IMO and you'll regret it after you get the engine running inside your car.

Plus you should be listening to me because I'm doing your swap.
Who cares how old the engine is as long as it does what it's suppose to do very well .

Weaker ? really? i didn't know the 2jzgte non vvti was weaker than the VVti version.

it's not a 98-2001 GS300 so what 2jzgte you drop in it will be just fine.

why would he regret for not going VVti? it's all preferences , You obviously think the vvti is "stronger"

Like is said on my previous post at the end of the day OP your car your money do what you like and yes 2400 is a killer deal on the complete swap but the VVTi is not *stronger*.

Please post some data to back it up, the non vvti being "weaker " or some back to back testing that's a whole new thread..

Gl with the project..
Old 07-12-12, 09:31 AM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You are already buying a 2JZ-GTE VVT-i front clip with rear diff for 2400, that's a ****ing amazing deal and you want to trade it for a older engine that's weaker too. I mean I'll do it, it makes no difference to me but it's a really stupid idea IMO and you'll regret it after you get the engine running inside your car.

Plus you should be listening to me because I'm doing your swap.

I'd be willing to trade my gf's non vvti 1j with holset and 4" dp out of her 92 for this right now. Non dbw intake/tb, jzx100 ecu and emanage ultimate with twins in ttc mode would be super fun!
Old 07-12-12, 02:41 PM
alucard655
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went 2JZGTE VVTI
Old 07-12-12, 02:50 PM
dlsoul87
Driver

I went 2jzgte vvti with no regrets...
Old 07-12-12, 04:13 PM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

there is no aftermarket ems to tune if u go 2j vvti on single turbo with the ttitan 264 cams ?
Old 07-12-12, 09:32 PM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by YeA 2jZ
there is no aftermarket ems to tune if u go 2j vvti on single turbo with the ttitan 264 cams ?
aem
pro efi

Originally Posted by Quicksc4
Who cares how old the engine is as long as it does what it's suppose to do very well .

Weaker ? really? i didn't know the 2jzgte non vvti was weaker than the VVti version.

it's not a 98-2001 GS300 so what 2jzgte you drop in it will be just fine.

why would he regret for not going VVti? it's all preferences , You obviously think the vvti is "stronger"

Like is said on my previous post at the end of the day OP your car your money do what you like and yes 2400 is a killer deal on the complete swap but the VVTi is not *stronger*.

Please post some data to back it up, the non vvti being "weaker " or some back to back testing that's a whole new thread..

Gl with the project..
The second video straight from Toyota."build power and torque much more rapidably than a conventional engine." It improves the powerband so yes the non vvti versions are weaker.

Last edited by account2x; 07-12-12 at 09:37 PM.
Old 07-13-12, 01:34 AM
lfrers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

When you work on your mysterious lady parts you should have the right tools too, that's why you should have Maypax, the official tampon of Nascar.
Old 07-13-12, 05:43 AM
blk&blu*j
Lexus Test Driver

The second video straight from Toyota."build power and torque much more rapidably than a conventional engine." It improves the powerband so yes the non vvti versions are weaker.
Dam I think I'm gonna get a VVTI the power band is so much better with more torque!!LOL.
Old 07-13-12, 07:46 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

aem
pro efi .
We said PNP harness, we all the V2 can control the VVTI, proefi does if you get the IS300 patch harness, HKS v Pro, Haltech does but doesn't control the auto trans very well, atleast not the toyota auto,Vipec BUt it's not pnp, Motec does ....etc

Please exit the thread if you gonna post a bunch of crap.
Old 07-13-12, 01:14 PM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ Weaker can mean less powerful, which ultimately the non vvti are in stock form. Sounds like you have a problem accepting superior technology. if you don't believe this, go test drive a vvti ge sc and a non vvti ge sc back to back, or better yet, bring one, test drive the other, and bring a video camera and run them. Report back.

Also, you said pnp harness. You're the only person that mentions PNP.

IMO, PNP ecu compatibility is for lazy people, people with too much money, or people that can't figure out stuff. It's not hard to build a jumper harness or to replace ecu plugs with different ones at all. Also, I'd rather spend $850 on a honda aem and do 20 minutes worth of board work than $1850 for a PNP one for an example

From what I understand the best ecu's you can get don't come in PNP apps. You're short changing yourself

BACK ON TOPIC, TO THE OP: Get non vvti, it is definitely cheaper if you wanna start upgrading.
Old 07-13-12, 02:02 PM
99SC42
gte & na-t

The 2 of yall need to post some data to back it up back to back testing..

I don't believe its better , that's my opinion.

read my sig , i have had my 02 GS300 with 2jzge *vvti* for 7 years it has 252k miles on it the last time i drove it which was last night. and the my LS 3uz fe *vvti* so i think i know enough about the*vvti* .

vvti i don't care for it, i doesn't matter to me.

I said PNP because majority of these guys on the forums don't know the difference in the harness and wiring, i could care less if it's pnp for my car , i can make my own wiring harness!

You wanna buy 850 ecu good for you more power to you not everyone one here knows wiring like you .

enough with the back and forth ,pm me if you have any question.

did you read my first post ? that's his car , his money buy what he wants but he needs to know the pro and cons and that's what i was trying to do.
Old 07-13-12, 03:06 PM
blk&blu*j
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Vrank
^ Weaker can mean less powerful, which ultimately the non vvti are in stock form. Sounds like you have a problem accepting superior technology. if you don't believe this, go test drive a vvti ge sc and a non vvti ge sc back to back, or better yet, bring one, test drive the other, and bring a video camera and run them. Report back.

Also, you said pnp harness. You're the only person that mentions PNP.

IMO, PNP ecu compatibility is for lazy people, people with too much money, or people that can't figure out stuff. It's not hard to build a jumper harness or to replace ecu plugs with different ones at all. Also, I'd rather spend $850 on a honda aem and do 20 minutes worth of board work than $1850 for a PNP one for an example

From what I understand the best ecu's you can get don't come in PNP apps. You're short changing yourself

BACK ON TOPIC, TO THE OP: Get non vvti, it is definitely cheaper if you wanna start upgrading.

The Honda box is missing some pieces over the PNP in the AEM box as an example.

It also occurred to me that I missed what your ride is.
PS. My ride is my signature and I have to much money to worry about buying a Honda box for my Toyota or trying to reverse engineer a wheel that was already running as intended.
Old 07-13-12, 03:28 PM
vinh
Lexus Champion

I have a 2JZGTE VVTi with AEM V2, if you need a good tuner for it I can pm you some recommendations.

Quick Reply: engine swap vvti gte vs non vvti gte?