Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > SC Models > SC 400/300 > Performance & Maintenance
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Facts about oil and what grade to choose

Old 09-16-13, 07:24 PM   #16
MajorSloMo
Rookie
Trader Score: (1)

Agent Bart0n NTBassman82

My situation where I live we have hot summers and cold winters. so I'm thinking that according to this the oil i'm choosing to go with should be fine. Initially I said 5w-30, but in fact I should be using 0w-30 according to this guy. What happens when its 20 degrees outside
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
MajorSloMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-13, 12:09 AM   #17
TheAzn
Lead Lap

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj408 View Post
hope your kidding.
Lol well it is true. If you pull into a gas station, check your oil, you have NO oil and the only oil the station sells is anything but what you run... would you go ahead and chance it with no oil or with but wrong viscosity? It's just to lube the parts so nothing grinds and comes to a halt. Doesn't mean it may or may not run right, etc etc but generally speaking it's not running dry at least.

I know someone who runs 15W50 in everything. Damn, right? Have yet to see problems... besides fuel economy going out the window.

I always ran 10W30 HM in my SC, only because the oil pan gasket is seaping oil a bit.

1995 Lexus SC300 No.418
2JZGE 5-Speed 3L2
K&N Intake | BBK Wilwood/ Brembo | Tein CS w/ EDFC | Cusco Tower Bar | Vertex | VIS CF Hood | Origin Roof Spoiler | 18"x8"F/9.5"R OZ Salinas | Phoenix Power Departure 3 Catback
TheAzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-13, 09:18 AM   #18
Ali SC3
Na-T Guru
Trader Score: (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by myLEXsc400 View Post
So on a on a turbo car, I should run 10w30 synthetic? I live in Chicago, and my car is in the process of getting turboed as we speak
thats what I have always had the best experience running on my motor, people can say theoretically all they want about the 5 and 0 weight oils being better on startup but 10w30 makes my motor happy even when cold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorSloMo View Post
My situation where I live we have hot summers and cold winters. so I'm thinking that according to this the oil i'm choosing to go with should be fine. Initially I said 5w-30, but in fact I should be using 0w-30 according to this guy. What happens when its 20 degrees outside
our cars call for 5w30 (2jzge), but usually with age and or a turbo that creates extra pressure, we go to 10w30 (like a 2jzgte calls for).
I say 10w30 most of the time and 10w30 can really be used like all the way down to 0 degrees and further. 20 degrees is not that bad really. You can try 5w30 if you are stock non-turbo, it should be find but look out for leaks if your seals are older. I wouldn't even bother with 0w30 5w30 is about as low as I would go. I mean the oil gets there quicker when it is cold, but is it thick enough to do the job... probably not on older motors.
For most any toyota If you ran 10w30 all year, or swapped to 5w30 right before the worst part of winter if your doesn't leak then you should be good.

1995 Lexus SC300 5spd Na-T ( TT Ecu Mod + a few others)
Ali SC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-13, 02:01 PM   #19
marshall2j
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)

I've always tried to get the lowest I can get, ie 0w-30 or 5w-30. It looks like a lot of my other readings have coincided with OP's post.

Jeremy
10 G37x Sedan- Wifes
marshall2j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-13, 04:19 PM   #20
sj408
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAzn View Post
Lol well it is true. If you pull into a gas station, check your oil, you have NO oil and the only oil the station sells is anything but what you run... would you go ahead and chance it with no oil or with but wrong viscosity? It's just to lube the parts so nothing grinds and comes to a halt. Doesn't mean it may or may not run right, etc etc but generally speaking it's not running dry at least.

I know someone who runs 15W50 in everything. Damn, right? Have yet to see problems... besides fuel economy going out the window.

I always ran 10W30 HM in my SC, only because the oil pan gasket is seaping oil a bit.
Not sure how you get to the gas station with no oil.... after all it is called a pre-trip

I would most definitely put whatever oil is available at the time but rest assured I would be changing to a proper oil ASAP. Viscosity and oil type are not so much a factor in the short run but very clearly apparent when it comes to long term wear and the overall metallurgy of engine internals.

So yeah, in a very general sense what your saying is not untrue..... but running a thicker oil to mask something as simple as tightening oil pan bolts or replacing a gasket is simply not understandable to me. Its an extremely old school train of thought IMO

Running 15w50 in everything is just a Im gonna go out on a limb and say your friend is 50+ years old. On alot of engines i am familiar with running a 15w50 is simply asking for valvetrain issues and shortly thereafter failure because of the very tight tolerances when it comes to oiling passages.

hell, before going boosted I used as thin as a 0w20 and 0w30 in alot of my cars including a jz car fwiw

Last edited by sj408; 09-19-13 at 04:23 PM..
sj408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-13, 07:08 AM   #21
MajorSloMo
Rookie

Agent Bart0n NTBassman82

I'm not boosted and never had an interest in doing that. That being said my SC is a 92 with 158k on the clock. it was neglected for a time by a previous owner and its on its way to performing like a champ. I want to give 0w-30 a shot since it gets damn cold up here, and actually starting to get cold now actually. Worse case scenario, it leaks and I have to fix it. No big deal and lesson learned
Old 09-20-13, 07:11 AM   #22
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

The 3.5L was 5w30.
No changes were made to the engine and now 0w20 is recommended.
Why?
To squeeze out another couple of tenths MPG to help meet the CAFE regulations.

'13 GS 350 AWD Starfire Pearl/Black
Luxury&Cold Pkg,BSM,LED Fogs,Puddles,Door Panels,Trunk,Reverse
'15 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring w/Tech AWD Crystal White Pearl Mica/Black

Joeb427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-13, 09:28 AM   #23
xECKSx58
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)

Very good read. It took a while to read it all in one sitting and I'll have to re-visit it a few times to fully understand everything, but overall I think I got the picture and am now that much more intelligent xD
xECKSx58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-13, 06:39 AM   #24
MajorSloMo
Rookie

Agent Bart0n NTBassman82

So far I've been 3 weeks on 0w-30 and no leaks at all. Car runs like a champ. This read has been extremely informative
Old 10-07-13, 06:39 AM

Tags
0w40, 460, additive, engine, engines, es350, gs300, hot, lexus, line, ls, needed, oil, older, red, regions, synthetic, thicker, type