Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

cams and valve springs

Old 07-10-12, 04:02 PM
2jpowa
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cams and valve springs

I decided to get cams for my ge motor. i decided to go with 278 pretty much same thing as 280's, i know that valve springs are a must. but do i have to have duel valves springs or will bc single springs work fine? i already have bc's new in the box thats why im asking. i also have some +1 valves and im woundering do i have to get new valve seats to use them? or just get machine work. Thanks in advance for the advice!
Old 07-10-12, 04:50 PM
blk&blu*j
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 2jpowa
I decided to get cams for my ge motor. i decided to go with 278 pretty much same thing as 280's, i know that valve springs are a must. but do i have to have duel valves springs or will bc single springs work fine? i already have bc's new in the box thats why im asking. i also have some +1 valves and im woundering do i have to get new valve seats to use them? or just get machine work. Thanks in advance for the advice!
The benefit of big cams is the ability to rev and with that comes $$$$ dual springs give pressure under the bucket to handle the extra lift the cams are pushing out (abuse). I'm 1mm over and I didn't have to change seats but that ? is better answered by the machinist. But I would highly recommend doing shimless buckets as well as locks,keepers,and guides IE: a built head!

GL and remember the $ sweet taste of success stays far longer than the vision without the money.
Old 07-10-12, 05:14 PM
2jpowa
Driver

so dual valve springs are needed for the bigger cams? I have valves guides seals and locks. i didnt know about having to change the buckets. but if i just put the cams in and shim it and springs and retainers i could keep the factory valve train and be just fine correct?
Old 07-11-12, 06:42 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Alex if you gonna put anything over 268 , I would rebuild the whole thing .

Yes dual springs are needed for bigger cams specially with High lift, and the Shimless buckets, don't waste your time on the factory 2jzge valvetrain with those aggressive cams.

The guy on the second post has a build head on his car and been around these car longer , listen to him he know this stuff!