Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

quick question about my swap w/pics

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-12, 04:04 PM
megamax
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^and boom! There's ur answer!
Old 07-09-12, 04:07 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Engine questions in the engine forum please.

Moved.
Old 07-09-12, 08:33 PM
DRFT103
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TweakTech
The year of the 1JZ is irrelevant, the CHASSIS it came out of is where this alternator nonsense comes into play. Chasers have the alternator in the engine BAY harness, while Soarers have it in the ENGINE harness. Since your harness is from a Chaser, you don't have any alternator wiring in the actual engine harness and you'll need to add that in.
I realize that, but my question is... where do i specifically add that in?
Old 07-10-12, 05:09 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Dude you are just chasing your tail, i told you what you need to do to fix that , Tweaktech told the same thing , there is nothing else we can do for you . You need to go outside and tear up your harness or if you can do it or don't know how thing work let a profesional do it. Simple is that.
All we are doing here is keep repeating ourselves.

Sorry i am not trying to be a Jerk or anything.
Old 07-10-12, 06:34 AM
SFrymyah
Driver

Originally Posted by TweakTech
The year of the 1JZ is irrelevant, the CHASSIS it came out of is where this alternator nonsense comes into play. Chasers have the alternator in the engine BAY harness, while Soarers have it in the ENGINE harness. Since your harness is from a Chaser, you don't have any alternator wiring in the actual engine harness and you'll need to add that in.
While I know you know a whole hell of a lot more than I do about this swap and its wiring, I have to disagree with this statement. While this probably holds true in the majority of swaps, mine is a confirmed Soarer swap and does not have the alternator wiring in the engine harness.

Originally Posted by Quicksc4
Dude you are just chasing your tail, i told you what you need to do to fix that , Tweaktech told the same thing , there is nothing else we can do for you . You need to go outside and tear up your harness or if you can do it or don't know how thing work let a profesional do it. Simple is that.
All we are doing here is keep repeating ourselves.

Sorry i am not trying to be a Jerk or anything.
I think he's referring to the post I quoted below -

Those wires don't go to the ECU check the pinout above it tells where those wires go.

Y-G goes to the cluster combination meter

Middle on gors to the body plug

White wire goes to the fuse box on the driver side.
I don't know where I'm supposed to add this wire into the cluster, body plug or the fuse box. I know thats where they go, but the correct position is key. Its easy for something to go really really wrong here. Every part of this swap is visually documented very well, but information starts getting sparse when we start getting into wiring. Its not hard, but no one will deny it is very intimidating.

I don't think you're being a jerk at all and the things you've posted have been really helpful. I'd really hate this place to turn into DSMTuners though where they don't understand some people need more exact instruction than others. Some people go on there with a question and the moderators lose their minds and start calling members lazy and how they aren't going to "spoon feed them information". I'm not trying to create a pissing match here, just trying to explain that I think the topic here is a great piece that should be spelled out for someone thats on the fence about doing a swap.
Old 07-10-12, 06:42 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just chase the wires on your 2jzge harness , remove them from you ge harness and add them into you 1jzgte harness at the same location.

Or just go by the wirirng pinout i had posted on the first page of this thread it tells you where each wire goes and the color.
Old 07-10-12, 06:53 AM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sfrymyah and the op need to buy a Lexus factory wiring diagram book specifically f Our car and then start at the beginning where it teaches you exactly how to use the book. It's very simple. If you cannot figure out how, which I highly suspect the op will not, then you either need to pay someone to do it or post pics of your car once it catches fire.

When doing your harness, youll run one wire from one of the plug on the fuse box, like ij1 or something like that iirc (double check factory book can't remember off the top of my head since most toyotas have similar named plugs that are completely different) and two more wires from inside the cabin, passenger kick panel.

Op, how can you hold the large gauge power wire for the alternator and have no idea what it is after saying you've yanked an engine out of this car before? Please pay someone to do this, take the time to learn it, or sell it all and save yourself the headache.

Last edited by Vrank; 07-10-12 at 06:59 AM.
Old 07-10-12, 08:15 AM
TweakTech
Lead Lap

Just chase the wires on your 2jzge harness , remove them from you ge harness and add them into you 1jzgte harness at the same location.

Or just go by the wirirng pinout i had posted on the first page of this thread it tells you where each wire goes and the color.
OP, anytime you get confused, just re-read this statement ^^^^
Old 07-10-12, 08:44 AM
93MSB
Instructor

Received 151 Likes on 100 Posts

for the alternator your not looking at what the engine your swapping in has.... your looking at what your chassis is asking for.

your chassis wants the alternator plug run through the engine harness

so you need to do what quicksc4 and tweak said, get your GE harness out and de-pin the alternator plug from the ge engine harness and splice it into your soarer harness
Old 07-10-12, 07:27 PM
SFrymyah
Driver

So I took the advice to heart and went out in the garage to trace the wires i needed and posted my results with wiring advice in a new thread.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ml#post7349791

hope this helps anyone trying to figure this out in an elementary way.
Old 07-11-12, 07:57 AM
TweakTech
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 93MSB
for the alternator your not looking at what the engine your swapping in has.... your looking at what your chassis is asking for.
YES! YES! YES!

Originally Posted by SFrymyah
So I took the advice to heart and went out in the garage to trace the wires i needed and posted my results with wiring advice in a new thread.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ml#post7349791

hope this helps anyone trying to figure this out in an elementary way.
OP, check it out. It's correct.