Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Problem With My 1992 Lexus SC300

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-12, 11:23 AM
Lex1992
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem With My 1992 Lexus SC300

I just bought my lexus maybe last week its a 1992 sc300 model , it ran good i mean perfect for a week . one day i pulled up to the bank to drop some money off and i turned my LEX off for about 5 min. then i started it back up made a phone call while i was on the phone the car just died on me , i didnt know what it was so i just started it back up and it was good . two days ago i went to work fine after work went to the bank then my house then i left to my friends house , while i was driving the car i gave it gas literally i pressed the gas all the way down but no accelaration what so ever , it was dying on me . i stop in the middle of the road and tryed starting the car back up and it wouldnt , and finally it fired back up but everytime i would try to give it gas it wouldnt and i didnt get far until the car started to die again , now its posted at the house . anyone had this problem before what can it be ? fuel pump ?? the car was driving good and all a sudden this happen ??

Last edited by Lex1992; 06-24-12 at 11:26 AM.
Old 06-24-12, 11:55 AM
4thHorsemn
Pole Position

So many things, could be a faulty Mass Air Flow Meter... bad plugs... there's no check engine light?
Old 06-24-12, 12:20 PM
Lex1992
Driver School Candidate

no check engine light is on , you mean bad spark plug wires ? can the spark plugs cause the car to randomly stall ? i give it gas but all it does is lose power and stall .
Old 06-24-12, 12:51 PM
iridebmx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

fuel pump ecu!!!!!!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...tures-faq.html

do thus and you should be good.
Old 06-24-12, 01:22 PM
Lex1992
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by iridebmx
fuel pump ecu!!!!!!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...tures-faq.html

do thus and you should be good.
you think its really the fuel pump ecu ?? did you have the same problem like me ?? my friend thinks its the fuel pump or fuel filter ...
Old 06-24-12, 03:29 PM
DoomLight
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

make sure the MASS air Flow sensor intake tube hasn't a break in it. that will kill the car immediately
Old 06-24-12, 03:54 PM
spacedog
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ignition, air, and fuel...that's what you need to have your car run. check out the components in each of those categories and you should find the culprit.

For IGNITION check your cap, rotor, wires, and plugs.

For AIR check your MAF for loose connections and proper operation. You should also check for any vacuum leaks.

For FUEL check your pump, filter, and fuses.

If necessary check your actual ECU.

This is what I'd do from what I can remember off the top of my head. I'm sure others will chime in if I missed anything.

From experience I had the same problems you had and it turned out to be the rotor. I replaced both cap and rotor and never had a problem again.

If you just got the car make sure to do a full tune up too.

Good luck!!

Last edited by spacedog; 06-24-12 at 03:58 PM.
Old 06-24-12, 05:20 PM
Lex1992
Driver School Candidate

okay rewiring the ecu worked thank you now it fires right up , i gotta question tho , rewiring the ecu will it affect anything , like will my gas go a lot quicker than before ? will it mess anything else up on the car ?
Old 05-04-14, 04:11 PM
jhickox85
Driver School Candidate

Default Mine did the same thing...

Mine did the exact thing... It was the fuel filter

Originally Posted by Lex1992
I just bought my lexus maybe last week its a 1992 sc300 model , it ran good i mean perfect for a week . one day i pulled up to the bank to drop some money off and i turned my LEX off for about 5 min. then i started it back up made a phone call while i was on the phone the car just died on me , i didnt know what it was so i just started it back up and it was good . two days ago i went to work fine after work went to the bank then my house then i left to my friends house , while i was driving the car i gave it gas literally i pressed the gas all the way down but no accelaration what so ever , it was dying on me . i stop in the middle of the road and tryed starting the car back up and it wouldnt , and finally it fired back up but everytime i would try to give it gas it wouldnt and i didnt get far until the car started to die again , now its posted at the house . anyone had this problem before what can it be ? fuel pump ?? the car was driving good and all a sudden this happen ??
Old 05-04-14, 08:21 PM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you mean bypassing the fuel pump ecu, no. You'll be fine on gas mileage and all around
Old 07-15-20, 12:57 PM
Kehl5k
Driver School Candidate

Default I had the same problem. Check your ecu "bad capacitors"

Originally Posted by Lex1992
I had the same problem with my 92 SC300 it sounds like your ECU is going bad. the capacitors for the injector driver Circuit are probably shorting out due to the capacitors leaking electrolyte fluid on the circuit board, they are basically like a little battery and over time they tend to leak. I sent mine out to drift motion in California, and problem solved! Or you could just order a refurbished one off of eBay doesn't matter if it is an automatic transmission or manual both wold work just fine just make sure it's for OBD 1 or OBD 2 - depending on what you have.