Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Clutch failure.

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-12, 04:17 PM
SC51
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clutch failure.

I know the R154 is a pull type clutch. So that being said even if the disc was bad I should be able to depress the clutch and pull the PP back from the disc/flywheel and be able to shift it into gear correct?

On my way home today I did a 2nd to 3rd pull and it like slipped alot because I had to shift into 3rd so quick and then I was unable to shift anymore..

Got it home slaves working fine. With it running it seems like the throwout bearing is still working order and its still pulling the PP away strong. But no getting it into gear. I had to force it and try rev-matching to get it home

Anyway whats it sound like to you guys before I go pulling it apart. I hate that its my DD but oh well.
Old 06-15-12, 08:07 AM
SC51
Lexus Test Driver

Sound like the disc?
Old 06-15-12, 09:53 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

what do you mean by not getting into gear? do you mean you are locked out from putting it into gear unless you rev match. if so it sort of sounds like your clutch.
Old 06-15-12, 09:56 AM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The disk could be welded to the flywheel. Does it release AT ALL? I had a VW disk stick to the flywheel. I had to get it going down the road in a low gear, like 2nd, hold the clutch pedal down, and stomp/release the gas a few times to break it loose. Once it broke loose it worked fine again until I sold the car
Old 06-15-12, 10:13 AM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like a worn disk so most likely time for a new clutch set.
Old 06-15-12, 10:18 AM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is your rear main seal leaking at all?
Old 06-15-12, 10:57 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Broken PP rivets will do that , I don't think it's the disc. It sound like you broke those Pressure plates Rivets that hold the straps to the PP, pull the inspection plates and look through there see what you can find.

What diff are you running? if your gear ratio is too short you will be breaking alot of parts . On my last setup is was breaking ACT Pressure plates left and right like every Week.
Old 06-15-12, 02:36 PM
SC51
Lexus Test Driver

Ali SC3 what do you mean by not getting into gear? do you mean you are locked out from putting it into gear unless you rev match. if so it sort of sounds like your clutch.
Ya as of now its in my driveway not going anywhere. If I start it everything seems fine untill you try and shift it into and gear. Doesn't want to go at all tried forcing it to R and it grinds.
stockhatch The disk could be welded to the flywheel. Does it release AT ALL? I had a VW disk stick to the flywheel. I had to get it going down the road in a low gear, like 2nd, hold the clutch pedal down, and stomp/release the gas a few times to break it loose. Once it broke loose it worked fine again until I sold the car
No doesn't release at all. I have hills by my house I just don't want to risk trying it and then being stuck at the bottom of the hill with a heavy car lol

xspsi6 Is your rear main seal leaking at all?
I replaced it when I did the clutch a yr and a half ago but it still leaks a lil bit.
Broken PP rivets will do that , I don't think it's the disc. It sound like you broke those Pressure plates Rivets that hold the straps to the PP, pull the inspection plates and look through there see what you can find.

What diff are you running? if your gear ratio is too short you will be breaking alot of parts . On my last setup is was breaking ACT Pressure plates left and right like every Week.
I'll have to check that out I looked into the inspection covers yesterday and while off and running everything visibly looked ok. My gears are far from short, running 3.2 rear and 20s
Old 06-15-12, 04:55 PM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah go ahead and pull the covers off and turn the crank to check the rivet through the inspection hole, don't start the car .
I will bet that you broke those straps and it's will not go into gear atleast not when the car is running.

3.26 is far from being short, and do you down shift at higher rpm? if yes- that's your problem right there because the high rpm downshift is what breaks them, i learned the hard way the tech from SB told me that .

gl and please report back .
Old 06-26-12, 05:03 PM
SC51
Lexus Test Driver

*UPDATE* pulled the trans out today the disc was stuck on the flywheel. I carefully pried it off but it left little chunks of disc on there. Is this common? Or could it be when I cheape'd out on the disc and bought a XTD 6puck sprung one lol.
Old 06-26-12, 06:05 PM
blk&blu*j
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SC51
*UPDATE* pulled the trans out today the disc was stuck on the flywheel. I carefully pried it off but it left little chunks of disc on there. Is this common? Or could it be when I cheape'd out on the disc and bought a XTD 6puck sprung one lol.
Cheap an 2jz do not go together

Also with what you stated you found it sounds to me like you were not getting complete disengagement and as such overheated the disc to failure and well you know the outcome.

You can have good but it is not going to be cheap.
You can have cheap but its not going to be good .
The cost of failure typically costs more than good!
Old 06-27-12, 11:41 AM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You said it slipped a lot on the last pull you made, so that's probably when it overheated and fused it to the flywheel. What kind of PP are you running? Maybe it is weak and allowed the slippage/heating. Also, I would think a disk with more organics in it would be less likely to do this, but I'm no clutch guru.
Old 06-27-12, 04:23 PM
SC51
Lexus Test Driver

(blk&blu*j) Haha I know, its my fault. Was just trying to make it to the end of yr when I tear it all apart.

stockhatch You said it slipped a lot on the last pull you made, so that's probably when it overheated and fused it to the flywheel. What kind of PP are you running? Maybe it is weak and allowed the slippage/heating. Also, I would think a disk with more organics in it would be less likely to do this, but I'm no clutch guru.
Ya I think its just the fact of having a ******ty disc. I haven't really herd any bad thing about the ACT HD PP I'm running. But I have to say for an 80$ XTD clutch it did the job for a year and a half. And I beat on it daily.