Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Overheating - water pump replacement question

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-12, 02:35 PM
bryan767
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Overheating - water pump replacement question

Hey guys,

So i drove about 3 hours down to the beach fine (at night), while i was down there my car got HOT so i turned it off (i MELTED the top of the evap canister..). i checked on it later and i was a little low on coolant so i filled that up (btw i took my overflow tank off.. getting to that). seemed to be driving like normal for awhile since there wasn't to much traffic on the way home. i didn't feel at ease about the car because i noticed with my ac on the temp raise a little bit, so i went to a self service car was and blasted the engine bay and radiator with water and let it get to the point where i could touch every part of the motor and turbo without burning myself.

Started driving and got pretty far, i decided to stop at pepboys to buy a cheap overflow tank so i could throw it on when i got home (well i planned on it.. but didn't make it home). so im only about 45 min away from home where i notice my temp is coming up again, so i turn heat on blast and find another car wash. this is where i installed the over flow tank and filled it up with coolant. let it cool down and left again.

now i was only 15 min away from my house where i started noticing something that happened at the beach when my car started to over heat, so that my automatic car wouldn't decelerate when im off the gas. this became a problem because in drive my idle would be 2,500rpm and in park itd shoot off to somewhere around 4k. the temperature kept climbing and climbing but i managed to make it to my parking lot in the shade before it got too hot (over the 3rd peg). i parked and turned the car off but left the electric fans on. my temp was now all the way to the red according to my gauge. i let it sit while i popped the hood and saw the coolant surging out of the radiator and into the over flow tank (good thing i put it back on).

about 10 minutes went by and i wanted to check to see if the idle was still messed up, and yes it was but the temperature instantly dropped to the halfway mark. could be because the pump turned on and got a flush of colder coolant is my guess.

Now its a possibility i had/have a bubble in my system, so ill check that once i can uncap the radiator. but im thinking the water pump went out, however it doesn't make any noise.

my ultimate question is this:

if i already have been converted over to the 2jzgte water pump, without the clutch fan on. do i need the front half of the water pump or both halves. im assuming you only need the rear half to install the front half because its a different bolt pattern, but the front is the actual pump and the rear is just piping.

http://store.driftmotion.com/static/...pump-front.php
Old 06-10-12, 02:37 PM
bryan767
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

edit: i just remembered when i put the rebuilt head on i didnt have coolant and just have water in there. meant to change that out.. but ugh yea anyway. soo about those redskins..