Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Fuel Filter Advice needed ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-12, 06:22 PM
sc4doubleO
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I did a DIY a while back. The key is to crimp the rubber portion of the fuel line right underneath the fuel tank. Fuel will not get past that and you can take your time changing the fuel filter with out chemical burns.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...sing-fuel.html
Old 06-10-12, 06:33 PM
food7373
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can use a stock 300ZX TT filter. Here's a link if you go fuel hose route...

http://www.vegasdrift.com/forum/inde...78.0/wap2.html

I don't know why pics aren't working, but maybe they will for you. Good luck!
Old 06-10-12, 09:20 PM
chingpo05
Lead Lap

get a metric to -6 fitting and ss fuel line with an inline fuel filter and replace your old steel lines ; ) prob cost around 250 bux and if you ever want to go turbo an extra inline fuel pump could be added.
Old 06-11-12, 07:44 PM
AMGWNAB
Rookie

Thanks all, I'll check into the TT 300 filter if I decide to change it out.

No need for -6 line. If I ever do anything more than bolt ons it'll be a 100-150 shot.

-Will
Old 06-11-12, 08:34 PM
OilHammer
Driver School Candidate

Well this thread was timely. My SC400 stalled on the freeway this morning. I limped off an exit and it was barely running. I really thought the CEL was on when I had it towed to a shop, but they said no. The car ran fine when it got there....they said the only thing they could find wrong was that some azzhat had put the car on a lift and bent the fuel line and filter. Probably last week when I had the tires rotated and I just hadn't had it up to speed yet. So the fuel line isn't leaking, but it's way bent/kinked. The mechanic wants to replace the filter and the entire hard line. I told him why not just cut out the bend and put in rubber line and they said you couldn't do that. So.....this thread not only shows me that there IS a rubber line up there, but also that a 300TT filter might work. Bet I could just buy several feet of rubber line and the TT filter and swap the whole hard line piece out. Betting it's less than the $300 the shop is quoting too.
Old 06-14-12, 05:39 PM
AMGWNAB
Rookie

Originally Posted by OilHammer
Well this thread was timely. My SC400 stalled on the freeway this morning. I limped off an exit and it was barely running. I really thought the CEL was on when I had it towed to a shop, but they said no. The car ran fine when it got there....they said the only thing they could find wrong was that some azzhat had put the car on a lift and bent the fuel line and filter. Probably last week when I had the tires rotated and I just hadn't had it up to speed yet. So the fuel line isn't leaking, but it's way bent/kinked. The mechanic wants to replace the filter and the entire hard line. I told him why not just cut out the bend and put in rubber line and they said you couldn't do that. So.....this thread not only shows me that there IS a rubber line up there, but also that a 300TT filter might work. Bet I could just buy several feet of rubber line and the TT filter and swap the whole hard line piece out. Betting it's less than the $300 the shop is quoting too.
You should be able to cut the hard line (using the cutter specifcally for that job....NOT a hack saw), and flare it using a flaring tool. Just cut it off past the crimped portion......Put EFI hose over the flare, hose clamp or two, and a 300ZX filter in line. You could also probably use a 99-04 Mustang GT fuel filter, as they are a very similar design to the 300ZX.

No need to go trying to replace multiple feet of hose.

-Will
Old 06-14-12, 08:27 PM
OilHammer
Driver School Candidate

Yep, I have both the cutter and flare tool. I was able to "massage" it a bit and it's running fine again. I'm going to wait until I have an empty tank and a weekend to fix it. It's not leaking though, and I'm not going to turbo it, so it might just go a bit longer on that repair. Too many house projects at the moment, so car time has to wait.