Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1jzgte bov?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-12, 04:06 AM
Parker Gen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question 1jzgte bov?

Where have people with 1JZGTE converted to single turbos placed their aftermarket BOV's? I am thinking best between the turbo and the intercooler to capture as much charged air as possible once throttle is closed. Anyone have any pictures of their setup? Also what would anyone here recommend as a good quality BOV? Something that would last a long time and work reasonably well.

Last edited by Parker Gen; 05-31-12 at 04:34 AM.
Old 05-31-12, 05:54 AM
blk&blu*j
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Parker Gen
Where have people with 1JZGTE converted to single turbos placed their aftermarket BOV's? I am thinking best between the turbo and the intercooler to capture as much charged air as possible once throttle is closed. Anyone have any pictures of their setup? Also what would anyone here recommend as a good quality BOV? Something that would last a long time and work reasonably well.
Between turbo and intercooler and I would recommend Tial for BOV
Old 05-31-12, 02:10 PM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you're running a lot of boost on a big turbo you could always use two!
Old 05-31-12, 08:42 PM
Parker Gen
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by blk&blu*j
Between turbo and intercooler and I would recommend Tial for BOV
Cool I will go that way, and check out Tial too.

Originally Posted by OneJay
If you're running a lot of boost on a big turbo you could always use two!
Yeah have seen that before but won't be running too much. Not for a while anyway.
Old 05-31-12, 08:45 PM
Parker Gen
Lexus Test Driver

Since I have converted to single turbo with no internal wastegate, I assume my electronic boost controller will completely control turbo pressure or does the BOV play a part in this??? The stock turbo's would open the wategate internally to let air out, but my new turbo has none? :s
Old 06-01-12, 07:09 AM
blk&blu*j
Lexus Test Driver

Since I have converted to single turbo with no internal wastegate, I assume my electronic boost controller will completely control turbo pressure or does the BOV play a part in this??? The stock turbo's would open the wategate internally to let air out, but my new turbo has none? :s
You need a waste gate to control boost pressure in conjunction with your EBC they work as a team for your goals.
Old 06-01-12, 04:52 PM
Parker Gen
Lexus Test Driver

And a wastegate is a bov? connect pressure source line from turbo to ebc and than return line from ebc to bov or something? I have not got my pt6765 yet but from the pictures it looks like it has only 1 hose connection available for airline.
Old 06-01-12, 07:34 PM
blk&blu*j
Lexus Test Driver

And a wastegate is a bov? connect pressure source line from turbo to ebc and than return line from ebc to bov or something? I have not got my pt6765 yet but from the pictures it looks like it has only 1 hose connection available for airline.

The BOV gets its vacuum from a source on the motor directly it works off of variances in positive and negative pressure it is not tied in to the EBC.

The waste gate gets it information from the connection on the turbo ,you run a line from the turbo through a T. One side of the T goes to Turbo the other side of the T goes to the gate the 3rd side of the T goes to the EBC the other side of EBC goes to other port on top port on gate Gate

Waste gate (side)--------------------l--------------------turbo
Wastegate(top)------------ EBC---
Hope this helps
Old 06-01-12, 08:01 PM
BenStoked
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The wastegate's job is to control boost.
The BOV's job is to allow the compressed air out safely, when the throttle body is closed. If the air doesn't go somewhere (and FAST) bad things happen, especially at significant boost levels. For that reason, you want the blow off valve as CLOSE to the throttle body as you can (or as close as conveniently possible)
Old 06-01-12, 08:14 PM
Parker Gen
Lexus Test Driver

The BOV gets its vacuum from a source on the motor directly it works off of variances in positive and negative pressure it is not tied in to the EBC.

The waste gate gets it information from the connection on the turbo ,you run a line from the turbo through a T. One side of the T goes to Turbo the other side of the T goes to the gate the 3rd side of the T goes to the EBC the other side of EBC goes to other port on top port on gate Gate

Waste gate (side)--------------------l--------------------turbo
Wastegate(top)------------ EBC---
Hope this helps
I get this because I set up the EBC on the factory twins. However in my new turbo coming, all I see in the photo is 1 air outlet/inlet line which is and has been confusing me now every time I look at it? There is only 1 gold thing. And no wastegate so how does this work?

Originally Posted by BenStoked
The wastegate's job is to control boost.
The BOV's job is to allow the compressed air out safely, when the throttle body is closed. If the air doesn't go somewhere (and FAST) bad things happen, especially at significant boost levels. For that reason, you want the blow off valve as CLOSE to the throttle body as you can (or as close as conveniently possible)
So why is it best to put it near the throttle body when there would still be charged air just in front of the turbo going to the inlet manifold? What if the charged air behind the BOV (intercooler way) upon throttle closure continues back into the turbo, which is what would happen right? If I place the BOV between the turbo and intercooler, would that not stop this from happening and be safer for the turbo?
Old 06-01-12, 08:22 PM
blk&blu*j
Lexus Test Driver

Your twins came with built in wastegates the Precision needs an EXTERNAL WASTE GATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I personally would put the BOV between the Turbo and the intercooler.
Old 06-01-12, 08:38 PM
BenStoked
Lead Lap

So why is it best to put it near the throttle body when there would still be charged air just in front of the turbo going to the inlet manifold? What if the charged air behind the BOV (intercooler way) upon throttle closure continues back into the turbo, which is what would happen right? If I place the BOV between the turbo and intercooler, would that not stop this from happening and be safer for the turbo?
The blow off valve doesn't suck air, it lets it out. The air won't "continue back into the turbo", as the turbo is STILL pushing air, which goes out the bov. when it's open.

edit: the reasoning behing having the bov as close to the tb is simple physics: If the bov is between the turbo and IC, the air will stop flowing towards the the engine, then reverse flow back to the blow off valve. When boost is re-achieved, what pressure is still in the system will have to change direction AGAIN. Ideally, you'll be letting your foot off the gas during a shift, closing the throttle body (more skilled drivers won't, but that's a different box of mac'n'cheeze), activating the BOV. Having the bov closer to the throttle reduces these affects greatly.
Hope the point is clearer.

edit2: damn, I nearly half a paragraph there...

Last edited by BenStoked; 06-01-12 at 08:54 PM.
Old 06-01-12, 10:19 PM
Parker Gen
Lexus Test Driver

Your twins came with built in wastegates the Precision needs an EXTERNAL WASTE GATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I personally would put the BOV between the Turbo and the intercooler.
Right, so I need a BOV and an external wastegate. The external wastegate connects directly off the turbo? And my EBC connects to the external wastegate and the turbo. So I have a line going from the turbo (gold thing) to the boost controller solenoid, to the external wastegate on the turbo. Than I place the BOV somewhere along the way to the throttle body.

My stainless 1JZ t3/t4 exhaust manifold has a small downpipe with a 4 bolt flange type of thing, I am wondering why they have that there if the exhaust gases are going out the turbo rear housing anyway For flow maybe? To let 'extra' gases out?

Originally Posted by BenStoked
The blow off valve doesn't suck air, it lets it out. The air won't "continue back into the turbo", as the turbo is STILL pushing air, which goes out the bov. when it's open.

edit: the reasoning behing having the bov as close to the tb is simple physics: If the bov is between the turbo and IC, the air will stop flowing towards the the engine, then reverse flow back to the blow off valve. When boost is re-achieved, what pressure is still in the system will have to change direction AGAIN. Ideally, you'll be letting your foot off the gas during a shift, closing the throttle body (more skilled drivers won't, but that's a different box of mac'n'cheeze), activating the BOV. Having the bov closer to the throttle reduces these affects greatly.
Hope the point is clearer.

edit2: damn, I nearly half a paragraph there...
This makes sense too. I forgot about the turbo still flowing air forwards. hmmmm
Old 06-01-12, 10:45 PM
Parker Gen
Lexus Test Driver

This is basically similar to my 1jzgte exhaust manifold t3/t4 housing. This straight pipe coming out, is this where I mount the wastegate?

Found this picture of setup. It's all clearer now I am understanding this all. So the wategate gets connected to that pipe sticking out (or down) above? Or am I wrong and it goes directly on the turbo somewhere?

Last edited by Parker Gen; 06-01-12 at 10:51 PM.
Old 06-01-12, 10:47 PM
BenStoked
Lead Lap

Right, so I need a BOV and an external wastegate. The external wastegate connects directly off the turbo? And my EBC connects to the external wastegate and the turbo. So I have a line going from the turbo (gold thing) to the boost controller solenoid, to the external wastegate on the turbo. Than I place the BOV somewhere along the way to the throttle body.

My stainless 1JZ t3/t4 exhaust manifold has a small downpipe with a 4 bolt flange type of thing, I am wondering why they have that there if the exhaust gases are going out the turbo rear housing anyway For flow maybe? To let 'extra' gases out?
like this one?
http://i00.i.aliimg.com/photo/v0/298..._TOYOTA_86.jpg
The extra downpipe is what the wastegate bolts to. You're spot on with the assessment that the exhaust gasses flow through there. It's used so when the wastegate is opened/acuated, the gas flows through it, rather than the turbo.

(sorry if the description is funky, I only just recently got my hands on a t3/t4 manifold, went on my brother's 1j. none of this made sense, until I put my hands on it, and got to actually see/feel how it all works together. )

Quick Reply: 1jzgte bov?