Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Fan on ac condensor

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-12, 05:06 AM
bryan767
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Fan on ac condensor

I want to put a fan on my ac condensor because at idle/rest/traffic the ac doesnt blow as cold.
i have a front mount, ac condensor, then a mishimoto radiator and to puller electric fans.

i was thinking about putting two blower fans to suck air in from the front and push it through the condensor/radiator and the radiator will pull it through. however, im just afraid that itll block to much air while driving to the radiator. right now the electric fans are set up as key-on, so as soon as i turn the acc. on they fire up.

need some opinions

edit:

i just went ahead and bought 2x 10" fans. ill post pics and a review later once its installed.

Ill re-edit everything once im done with the DIY:

What you will need:
crimper tool
solder
heat shrink
electrical tape
1/4" protective wire wrapping
16 gauge wire
1x electric fan/oil cooler install kit
1x 10" Fan - (bought bought 2 incase this one dies)
1x RadioShack® 2-Position Female Interlocking Connector
1x RadioShack® 2-Position Male Interlocking Connector
^in store i found a package with one female/ one male connector part number 2740222

You will only be able to fit one 10" fan on the condensor because of the way the ac lines are routed infront. You could perhaps get one 10" and one smaller oilcooler fan to put on the passanger side of the condensor but this write up is just for one fan.

Now begin cutting and crimping and soldering the connections. The metal tabs need to be cut off the ends (this is from the manufacturing process as well as the ears on the plastic connectors).

at this point, you need to find out the polarity of your fan using a 9v battery, I'm going to be running my fan as a pusher fan (fan in front of the condenser, on the bumper side pushing air toward the condenser). In my case i had to wire my fan opposite, so black is power and blue (could be a different color) is ground. And because of this i believe ill have to flip the fan blade over

to be continued - when i install the fan (its raining)

Last edited by bryan767; 06-01-12 at 05:25 PM.
Old 05-25-12, 11:01 AM
sj408
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this is an idea im interested in seeing the result, my a/c blows like 40 degrees on the freeway, but in traffic/ stop and go it never has a chance to cool down.
Old 05-25-12, 01:29 PM
bryan767
Lexus Test Driver

yea, its just because theres no pusher fan on the condenser like.. every other car in the world. im debating if i should rig it to a switch or wire it into the other electric fans.. i mean more airflow would help the radiator as well. and i could just unpin them during the winter
Old 05-25-12, 03:19 PM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would wire it to come on with Key on. That's how I did it on my SC.
Old 05-25-12, 06:46 PM
BAD954BOI
Lexus Champion

This is a beautiful Idea I remember a few months back my ac condenser actually over heated on me.. Shid sucked untill I got the car actually moving Smh and to put whip cream on top my sc had the notorious melted/cut wires in the driver door so the windows wouldnt move for nothing!!!
Old 05-26-12, 08:41 AM
bryan767
Lexus Test Driver

im going to buy 2 quick disconnects so i can unhook them in winter, i dont want to freeze my car haha. should arrive on monday, ill have it wired that night.
Old 05-26-12, 09:22 AM
BAD954BOI
Lexus Champion

Write up!!!!
Old 05-26-12, 10:33 AM
bryan767
Lexus Test Driver

USPS saturday delivery ftw! I'll have em installed tomorrow
Old 05-31-12, 09:20 PM
bryan767
Lexus Test Driver

got my ac fan install kit (the zip tie things and pads) went to get my ac recharged and vacuumed and found out i have a pinhole in one of my lines. im mounting up the fan tomorrow and getting it wired then then sunday a new a/c line and hopefully fully working ac
Old 06-01-12, 05:15 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

what i did is use the 93-96 supra fan shroud which has a small 8 inch cutout to the left of the clutch fan area , found on supra forums the 93-96 aux fan setup with the mounting bracket which all mounts like factory onto the mishimoto rad . its wired into ac request so when ac button engaged it activates and pulls the hot air off the condensor and aids in stabilizing rad temps im also going to wire in a override switch that if ambient temps are in the 90's and im in stop and go traffic i can manually turn the aux fan on and keeps my temps stable while in traffic

im not a fan of pusher fans as it does add another layer of restriction when its not on
Old 06-01-12, 06:20 AM
bryan767
Lexus Test Driver

i agree im not a fan of pusher fans either because of the same reason.. i have to puller fans on the back, they do a good job for cooling the car but i think a pusher fan infront of them will increase airflow. im just going to wire it up using a plug so i can disconnect it once its starts getting colder out like i previously said. otherwise itll be on all the time, with the puller fans.
Old 06-01-12, 05:23 PM
bryan767
Lexus Test Driver

updates!

Old 06-01-12, 10:24 PM
DoomLight
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

supra's have a pusher fan on the right side condensor anyway. that tiny fan on the radiator side hardly pulls anything
Old 06-02-12, 05:31 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by DoomLight
supra's have a pusher fan on the right side condensor anyway. that tiny fan on the radiator side hardly pulls anything
disagree.. those of us on full standalones have the luxury of seeing coolant temps in real time as opposed to just watching the oem gauge which doesnt move until it see's approx 15-20 degree jump or drop in temp ...

the aux fan is there to stabilize temps not entirely reduce temps . my car runs cooler then most 2jzs out there according to my tuner .. in 90 degree weather my temps are between 169-174 however the moment a/c is engaged it starts to climb to 178-185 depending if im in stop and go traffic or not , adding the aux fan pulling just enough of the heat away from condensor and thru rad will and does keep the temp steady in the mid 170's .. another friend had engine running hot issues like 195-205 . he as well installed the supra setup and temps now remain 175-182

btw i have trd 160 deg thermo and 2 bottles of water wetter and mishimoto rad
Old 06-28-12, 06:04 PM
BAD954BOI
Lexus Champion

So what's up with the update in how they work...

Quick Reply: Fan on ac condensor