Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

2JZGTE idle low, rich, A/F read 12.5

Old 05-23-12, 08:49 PM
biturbo632
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2JZGTE idle low, rich, A/F read 12.5

Hi!

I hope 2JZGTE guys here could help me!!

I've been searching all around the internet and here and couldn't find the right answer I'm looking for!

So a friend and I just finished a 2JZGTE swap into my Toyota Soarer and now that it started, the idle is low, around 600rpm, and smell unburned gaz from the exhaust,

The A/F read 12.5 so that's pretty rich

After 5min of warming, idle change to 800, but still rich with the 12.5 reading of the A/F.

So my questions are:

What the ****** have we done wrong?

And how to we fix it?

Thanks guys!
Old 05-23-12, 09:11 PM
blk&blu*j
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by biturbo632
Hi!

I hope 2JZGTE guys here could help me!!

I've been searching all around the internet and here and couldn't find the right answer I'm looking for!

So a friend and I just finished a 2JZGTE swap into my Toyota Soarer and now that it started, the idle is low, around 600rpm, and smell unburned gaz from the exhaust,

The A/F read 12.5 so that's pretty rich

After 5min of warming, idle change to 800, but still rich with the 12.5 reading of the A/F.

So my questions are:

What the ****** have we done wrong?

And how to we fix it?

Thanks guys!

Sorry need a little more info. Extended harness, injectors, management, FPR, age of fuel.upgrade fuel pump or pumps????????
Old 05-24-12, 03:26 AM
Cleanshots
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

sounds like the o2 sensor(s) may not be reading or need replacing.. mine ran like **** and got terrible gas millage i changed the o2 sensors and it gave me more power, better mpg and all around much better and happier car.
Old 05-24-12, 10:22 AM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by blk&blu*j
Sorry need a little more info. Extended harness, injectors, management, FPR, age of fuel.upgrade fuel pump or pumps????????
What he said. if you are using the 1J harness and ECU and JDM 440 injectors, you can expect to run rich.
Old 05-24-12, 05:26 PM
biturbo632
Pole Position

sooo for the info, stock 2JZGTE from an Aristo, not extended harness as I have a soarer rhd, but do have solding work for the body plug to match the 2JZ bodyloom harness and the 40pin plug on the 2JZ ecu.

Stock injector from this engine, haven't been changed, never tested it's his first starts since I buy the engine in chrismas.

No management yet installed but soon, old fuel from septembre when I broke my 1JZ. stock soarer fuel pump!

Need more info?

Originally Posted by Cleanshots
sounds like the o2 sensor(s) may not be reading or need replacing.. mine ran like **** and got terrible gas millage i changed the o2 sensors and it gave me more power, better mpg and all around much better and happier car.
As I was having bad reading from the o2 sensor on the 1JZ and that it may one of the cause it broke, I've installed a brand new one already. We check it and seem to be wire correctly. (plug was already into the 2JZ harness so.

Originally Posted by stockhatch
What he said. if you are using the 1J harness and ECU and JDM 440 injectors, you can expect to run rich.
That's a 2JZGTE from Toyota Aristo, with the harness and ECU. the 1JZ part we sold in was for the body loom as I wrote up. And surely jdm 440 as they aren't changed. So the problem could be the injector itself?
Old 05-24-12, 06:26 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

I would inspect the MAP sensor circuit. Does the car rev clean?
Old 05-24-12, 09:50 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

12.5 afr is not that rich at all
Old 05-25-12, 11:06 AM
biturbo632
Pole Position

I would inspect the MAP sensor circuit. Does the car rev clean?
either the map sensor from the 2jz, or from my 1jz, do the same thing.. no change, and I do not thing the would be both broken. Was working correctly on the 1jz in fact!

Originally Posted by xspsi6
12.5 afr is not that rich at all
when it's suppose to be 14.7? well I find that rich..... and smell it too!!
Old 05-25-12, 11:42 AM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Yeah you're right. 12.5 is way rich once the car is up to temp. So does the car rev clean through the RPM range? Does the CEL work, and are there any codes?
Old 05-25-12, 12:34 PM
blk&blu*j
Lexus Test Driver

I realize as stated you swapped maps 1J-2J but have you actually checked the continuity from the map to the ECU ?
Also try checking the coolant temp sensor as this will also put the car in a sort of limp mode the car will dump fuel for safety and pull timing, just a suggestion
Old 05-25-12, 07:59 PM
sikes
Driver School Candidate

You sure all plus are firing? I would go over coil and plugs just to be sure.
Old 05-25-12, 09:22 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

did you drive it around? if you just start it up and let it idle, it wont learn to lean out and will just run rich.
you have to actually drive it around for the ecu to start learning from the o2 sensor.
if after 20-30 minutes of city/highway driving you arent seeing any changes, check the wiring on the o2 sensors.

also make sure you are using a heated o2 sensor for best results.
Old 05-27-12, 09:52 AM
biturbo632
Pole Position

Yeah you're right. 12.5 is way rich once the car is up to temp. So does the car rev clean through the RPM range? Does the CEL work, and are there any codes?
What is the CEL? It does rev very clean throug the RPM range.

I realize as stated you swapped maps 1J-2J but have you actually checked the continuity from the map to the ECU ?
Also try checking the coolant temp sensor as this will also put the car in a sort of limp mode the car will dump fuel for safety and pull timing, just a suggestion
We didn't check the continuity of the Map sensor but my friend went another way for checking it and It seem to work.

Didn't think about the coolant temp sensor!! I'll check that!! Thanks!

Originally Posted by sikes
You sure all plus are firing? I would go over coil and plugs just to be sure.
The connector of the coils are brand new, the coils have been checked, and the spark plugs are news. Everything spark beautifully thanks!

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
did you drive it around? if you just start it up and let it idle, it wont learn to lean out and will just run rich.
you have to actually drive it around for the ecu to start learning from the o2 sensor.
if after 20-30 minutes of city/highway driving you arent seeing any changes, check the wiring on the o2 sensors.

also make sure you are using a heated o2 sensor for best results.

Thanks!!

You've got it for one of the two problems!!!! The ecu seem to have learn everything for the o2 sensor as my car no longer run rich, at idle, hot, it stay between 14.3 and 14.8!!! Pretty perfect to me!

But at cold start, the rpm is still at 600rpm.. Don't know why yet! If you know something let me know!!
Old 05-27-12, 02:40 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Glad your hot afr seems worked out now What is the afr at cold start?

CEL is check engine light.
Old 05-27-12, 07:52 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

I knew it was that because my aristo ecu idles at the same thing before it learns/warms up, so it had to be the o2 sensor. I also noticed it took me like 3 drives after a battery reset before it started to move from that afr. like it was a slow learner but got there eventually.. lol.

check your idle air control valve, if it is functioning but maxed out, you may need to set the throttle stop position (crack the tb open some) to help give it some more room to self adjust (it can only open so much on its own). I bumped mine up to about 900rpms, cause I have a killer clutch.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2JZGTE idle low, rich, A/F read 12.5