Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Sc 1j clutch questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-12, 05:00 PM
scweetfl02
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sc 1j clutch questions

I'm switching out a clutch soon on my sc and I wanted to know what the easiest way is to swap it out... Or will I have to remove the whole tranny...
Old 05-17-12, 05:05 PM
scweetfl02
Driver School Candidate

This is my first time ever switching out a clutch and I'm doing it alone so the easier the better lol any suggestion or inquiries will be appreciated
Old 05-17-12, 05:30 PM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Heres a few tips in random order as they come to mind...

Get the car as high up as your jackstands can safety afford. Level if at all possible.

You have to either drop the trans into the tranny tunnel and pull it back, or pull the motor out (which would be a very ***-backwards way to do it)

The throwout bearing and sleeve are held to the trans by the shift fork so you have to disconnect the fork OR just unbolt the fork through the side inspection plate/hole.

Make sure you have a new pilot bearing (or bushing if applicable), clutch alignment toy, and throwout bearing

A tranny jack from Harbor Freight is the best ~$60 bucks you can spend if you want to do this solo.

Grease the splines when putting it all back together.

Many manufacturers encourage a ~500 mile break in of easy driving. I like to break mine in by going WOT as soon as possible. A few of my clutches (especially the Tiltons) would slip for the first ~20ish miles or so and smoked a bit. The OEM replacement style usually does not.
Old 05-17-12, 05:46 PM
scweetfl02
Driver School Candidate

Ok thanks dude and the tranny tunnel? Sorry I'm 15 so this is new... You mean unbolt it from the engine and let it rest on a jack? And I'm throwing on a 6 pluck sprung act, holds about 630 torque :0
Old 05-17-12, 05:57 PM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Forgot to mention that you pretty much need to disconnect the driveshaft (easier to just drop it entirely)
Unbolt the trans from the motor and if you have the tranny jack you can roll the trans backwards into the space where the driveshaft used to be. If no tranny jack, you need to balance the trans on a regular floor jack with a wood board on it. Not easy if you're doing this alone because that trans is usually a biotch to pull off the motor. I wouldn't do it alone unless I had my tranny jack. The weight of the trans is pretty far back so if you do the board and floorjack approach remember to keep it pretty far back.

You'll like the sprung 6-puck. Pretty street friendly. Almost as smooth as a fullface sprung.
Old 05-17-12, 06:17 PM
addisonblc
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i did a diy on this about two months ago. theres a bunch of info on here to be found but be warned!!! if its your first time doin this and your doin it yourself.... .you might wanna think about bribing a good friend who knows a thing or two to help you. G/L though op
Old 05-17-12, 06:39 PM
scweetfl02
Driver School Candidate

Ok guys thanks for all the info I appreciate it and yeah I think I might get my dad to help out
Old 05-17-12, 08:30 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

What kind of torque is your 1JZ putting down? I just put in the ACT stage 4 clutch, 6 spring and just about hate it. Its too aggressive for daily driver for now. It has maybe 250 miles on it. I hope it gets better. Shifts great when you are always in it, and revving, but crappy when just wanting to go easy. JMO.. Get some help and GL..