Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

rack and pinion leak

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-12, 12:55 PM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rack and pinion leak

Is it possible for oil to leak or just the atf used for the power steering? I noticed a nice spill yesterday morning from something leaking. I assumed the worst since my low oil level light has been coming on. I took it in to be looked at and the only leak is the rack and pinion. Just curious if ours possible to repair rather than buying another unit and if its oil leaking or just the atf. Also would it be possible the leak is related to the low oil level warning light coming on once the car is warm
Old 05-16-12, 02:09 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's better to replace the entire R&P with a rebuilt unit. I believe they are under $200 these days with warranty. You can confirm if it's the rack and pinion by placing a piece of white foam or something that can show what color the fluid is and possibly leak location. I was in a similar situation and had a heavy leak on the pavement under my car. I wasn't sure if it was oil, PS, coolant, etc. I placed a piece of white foam under my car with some bricks to hold it down, and checked it a few days later. The color was bright red. I got under the car and noticed a lot of fluid on the power steering hose. I have a feeling either it has a crack or the pump is leaking from above. I just had this pump replaced a few months ago so I'll need to get another. So my advice is to get under the car and start looking around. Mess around with the rack boots and see if fluid comes pouring out. If so, it's time to replace it.
Old 05-16-12, 07:54 PM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well I did have to fill the ps fluid reservoir last week...my best guess is it left a massive puddle because the driveway is on an incline and it was sitting puddled on that black lower cover...the oil and ps steering levels were fine when I checked after seeing the leak.